The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

skin softening/retouching in C1Pro6?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello all,

I have shot two models with the Sony A850 in the studio, and processed in C1Pro6.

I would like to stay in this software to complete the job—I have played around with the uniformity slider in the skin tone tab—but all I really need is some local softening à la Aperture 'skin softening' brushes.

Suggestions, please. I could output TIFFs after correcting in C16, then do the retouching on the TIFFs in Aperture, but would like to see if this can be done in C16.

Cheers, KL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
That Kit is a slippery slope.
All of this homogenized and pasteurized skin drives me batty, and personally, I think that if you are going to bother, then it deserves the care of a full-up hand retouch.
-bob

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Bob, I totally agree re homogenised and pasteurised—so I chose not to go the Uniformity route.

So export TIFFS and use either PS or Aperture's Quick Brushes would be your suggestion? Cheers, KL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Each to his own, but I still use the old-school frequency separation technique in PS using the healing brush to copy texture where I want it. The problem with this content aware fill is that it is just weird sometimes and pits the strangest texture in the repaired spots. Weird, especially when all the skin around the fix is sharp and the repairs spot is soft. Bah, until it gets much better, I will still use the old school technique.
-bob

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I still believe PS is the best for subtle retouching. Lots of "old" techniques that can be used sparingly to build a believable and flattering skin retouch.

One thing I've noticed in C1 is the ability to drag a negative amount of Clarity. It tends to soften things and can sometimes be interesting. If you could spot-apply it, it might be worth trying.

Best,
Tim

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Bob, what I really want is some sort of 'locally appliable' skin softening in C1. As far as I know there is not that control in C1, but I so far from being an expert in this software that the right descriptor does not come to mind; hence the post here.

Tim, can clarity be applied on an adjustment layer? I will have to check that out.

It's looking like export TIFFs to Aperture may turn out to the the most painless approach. Still waiting to hear from the Gurus!