The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Questions about image intensity

C

chinedudeoracle

Good day all,
I am a final year computer Science student doing a project that involves image processing using java which am totally new to, and I have been faced with a major challenge. i have been able to get 2 dimensional arrays of the red, green and blue values for each pixel in an image.how can i calculate the mean grey intensity of the image from these arrays? please I would be most grateful if anyone could be of help.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Seems to me that it would simply be the sum of all the r,g,b values for all of the pixels, divided by the number of pixels divided by 3.
-bob

C

chinedudeoracle

thank you so much for the reply, but I have already done that and the results I get don't really make sense to me. I am trying to detect the presence of cataract in an eye sample by comparing the mean grey intensity of the cataract eye with that of three healthy eye samples, but I was not able to observe any definite pattern. Please could you by any mean be of help?

C

chinedudeoracle

thank you so much Bob, its now working fine i just needed to crop the images before processing them.