Site Sponsors

Thread: Adobe rgb displays for editing

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Adobe rgb displays for editing

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my display, I have a Mac Pro dual core Xenon with DVI. I'm not interested in Apples 27 cinema display because the high gloss is very distracting, nice colors though. A wide gamut with at least 95% of Adobe RGB, so I can calibrate accurately. I know this is not an area to scrimp, but any input would be appreciated.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Adobe rgb displays for editing

The NEC monitors (NEC MultiSync PA271W-BK-SV 27" Widescreen PA271W-BK-SV B&H) are very highly regarded. That, or the 30", will be my next one. Not insanely expensive.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love my NEC 30"
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input, I'll look at the NEC. All this other talk of MP's and resolution In cameras such as the d800, and sometimes it' easy to forget that an accurate display is just as important,especially for magazines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another vote for the nec here.
    Only drawback is that it does run warm; that is emits heat.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

NEC PA271BK-SV2 here and am very pleased with it and ease/quality of calibration.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the PA271W and while it is a great screen, there are some smaller things which detract a bit from the enjoyment. First of all, it is plastic Solid plastic, but still very clearly plastic. Secondly, it makes noise. The backlighting source I believe is responsible for that. It is a quiet hum, but I hear it. I was not expecting that. My next won't make any noise. Thirdly, you have to fuc^H^Hiddle with the settings to get it to behave as expected. Originally, it wouldn't go to sleep when I put my Mac to sleep. Additionally, you need to fiddle with the colour space options to get it into a high gamut mode. Mine shipped in sRGB, inexplicably. Finally, sometimes it doesn't wake up when I wake my Mac, and I have to turn it off and on again.

All in all, I don't regret, but the lack of polish in these areas (something which Apple is normally awesome at) did take the edge off my enjoyment.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Apple 27" LED with some reservations last year due to the glossy surface. In use, I hardly notice it and the display quality is superb.

I like this display so much, and its sibling the Thunderbolt 27" display that I use in my office, that I'm buying a second Thunderbolt display for use at home when I upgrade my personal laptop a little later in the year. (My partner will then gracefully accept the gift of the 27" LED display ... ;-)

Godfrey