The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

working on photo meant for enlargement

gooomz

what is the proper digital workflow method to work on a photo meant to be enlarged to say 16x24 or 11x14, or does the size of output really not effect the way a photo is worked on in a editing software like ps or aperture?

are any adjustments more critical or one should be more attentive to when printing big?

thanks

weinschela

Subscriber Member
what is the proper digital workflow method to work on a photo meant to be enlarged to say 16x24 or 11x14, or does the size of output really not effect the way a photo is worked on in a editing software like ps or aperture?

are any adjustments more critical or one should be more attentive to when printing big?

thanks
For me, what works is making all adjustments prior to resizing, except for output sharpening. If the resize is moderate I will just do it in CS5. If I want to go really big (such as 17 x 25 on an Epson 3880) i will use Genuine Fractals (latest version now known as "Perfect Resize". I rarely do noise reduction as I shoot at Iso 160 most of the time, but I think I'd do that after resizing also.

gooomz

when working on those photos that will be printed big 16x24 or larger, do you try to work on the files sized at 100%, or is full screen on a 27in imac good enough?

not sure since sometimes might be working on a file that is 8x12 on screen and you make all the adjustments looks perfect, but when you enlarge it to 16x24, get it printed, not sure if things always look the same.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I do not always review at 100%. The 27 inch screen is more than adequate. Of course if you are cropping heavily, you may want to have a look at actual pixels. But I go to 17 x 25 off a M9 frequently without worrying about it. The files take enlargement very well.

David Schneider

If sending to a good professional lab, you can send them just about anything and they will produce a good print. I usually send images 300dpi, but my lab doesn't like files that are too big actually. I think they want files under 150 megs. The software the lab uses generally runs around $5k so it blows away anything you can do in Photoshop or whatever. I've got a 20x24 in my studio that was made from a file meant for just emailing the client, maybe 1000 pixels wide at 72dpi and the print is fine.

If printing your own, see recommendations of your printer, but probably 300 dpi at size of the print. 16x20 isn't a large print and Photoshop will rez it up nicely. Sharpen as the last step before printing.