The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adobe rgb displays for editing

johnnygoesdigital

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my display, I have a Mac Pro dual core Xenon with DVI. I'm not interested in Apples 27 cinema display because the high gloss is very distracting, nice colors though. A wide gamut with at least 95% of Adobe RGB, so I can calibrate accurately. I know this is not an area to scrimp, but any input would be appreciated.

johnnygoesdigital

Thanks for the input, I'll look at the NEC. All this other talk of MP's and resolution In cameras such as the d800, and sometimes it' easy to forget that an accurate display is just as important,especially for magazines.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Another vote for the nec here.
Only drawback is that it does run warm; that is emits heat.
-bob

carstenw

I have the PA271W and while it is a great screen, there are some smaller things which detract a bit from the enjoyment. First of all, it is plastic :) Solid plastic, but still very clearly plastic. Secondly, it makes noise. The backlighting source I believe is responsible for that. It is a quiet hum, but I hear it. I was not expecting that. My next won't make any noise. Thirdly, you have to fuc^H^Hiddle with the settings to get it to behave as expected. Originally, it wouldn't go to sleep when I put my Mac to sleep. Additionally, you need to fiddle with the colour space options to get it into a high gamut mode. Mine shipped in sRGB, inexplicably. Finally, sometimes it doesn't wake up when I wake my Mac, and I have to turn it off and on again.

All in all, I don't regret, but the lack of polish in these areas (something which Apple is normally awesome at) did take the edge off my enjoyment.

Godfrey

I bought the Apple 27" LED with some reservations last year due to the glossy surface. In use, I hardly notice it and the display quality is superb.

I like this display so much, and its sibling the Thunderbolt 27" display that I use in my office, that I'm buying a second Thunderbolt display for use at home when I upgrade my personal laptop a little later in the year. (My partner will then gracefully accept the gift of the 27" LED display ... ;-)

Godfrey