Site Sponsors

Thread: New LED panels

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New LED panels

A link to a press release about LaCie LED monitors: http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/09/30.11.shtml

Sounds like the next wave in monitor accuracy has begun in earnest. Others will follow I'm sure.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New LED panels

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    A link to a press release about LaCie LED monitors: http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/09/30.11.shtml

Sounds like the next wave in monitor accuracy has begun in earnest. Others will follow I'm sure.
    Thanks for that, I was thinking of a new monitor . . . but I think I might have to wait a while for one of those :-(

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roger that. A 30" Apple Cinema is cheaper and still pretty darn good. Still, I'd love to see an LED panel in person.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tim, we were sort of all discussing this some time ago, so thanks for bringing it back to the front burner again. There are a few options like this starting to emerge, and none are terribly cheap. I think NEC and Samsung have something along these lines also. Folks were waiting/hoping to see if Apple revamped their LCD line-up and went with this LED technology. Still waiting on that.

It still raises the questions about price versus performance. I recall your needs really being high on the performance side for color matchings and things. Just wondering if you have had a chance to see/test any of these options yourself? Personally, I think the LED tech for these monitors should be outstanding. I keep holding out for a 30" solution, but just know the price is going to be steep. And, I also wonder about different levels of offerings within this tech. IOW, might there be higher and lower "grade" options, and how much difference might that make? We see that it makes a huge difference in the normal LCDs with their simple fluorescent backlight tech now. Just wondering out loud at this point.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lots of good questions that I too wish I had answers for.

For now, I'm very comfortable with my Eizo. But curious about what more is possible. If the LED gets us even closer to WYSIWYG, then it will be a nice alternative.

I do remember the conversation you mention, and wasn't there a comment by someone with technical experience who made the point that the bottleneck at this point is the output cable from the card to the monitor? I seem to remember that without the capability to transfer the bits, some get tossed no matter what your monitor is capable of displaying. If true, then a couple things will need to develop and converge before all that potential in the LED is realized.

hermie

What about the HP DreamColor Display (LP2480zx).
    Available accessories: Hood and HP's own 'Advanced Profiling Solution (including customized EyeOne Display with filters mated to the display)

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cach...0-225-121.html

This display was recently discussed on Apple Colorsync list. Look there for more info.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HP is sending me one for review (so their PR guy tells me). I have a Dell 3007WFP which is backlit the old-fashioned way (with a small bonfire and a large fresnel lens) and I will compare the output of the two. David Farkas has offered to let me compare them to the Eizo monitors he sells.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    HP is sending me one for review (so their PR guy tells me). I have a Dell 3007WFP which is backlit the old-fashioned way (with a small bonfire and a large fresnel lens) and I will compare the output of the two. David Farkas has offered to let me compare them to the Eizo monitors he sells.
    Carlos

Be careful about the loaners. Once you try the Eizo monitors you will unlikely want anything else. They are just fabulous (and really expensive but that's life) So dont try it unless you are prepared to buy it.

I bought mine about two years ago and would not think about buying another brand unless something very new and exciting hits the market.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, it's not just performance for me...it is the reliability and the guarantee as well. I have had three Apple monitors fail on me (two different cinema displays and one laptop display), and the Eizo just keeps going and going, along with the 5 year warranty...

I am definitely interested in the new technology though. It will be interesting to see what comes of it and when.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oddly enough, I thought my Dell 3007WFP was developing a dark smear due to uneven backlighting. On a hunch, I pulled the video card I was testing (ATI HD3870 Mac) and replaced it with my Apple approved 8800GT. Lo and behold, the smear went away! Go figure.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like wishful thinking on my part. Smear is still there.

On the LED panel front, Apple's new 24" display is the harbinger of things to come. I fully expect 20" and 30" models to be introduced at Macworld in January. This will likely coincide with a Mac Pro refresh and new video card options for existing Mac Pros. DisplayPort will allow panels to exceed current 8-bit/channel hardware restrictions.