The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Inconsistent sharpness with Panny G2 photos - varies with viewing software

Finally, Ive worked out how to transfer the photos from my Panasonic G2 on to my PC. This is the first time that Ive done such a thing since I'm used to shooting with film. However, now that the images are on the computer, Ive noticed some oddities. Viewing the photos with PhotofunStudio, the JPEG images look impressively clear and sharp though straight lines appear jagged in a stair-step type pattern.

Viewing the same photos through Picasso, the images look a little softer – certainly not as impressive looking. Using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer makes an improvement – the photos look sharper but not quite as sharp as when viewing them with PhotofunStudio. However, straight lines are improved with less jaggedness.

Is this sort of thing normal with digital camera photo files? I'm used to working with scanned film images and they generally show the same consistent degree of sharpness, regardless of what software I use to view them with.

I don't suppose there's anything that can be done to ensure the G2 images remain consistently sharp with different software? If they looked the same (sharpness wise) as they do in PhotofunStudio, then I would be most happy. I admit that I haven't really explored this software to any great degree. There's not some output setting or something that optimises the images for viewing with other software?

Hmmm...Ive just noticed something. I selected Picture Viewer to view the photos and it looks like I'm getting about the same degree of sharpness and detail as PhotofunStudio. Hard to say if the stair-stepping is as severe though.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
If you really want to see what the competent little G2 is capable of, I suggest you shoot raw and use a raw processor. I use Lightroom, but the less intuitive Silkypix comes free with the G2. There is a learning curve when you go from film to digital. If you shoot raw, you can sharpen to taste.