The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm losing my freakin' mind

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I grok some of what you're saying Jack. Alas, I am not blessed with a natural grasp of the finer technical/scientific aspects of film sensitivity and have to be content with a slow accumulation of information that eventually leads to a deeper understanding.

But I have enjoyed experimenting with the aspect of Silver Efex Pro that allows for the addition of colored filters which try to emulate the effect on black and white film of actual glass filters on the lens of a camera. It is interesting to see how the various colors mask or enhance certain wavelengths in order to more closely match film's color sensitivity. It's not that different from my attempts at using the Selective Color adjustment layer in combination with others to make a B&W conversion.

I have to wonder though at what point the digital rendition of B&W will stand on it's own and be judged separately from a film capture of the same scene.

MoJo

Registred Users
TR Smith: what a thoughtful post! It makes me reflect on the fact that i am working on doing thing in a series, with a "look" to them that carries across, rather than 1 "fine art" shot at a time. E.G, this may be part of a series I am working on of New Mexico stores and ephemera, many of which are on my website. But I am having trouble with this one, which is why I put it up here for input. It was late afternoon, early Fall. so at the great risk of beating a dead horse, i am putting a revised version up, taking Mr. Smith's input, and I just may like it better, in some ways. What think? This is more of an intrepetation, rather than trying for an accurate depiction of the light.....

Ben Rubinstein

TR Smith: what a thoughtful post! It makes me reflect on the fact that i am working on doing thing in a series, with a "look" to them that carries across, rather than 1 "fine art" shot at a time.
You mean like using a specific film for a specific series. Wish it was more used in the digital realm, working on a specific look to convey a certain emotional response throughout a series.

MoJo

Registred Users
Ben, that is correct. Since I don't shoot film anymore except in using Toy cameras, I am trying to develop some portfolios that hang together. Again, I am finding it difficult when a particular project has been a mix of film (from the past) and digital...