Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Using CS4 or earlier: read Adobe's new policy

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Using CS4 or earlier: read Adobe's new policy

    Adobe is changing their policy on upgrades. Going forward, you will need to own the current version to qualify for an upgrade. This means you need CS5 to upgrade to CS6. So, you may need to upgrade to CS5...I guess Adobe needs revenue and wants you to do that now because they are offering a discount until the end of the year.

    http://www.petapixel.com/2011/11/16/...to-cs5-owners/

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Using CS4 or earlier: read Adobe's new policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Adobe is changing their policy on upgrades. Going forward, you will need to own the current version to qualify for an upgrade. This means you need CS5 to upgrade to CS6. So, you may need to upgrade to CS5...I guess Adobe needs revenue and wants you to do that now because they are offering a discount until the end of the year.

    http://www.petapixel.com/2011/11/16/...to-cs5-owners/
    Thanks Terry
    I'm still on CS3 . . . and, to be honest, I think this will seal their fate - there's so little I really need in the new version of photoshop, which I can't get from Aperture and the NIK software plugins, that maybe it's just time to say goodbye!

    Just this guy you know

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Using CS4 or earlier: read Adobe's new policy

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Thanks Terry
    I'm still on CS3 . . . and, to be honest, I think this will seal their fate - there's so little I really need in the new version of photoshop, which I can't get from Aperture and the NIK software plugins, that maybe it's just time to say goodbye!
    Interesting you say that Jono. I've had PS since 2 or 3 and upgraded each time until CS3. I guess Lightroom beta 1.0 came out during that version. As LR has upgraded to 3 I find less and less reason to go to PS--maybe occasional layers for combining some brackets but not much more. LR does what I need (and even allows use of many plugins as you say) and I'm sure Aperture for you. I've considered upgrading to CS5 recently because I could upgrade without having to start from scratch but now this--I think this is as far as I go with PS. I had sort of already decided I really didn't need more than CS3 and this sort of cinches it. I'm just not planning on upgrading PS every version and that appears to be their plan.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Using CS4 or earlier: read Adobe's new policy

    It's really much more than that. Adobe is most likely going to be rolling out a subscription model starting with CS6 and they want everyone to switch over to it. CS5.5 will be eligible for upgrade pricing. CS5 will probably only get a small discount. To be totally honest, it makes me want to consider moving to Aperture and get out of Lightroom and Adobe all together.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Using CS4 or earlier: read Adobe's new policy

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Thanks Terry
    I'm still on CS3 . . . and, to be honest, I think this will seal their fate - there's so little I really need in the new version of photoshop, which I can't get from Aperture and the NIK software plugins, that maybe it's just time to say goodbye!
    Just remember that Photography accounts for about 6% of Photoshop's user base ...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Using CS4 or earlier: read Adobe's new policy

    I think that's why I'm hoping for a really good Lightroom upgrade---which IS aimed at us. Its come so far and is so close to what I need in the develop module (the other modules work really well for me).

  7. #7
    Member Craftysnapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Using CS4 or earlier: read Adobe's new policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    It's really much more than that. Adobe is most likely going to be rolling out a subscription model starting with CS6 and they want everyone to switch over to it. CS5.5 will be eligible for upgrade pricing. CS5 will probably only get a small discount. To be totally honest, it makes me want to consider moving to Aperture and get out of Lightroom and Adobe all together.
    I'd agree with that and also consider that probably only one in a hundred copies of CS is not a boot legged copy, then a eventual subscription only CS would end piracy all together.

    They have probably crunched the numbers and decided it more profitable to do a monthly contribution to the dedicated pro's then the money they will lose from legit buyers that upgrade every two or three versions.

    Lightroom and Elements will do me fine from now on , goodbye CS.

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Using CS4 or earlier: read Adobe's new policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Just remember that Photography accounts for about 6% of Photoshop's user base ...
    Exactly! While I use PS less than in the past because of the advancements in LR, LR would have to add a huge amount of functionality to eliminate PS from my software pallet.

    Plus, The Creative Suite with In Design is the most used graphic arts software in the USA ... and for all I know the world.

    As long as Adobe provides value for money with PS upgrades, I'm okay with the new policy, but if LR keeps going in the direction it has, and adds some of the current PS functionality I could see not needing further iterations of PS.

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: Using CS4 or earlier: read Adobe's new policy

    Has anyone sat and worked out the prices for the subscription model versus buying outright? I did it for CS Extended. You end up paying the full value of the software ($999) once every 20 months.

    If this is really the way they are going then photographers can practically forget being able to afford photoshop any more...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  10. #10
    greyscale
    Guest

    Re: Using CS4 or earlier: read Adobe's new policy

    Just found this, I hope as a CS4 user, that Kelby has some influence at Adobe

    http://www.scottkelby.com/

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •