Site Sponsors

Thread: Carbon copy cloner

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carbon copy cloner

I have a question about if i do a new back up on a partitioned drive when it goes to erase will it keep my partitions in tact. Right now i have a complete backup of my OS on a partitioned drive, the other partition is my temp raw workflow files which I have backed up permanently . But when you do Carbon cloner it will automatically erase what i have on the drive in this case the partition will it only erase that partition and leave the other one alone.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Carbon copy cloner

If you clone say from OS ---> Partition X, you will have multiple options. The one I use is "erase everything on target." This will create a fresh copy each time you do it, and will erase all old data off Partition X first. Make sure the "bootable partition" box is checked.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jack, just wanted to make sure
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

You may also like to take a look at Shirt Pocket Software's SuperDuper!. In my opinion, the best $27.95 I ever purchased (OK, I bought it before it was raised to $27.95, maybe $19.95, but still). CCC is very good, obviously, but SuperDuper works really well, gets regular updates which are very easy to do (automated) and the incremental backups work great and save time.

Using SuperDuper! to do an incremental backup to alternate drives on alternate drives is very comforting.

Cheers,

Dale

Post Thanks / Like

I concur with Dale. I used CCC for a while, and it did well, but SuperDuper! is really quite good, makes excellent back-ups, and the incremental back-up is painless. This was well worth the investment, and as Dale says, the updates come regularly and painlessly to keep things working. Great product.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    Using SuperDuper! to do an incremental backup to alternate drives on alternate drives is very comforting.
    Too late to edit the above remark, so I'll do it here. I meant to say: "Using SuperDuper! to do an incremental backup to alternate drives on alternate days is very comforting."

Alternating backups is not necessarily something needed for photo work, but nice for one's entire system overall. Though I must admit that I'm not as religious about it as I should be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Dale i did use Carbon Copy because it was on my system and it did work a charm in reloading my OS backup without hitting the other partition. Even though I have time machine i like a working backup to boot too immediately if I run into a issue with the main drive

I used Superduper in the past and it is a nice program also