The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LR4 released

cjlacz

Oh I am soo angry right now.

I went to buy LR4 tonight, after clicking buy three times and selecting the full versions I'm presented with the checkout screen. I log in and find my billing address is incorrect. I click on change for my country and it tells me I have to call their 1-800 number to change my billing country. (I'm in Japan, no international number given) I guess a 1-800 can be called from another country, either that or Skype lets it work. Finally reach a rep after dealing with the menu system. Insists on getting a call back number which I don't have. (Skype, didn't purchase that option) Finally agree upon an email address and I explain my problem. I'm told they don't have the ability to change my country and that my only option is to create a new account. Seriously? WTF is wrong with Adobe. I'm just trying to change my billing address to give them $125. I can't believe the hoops you have to jump through to buy crap online now.

I'm going to give it one more chance tomorrow then it's off to piratebay.

The stupidity of this just makes me so angry.

(not really angry, just really frustrated)

robertwright

the question is is it a compelling upgrade?

I played with the beta and I have to say I am very glad they included the option not use the new develop tools. I really couldn't get the hang of them.

Godfrey

the question is is it a compelling upgrade?

I played with the beta and I have to say I am very glad they included the option not use the new develop tools. I really couldn't get the hang of them.
Like with any new tools, there's a learning curve. They are providing some training videos. And, of course, for new camera support the old process versions aren't available.

Given the improvements I've been looking at with the Lr4 PB version, I'd say it was worth the re-training effort. (Never mind all the other new stuff that might be useful for those interested in producing books, working on videos, etc.)

Diane B

I actually really like the new processing technique. Once I watched the few videos by Julianne Kost I got it. The results are really an improvement over 3 and make the files shine. I haven't printed from it yet but I've really liked LR printing, haven't tried the new soft proofing but look forward to that. I may even try doing a simple book. I did try a test one in PDF and it worked out well.

jonoslack

I actually really like the new processing technique. Once I watched the few videos by Julianne Kost I got it. The results are really an improvement over 3 and make the files shine. I haven't printed from it yet but I've really liked LR printing, haven't tried the new soft proofing but look forward to that. I may even try doing a simple book. I did try a test one in PDF and it worked out well.
I rather agree . . . except
I did a number of printing comparisons with :eek: Aperture.
Then I took them to the office, an did some blind testing . . . . .

in every case the Aperture 3 prints were preferred . :wtf:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Joining this thread to see what develops (sorry, could not resist!).

Jono (asking as a fellow Aperture user), what does the latest LR have that A does not, to the extent that you want to play with it? TIA, kl

jonoslack

Hi Kit
I always check . . .this time I've been checking some other stuff, so I've spent a lot of time with LR4 . . . I was almost convinced to sacrifice the better organisation and cloning of Aperture .. . . almost . . . .then I did the print comparison, so I'm back to aperture with conviction. I just wish they'd keep up with camera updates!