The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

online backup solutions?

faneuil

My 100k of images is pushing 2 TB in size.
I time machine to a local drobo array, but worry about home disasters..
Anyone use remote backup companies? Carbonite is the big guy, but not meant for huge backups (they admit that backups will be slow after the first 200gb)
who are the professional backup businesses out there?

thanks
Eric

bradhusick

I use Crashplan and pre-loaded their server with 1TB using their optional "send me a hard drive and I will fill it up and send it back" program.

Also, I don't trust Time Machine at all. I use FolderWatch (constantly on) and SuperDuper (weekly). Crashplan backs up to their servers from my Drobo at night.

faneuil

thanks - I am trying the 30 day crashplan offer. Just wondering how long it will take to upload 1.8 TB through my cable modem!

Both their CrashPlan+ and CrashPlan pro plans offer similar options (one is $3 a month, the other $7)
I've submitted a question to tech support to see what the differences are.
Both offer unlimited storage. I imagine pro might offer faster upload speed.

Eric

faneuil

thanks - I tried both Crashplan+ and pro over the weekend. With Cable modem upload speed between 200-500 kbps I am getting upload times between 1 and 2 years..
doesn't seem realistic for me and realized that evertieme I do a multi GB shoot, I'll have to leave my computer on for days.

pulled the trigger on a WD 4TB drive which I can sneaker net from home to work as my double-failsafe backup. As mentioned, I already use a drobo at home.

thanks for all the help though. I appreciate it
Eric

R

rmorris

there are so many backup software opportunity available, that it's really not easy to pick the right one! Have you tried backup with Acronis? I think this is the best one so far. If you know other good programs, please let me know! It would be nice if it would be easier to compare all of them at one glance!