The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Upgrading to LION - anything to fear?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I've been running my Mac with 10.5.8 for a long time and I'm about to upgrade to Snow Leopard and then to Lion.

As far as I can tell (from this forum) there should be no problem with Capture One (6.3.4), and LR4 will be fine. What about Media Pro and drivers for Canon ipf printers?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I can't tell you about canon drivers, but all the rest in your list are fine on 10.7.4, well media pro is just as fine as it was on snow leopard LOL
-bob

emr

Are you sure you need to upgrade? I have first upgraded some of my Macs from Leopard to Snow Leopard and then to Lion and have frankly not seen any significant improvement. But when upgrading from SL to Lion, some of my older software and drivers stopped working.

Mountain Lion comes out in a month. I would wait for that rather than upgrade twice. I have a feeling it will be more stable and more polished than Lion.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

The fact that LR4 only works with Snow Leopard and higher is what prompted me to buy SN. But thanks for the advice, Bill - I'll await Mountain Lion before upgrading further.

carstenw

I don't know what the Mountain Lion (didn't we already have Puma? What is next, Cougar?) will be like, but the only way to upgrade to Lion, apart from buying a USB stick from Apple, is to install Snow Leopard, and patch it to the latest version, and then get Lion from the App Store. I hope that Mountain Lion won't require the logical continuation of this disaster.

Lion hasn't been stable for me. I like the new features, but they are not earth-breaking. But the stability loss has been quite frustrating. Only recently have I stopped having freezes, Drobo problems, and so on, and not completely. My feeling is that less time is spent polishing than in the past. I will not upgrade to Mountain Lion until at least the first patch, maybe the second.

Godfrey

Hmm. I have been working with Lion using Lightroom 3 and 4, Photoshop CS4 and 5, and Epson printer (in the context of photography) since it was released. I don't use C1 or Media Pro or Canon printers. I deleted all non-64-bit apps from my system a long while back, when I upgraded hardware in 2011 and installed Lion. A couple of older apps went away, but I'd stopped using them ages before. I haven't had any freezes or what not, most of the new features are useful (a couple are "eh?" for me).

I've also been testing OS X Mountain Lion since Developer Preview 1 a few months ago, mostly with Lightroom 4.1 (as I hardly ever use Photoshop anymore really) and Epson printers. I've sent in the usual number of bugs regarding the Apple bits on DP versions, but Lightroom 4.1 has been entirely stable and I've had no problems with printing.

carstenw

Yes, it can vary quite a lot depending on the specific computer. A friend of mine has a 27" iMac and at some point it started dropping his wifi connection every few minutes. He was never able to resolve that until he moved from France to Berlin, at which point it went away. Who knows why.

PeterL

Bill, I am using Canon IPF drivers (6300) under Lion with no problems. However, they were installed when I ran Snow Leopard, but works fine under Lion.

Cheers, -Peter