The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adobe Carousel announced

bradhusick

subscription only, intro price of $59 per year until Jan, then $99 per year if you sign up after jan

Terry

I'm trying to figure out the utility of it considering the price. I presume it could displace something like Smugmug or Zenfolio for some users and then the pricing gets to be about the same. I would like to see what processing technology they wrap around it.

Photoshop Express or whatever they called their original online cloud based service had some weird terms and conditions.

Also want to see what you can store locally vs. cloud based.

It is intriguing though.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>like Smugmug or Zenfolio

Not sure you have something like nice galleries.

>subscription only, intro price of $59 per year until Jan, then $99 per year if you sign up after jan

$59 for unlimited storage would be not too bad if it works well with larger volume and larger files (JPEG only anyway).

On the other side it stress a 3G account easily.

>Also want to see what you can store locally vs. cloud based.

I assume locally you have only some cache.

I think the cloud has to improve a lot to be usable for direct online access. I would not really trust it anyway.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I watched the demo at PS world ... I can't see anyway I'd use it - unless maybe if it was free. Not sure who their target market is

bradhusick

It was designed for families and friends to share snapshots across all their devices. It's not really designed for photographers.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
It was designed for families and friends to share snapshots across all their devices. It's not really designed for photographers.
And do they have a strong presence in that market? Very few of my non-photographer friends (which are those type of individuals) own anything by adobe, and while most of them have heard the word Photoshop, and many also have heard of "adobe" very few can tell you that Adobe is the maker of photoshop.

I guess my point would be if that's their target market, the price of entry seems a little steep ...

bradhusick

Wayne, I tend to agree with you. There are so many online photo sharing tools that are free so it's hard to believe that someone would lay down $100 per year for Carousel. The one interesting feature from the demo is the collaborative, non-destructive editing that is possible. I could see an art department using it from multiple locations (photographer on the road, editor in house) but other than that it seemed a little unguided.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I get a feeling that it's photo storage and management (via a web interface) for mobile devices, phones in particular.

Not sure why Adobe would get into this... they're not exactly known for easy to use end-user products. Apple yes, Adobe no.