The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 questions

jlm

Workshop Member
running C1 v 6.3.1, Mac

I created a custom workspace and saved it as jlm, now i want to edit it, as i use a dual monitor setup. what happens now is i select the jlm space, but if i have the second monitor on, it defaults to single monitor. if i select dual monitor, it defaults the the default workspace.

I also could not figure out how to change the tool bar icon for the custom workspace "1, in a frame" so something like Doug's letter "Q"

thx

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi John,

Start with your jim space. Select the second monitor, then drag whatever panels and tools you want to the second monitor, add whatever tools and tabs you want to the main screen -- these can be stacked normally or free-floating.

To add a tab, like the Q or even a custom one of your design, right-click on the bar between existing tabs and the customization menu for the tabs comes up. Once you have the space organized how you want it, save it as something like "jlm dual".

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I also could not figure out how to change the tool bar icon for the custom workspace "1, in a frame" so something like Doug's letter "Q"
Right click on the tool tab icons (e.g. directly on the camera icon that denotes the Capture Tab). "Add tool tab".

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

jlm

Workshop Member
rhe conundrum being when i am in jlm space and i select the 2nd monitor, the sapce defaults to ... the default space!

so I basically have to start over to re-create my custom space, but when setting up my new space (I found the Quick tool tab; thanks, dougie), have the dual monitor going with some tools on it as well as on the main screen.

next question:

yesterday i started C1, a previous session was loaded, put a card in the reader, Import screen does not pop up, so I choose file, import images, get import screen. my destination options are "session folder" (I assume this is the currently opened session), but the tab brings up two other optional existing sessions, both old, shows session folder with a check (i assume the default is the open session), and a "select folder choice. If I select folder, i get dumped to the root directory.

i would have expected a "new session" option, so i could create one and then load to it.

jlm

Workshop Member
another one:

i was in a session, tweaked files and went to process, however the default location that came up for the output was the output file for a different session. should it not have been for the session i was working in?

also, the output recipe did not seem to have an option to output tif and jpg, where do i find that?

thx

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
John,

You create the recipe in the C1 recipe output tab. Here if you select jpeg, you can also select quality %, and if you click on advanced, you can select a specific output size, and even send them to dedicated subfolders. Make sure to save this with a descriptive name, like "jpeg 1200px" or similar.

Re importing. My advice is always be in the session you want to import to. Once you insert the card and the import dialog comes up, you will import into the existing session by default. You can change that on the import dialog. As re output, when you start the import session outside your existing session, the output folder defaults to the one for the session you are in. Again, you can manually change that in the import dialog. All of that is a long way to explain why I like to always do my imports from within the session I want to import to, as all of the above is done automatically.

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks Jack, but I think i was following your advice:

"i was in a session, tweaked files and went to process, however the default location that came up for the output was the output file for a different session. should it not have been for the session i was working in?

i thought, re. jpg and tiff, you could have one recipe that would output both

jlm

Workshop Member
my primitive way of thinking would be:

open C1, screen comes up, dual monitors and my custom workspace; the last session opens with the appropriate input, output, select and trash subfolders ready to go.

If I want to work on a new project, i setup a new session (name and location), which results in that session opening, and it's subfolders are the active ones. Then I pop a card in the reader. the import dialog box either opens automatically of i select Import. highlight the files i want to import, maybe use a style, applied to all, then click on import (here i would like to use tetherd so the files go into a Capture subfolder and they go to the right place.

here is what happens:

i open C1: no workspace at all shows up, I just have the Capture One header on the apple top bar. Sometimes I get a dialog box labeled Recent Sessions, with an earlier session highlightd, not necessarily the last one opened, and several others listed. I would like to open a New Session, so i click on, duh, "new session" which is what I want. my workspace comes up, and I'm in the new session, session name at the top

doesn't always work this way, and I may have just figured it out. sometimes, it opens with the last session, I don't get the new session dialog box but have to setup a new while still in the old session. I think what happens is that if you quit C1 by hitting the red button first (closing the session and workspace then cntrl Q, to close C1, the next time you open C1 from scratch you get the new session dialog.
if instead you just close C1 directly with the cntrl Q, the next time you open C1 from scratch, it opens with the last session

egad and eureka!

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
another one:

my sensor cover glass seems to have a tiny defect. Doug suggested i could: make s style containing an LCC using spot removal to eliminate the defect and use that style when importing every file. Doesn't an LCC have to be lens specific? or by only enabling spot removal, and not the other corrections, is that moot?

i assume I can make some sort of import recipe using that style that will be my default

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
by only enabling spot removal, and not the other corrections, is that moot?

i assume I can make some sort of import recipe using that style that will be my default
By enabling only spot removal the lens does not matter.

Yes you can import with a style applied by default.

You could also use a single "spot removal" adjustment as part of your default style to eliminate the sensor spot. I couldn't tell you which of those will work better in practice because it will depend on the size/shape of the spot and how often you change lenses etc. My gut feeling is you should actually go against my initial advice and do a spot-removal adjustment rolled into a default style you apply upon import.

jlm

Workshop Member
I am trying to get my DB copy of C1 to load, but when i try to start up: go to activate, check DB option, am told i have to re-launch; i check the relaunch button, C! quits, I re-start, process repeats.

I also have a purchased copy (good for only 2 seats) that I run on my home laptop and my macpro, but wanted this DB copy (that came with the IQ160) on an older mbpro for tethering.

jlm

Workshop Member
I seem to be stupefied over what is probably quite simple.

I am undertaking a re-organizing, so where previously I had simply imported images to a file structure of my own creation, I am now attempting to create new Sessions (un-tethered, with a capture folder) suitably organized on my drive. When the new Session is created, it also opens same Session. Then using the library, i open the file where my images are, highlight and move to the capture folder, also moving any processed files to the output folder, all in the new Session. works fine.

however, now instead of creating a new Session, i want to open a previous Session. If i simply click on the Session folder in the library, the previous Session stays active instead. If i try "Open Session", i get the "Pictures" root directory, so i migrate to my root of the hard drive, select the folder containing my previously created Sessions, highlight and "Open" the folder i want, and then instead of that Session opening, i get a breakout of it's folder contents: xxx.col150, capture, output, selects. trash. Highlighting the xxx.col file and selecting "open" will finally open the session I wanted.

seems quite convoluted to simply move from one Session to another.

I am also adding keywords to images, but cannot seem to batch add the same keywords to a selected group of images, have to do it one image at a time.

eventually, i would like to be able to create a file containing a sort of global list of processed images gathered from over several sessions, sorted by the keywords. (Using the Smart Album function only works inside a particular session, not over several sessions, as r\far as i can tell)

thx

I seem to be stupefied over what is probably quite simple.
I'm hoping for some answers to this also.

I am NOT open to software that micromanages where / how I store my files. If this session business isn't bypassable, or if it doesn't happen to have options that fit with how I want to work with my images, it will be a dealbreaker for C1. I don't care how good the processing is. I'm not having it.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Nah, C1 is the most flexible when it comes to where you store your images (other than access across a network which is not a strong suit for C1).

Why don't you two email me and set up a time to come in for a free quick intro to sessions at the office on 35th? [email protected]

jlm

Workshop Member
may be a a couple of simple clarifications would help:

1. I cold start C1 and the drop down menu shows up, with several recent sessions listed, also New Session, Open Session options. However, this only happens if the last time i quit C1 I first closed the session by hitting the red button. If not, or if I did but had another session open as well, even though not visible, C1 opens with that last session also open.

2. So if I do get the drop down (this implies I have no sessions open) and select Open Session, I get sent to my Pictures folder (not what i need), so I go to my root drive and select the folder containing my images, then a sub-folder, and if that had been an actual Session, click the .col50 file and the session will open.
(I suppose with C1 not started, i could do all of this by simply clicking on the .col50, which would open C1 and that session)
at the top of the Session screen is the folder name, but with no path info, making it semi-useful, as I use YYYY-MM-DD-(text) for folder naming, so I may have duplications if not clarfied by including the path.

3. now i want to open a second session, easily done under the file heading, open session, etc. and it opens, but where is the other open session (I suppose it is minimized?) I can't seem to find how to have multiple sessions viewable: not under: File, Edit, View or Window. If i do close the one open session (red dot) the other hidden session will fill the screen.

any comments appreciated. I like the Session concept, I think what are minor details are confusing

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Generally I find it confusing to users to have more than one session open. So I suggest you simply close the active session and open the other one. This is simplest way to work and leads to the least confusion.

However if you want to open more than one session, you have to change a setting in the "New Session" dialogue. Simply open any session, select [File > New Session], check the box marked "open in new window" and start the session. From then on whenever you open or start a new session a new window will be generated.

If/when you have more than one session open, they are two separate floating windows. Simply resize them to see both, or drag one out of the way, or minimize the top one.

I find it more logical to find a session in the finder and open it by double clicking the .col50 file than to open it within the C1 interface.

jlm

Workshop Member
Doug:

thanks as usual, very helpful. the only reason I wanted two open was to drag an image (with corrections,,etc.) from one session to another.

so today you are finally getting some nice weather in NYC, eh? enjoy it before the humidity ramps up!