The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture 4 is out , little comparision

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Capture 4 is out folks and ready for download . so i took a shot of the kids today with the 75 Lux at about 2.8 for a Christmas picture. I did it in LR so that was my final with a little airbrushing and i did bring the corners down a little. C1 i just tried to get a nice raw process from it and just see how it looks

LR first than C1. not a real test but just wanted to see

Guy Mancuso

Looks pretty good . i will have to get more into this to do a really good test but just wanted to see how c1 4 is looking.

S

Shootist

Yeah I'll add what I stated in the other thread.
Don't bother with this version, at least as it is now.
P.O.S.
Of course YMMV.

Guy Mancuso

Alright lets try this car shot i did in Flagstaff. These are both at default in LR and C1 .

C1 looks a little sharper but my settings are carrying over it looks like so it is set for
amount 130
radius .8
threshold 1.0
luminance 25
color 40
5200 kelvin which it came in at.

Lr settings these are my defaults
amount 25
radius 1.0
detail 25
luminance 0
Color 25
Kelvin 5500

C1 also looks like it held the back end of highlights a little better , of course we can fix that in LR too. But this maybe real important in specular highlights . Maybe have to pull some images from the Ugly test here because that would be a good example for a test

So lets see what defaults look like

LR and C1

Guy Mancuso

Okay same setting in LR but this time I bumped the recovery to 65 to equal C1 , this bugs me a little because i am already pushing a default to get it to equal C1

Guy Mancuso

i think 65 is pretty close the C1 image looks a touch darker overall so i will adjust a touch in LR to match the overall exposure and they should match up better. Still i don't like this in LR because i now lost some more highlight recovery, how much further can we push it before it starts getting weird.

So 65 exposure down just a touch to match but at 65 recovery. Than C1 as original

Guy Mancuso

Okay that is a lot closer and maybe 50 would have been the better setting so let's call it that you need 50 plus in recovery to match c1 default. I have IR filters on also. now of course this is somewhat meaningless in a way because we can always make this adjustment anytime to either program they both have shadow and recovery options. BUT for me i don't always have the time to play around and many folks are like that so i tend to go were the least amount of work needed in post. Hell one reason I shoot Leica just less post work. So this could become a very important factor for some folks. Let's go find a a portrait outside in the Ugly test to try and see how the specular highlights are handled there. To me this is where you seperate the boys from the men.

Guy Mancuso

Guy:

Are you using any camera calibrations in LightRoom?
No Robert just the defaults on sharpening have been adjusted that Jack recommends for the M8. There actually lowered a little from Adobe's default on sharpening.

Ed i don't like where there dumping there data either i agree what ever happened to picking a folder you want to put them in or another drive which is what i did in the past on a PC. they should give you that option here. Maybe the Pro version

Guy Mancuso

Just wondering if folks are agreeing with me on this recovery issue. That LR needs to bring down the recovery to equal the flatter c1 default. Looks like LR has more contrast overall

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy: FTR, my recommended default LR and ACR settings for the M8 are 30, 0.5, 25, 0, 25...

I find C1 does two things I don't like --- One is it adds a significant amount of recovery as standard; about equal to 50 in ACR/LR which while a good idea most of the time for say Canon files, is not necessarily needed for M8 files and two, it bumps contrast over the top in any of the standard film curves. Another nit is it oversharpens M8 files pretty significantly. As an example, your old car above has a halo along the roof-line. That should disappear in the LR conversion if you use my suggested settings, though in C1 you may need to crank sharpening down to the point it looks quite a bit softer than ACR/LR to get rid of it...

robsteve

Subscriber
No Robert just the defaults on sharpening have been adjusted that Jack recommends for the M8. There actually lowered a little from Adobe's default on sharpening.
Guy:

I meant any correction in the color section of camera calibration. The colors look pretty good in our shot with the kids.

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber
Guy: FTR, my recommended default LR and ACR settings for the M8 are 30, 0.5, 25, 0, 25...

Another nit is it oversharpens M8 files pretty significantly. As an example, your old car above has a halo along the roof-line. That should disappear in the LR conversion if you use my suggested settings, though in C1 you may need to crank sharpening down to the point it looks quite a bit softer than ACR/LR to get rid of it...
The C1 shot of the kids was so sharp it cut poor Jack near his elbow :)

Guy Mancuso

I find C1 does two things I don't like --- One is it adds a significant amount of recovery as standard; about equal to 50 in ACR/LR which while a good idea most of the time for say Canon files, is not necessarily needed for M8 files and two, it bumps contrast over the top in any of the standard film curves. Another nit is it oversharpens M8 files pretty significantly. As an example, your old car above has a halo along the roof-line. That should disappear in the LR conversion if you use my suggested settings, though in C1 you may need to crank sharpening down to the point it looks quite a bit softer than ACR/LR to get rid of it...
Jack that was what i was wondering my friend is c1 actually bringing the recovery down or is LR to contrasty at those defaults. This maybe good in portraits but can also lose the sparkle in the highlights too , makes it too flat.

Sorry i had your defaults wrong on sharpening . Here your version

Terry

I was reading a thread on LUF thismornong about shooting at ISO 1250 and C1 settings. The suggestion there was to move the sharpening slider all the way down to zero. It is an interesting thread and tonight when I am home I can add a link. While I know these shots are lower ISO, I found the C1 info interesting enough to save the recomendations.

scott kirkpatrick

Ed i don't like where there dumping there data either i agree what ever happened to picking a folder you want to put them in or another drive which is what i did in the past on a PC. they should give you that option here. Maybe the Pro version
No, the option is there still. It comes up when you start the process dialog. At least it did for me.

scott

Guy Mancuso

Okay from the Ugly test. Turned sharpening all off this time in both programs

LR comes in at 5700 kelvin and C1 comes in at 5400 kelvin and as always yellow in c1 or warmer looking than LR which still has a touch too much red. To me nothing has changed in c1