The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Problem: Image drawing C1 vs actual file

Christopher

Hi,

I just wanted to post here to see whether this behavior is normal or what the problem could be ?

Here are two Screen graps: One showing a part of the image in C1 the other onew shows the file opened in PS. The second image pair is the same but at 100%

As one can see the C1 shows the dark areas as black. Which they aren't or at least not when I open the processed file in PS. The PS file was converted with the settings which can be seen in C1, which is a lot to dark in the shadows. Any ideas ? Thx

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Christopher:

What are your view>proof-profile settings in C1? Default is "Selected Recipe." So next, what recipe do you have HIGHLIGHTED when are you editing in in C1 -- not which do you have checked for output processing, but which is highlighted as it is the highlighted one that determines the proof profile?

Next, in CS, do you have use embedded profile for viewing, and is CS set to automatically convert or warn about profile mis-matches?

I had a similar issue until I set my main output and highlighted recipe in C1 to 16-bit profoto (OR 16-bit camera*), then use profoto in CS with a "warn" dialog on mis-matches. *Note that if using 16-bit camera in C1 you need to load that specific camera profile into CS or your system library for it to be seen and converted to by CS.

PS: I will move this thread to the image processing section in a day or so for posterity.

Christopher

I will check C1 in a second. In PS there is no miss match, the raw files in converted as ProPhoto and the workingspace in CS is ProPhoto.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I will check C1 in a second. In PS there is no miss match, the raw files in converted as ProPhoto and the workingspace in CS is ProPhoto.
Okay, so in C1 you have to have a recipe using profoto highlighted or you will have that problem. Note that when you start a new session in C1, NO recipe is automatically selected and I believe the default viewing space is Adobe RGB -- which is a *really* frustrating aspect of C1 to me; having to remember to highlight a profoto recipe before I start editing...

Christopher

This probably could be the problem, as I recently started to use sessions. I will check it once my computer decides to be finished with updating windows ^^

Christopher

"Selected Recipe" was selected, but when I change it to "ProPhoto" the images gets "redrawn" but stays pretty much the same. Still really dark. When I use the cursor aboth the dark areas it shows something around 3-12 in pixel value, but it is pitch black on the display. (as can be seen in the screen shot)

Terry

I am no C1 expert but do you have any sort of style preset being applied when you import it.

Christopher

Nope, but if i did shouldnt this Be also visible when exported? I mean everything I change in c1 should be the same on the exported file. And as I wrote the RGB values are fine, just the shadow rendering is to dark.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
That shouldn't matter as the proof view should resemble what is output. It would have to be a correction CS is applying.

Are you using a wide-gamut monitor? I am wondering if the C1 proof is being display limited, but the conversion applied during processing out is better picked up by CS, and then CS has an easier job of interpolating to your monitor?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Chris go under VIEW than go to Proof Profile make sure you are at Profoto their.

Just noticed mine was Adobe RGB and not matching my processing reciepe Profile of Profoto

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Funny thing is i just went into my processed files from Yosemite last weekend on my NEC monitor and lightened everything up. So looks like on my laptop on the road I was off too. I wonder if this is a bug or at least they should auto match each other from recipe to proof profile. Hmmm

Folks may want to check this. I know I updated C1 last week and did not look here.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Have you profiled your monitor?

Soft proofing in c1 DEPENDS on a profiled monitor - without it the proofing will be errant.

I dont mean accuracy or nuance; I mean it doesn't work right.

Christopher

Well, its a CG301 which is Hardware calibrated and profiled. As far As i Know if i Open the RAW Files in Camera RAW the shadows are displayed as they should. ( I will check it later )

So the problem is limited to C1.

Christopher

Ok small update, it must be a profile problem, but so far I haven't figured out what is wrong. The profile looks good, validation is fine, Photoshop and Lightroom work fine with the current profil, but C1 doesn't. If i switch it off the file rendering looks fine in C1. So I will try to find the error.

Calibration and Profiling is done with CN 6 and i1 pro.

Christopher

Ok I recalibrated everything with i1 display pro and i1 profiler and C1 works fine. Very strange even if I switch between profiles ALL (LR,firefox,CS) stay the same C1 is the only program showing this kind of change.

Now I really have to find a way to use some hardware calibration with the i1 Display Pro. nice device but kinda wasted on a Eizo CG screen if it only makes a profile and changes the Video LUT.

Christopher

I wanted to add, while the image is now drawn a lot better. It still looks even cleaner when viewed in PS or printed. However, only sliglty in the darkest shadows.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Christopher,

One last question: What rendering intent do you have your C1 prefs set to, and what RI do you use for CS and LR, and do you use Black Point Compensation? RI and BPC can make a pretty big difference in taking a Profoto file to sRGB, especially in the blacks...

Ben Rubinstein

I've always had the opposite, it's why I gave up on C1 in the end, it was always coming out darker in PS. I have to try the profile thingy and see if that fixes it!