The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Raw Processors - Take your pick!

S

Spiritshooter

So many of my associates and friends are always asking which raw processor to use. Like many of you, I have tried just about everything in the market and keep coming back to one.

Here is a quick handheld 1Dx image, ISO 2000 f/1.2, processed and cropped in Aperture 3.4, Capture One 6.4.4, and LightRoom RC4.2

One issue, the C1 Chromatic Aberration correction does not work in C1 yet. LR CA correction is amazing.

I have my favorite....I love the C1 rendering of color and smoothness...

Professional

Although the color is nice with C1 shot, but i will go with the LR one, it shows the more neutral one over the C1 which is a bit saturated or has the reddish or warm tone, that could be me, others may prefer it.

srtiwari

In you trying 'just about everything in the market', have you looked at Photo ninja by Picturecode, or DXO optics Pro 7 ? These have been talked about in various forums, and their latest versions seem impressive to many. They also have free trials.
I have LR4, but find Raw conversion much better cleaner with,both, DXO and Photo Ninja. The Noise reduction is also much better.
Wonder if you an opinion on these. I am trying to decide but lean towards the Picturecode product. I do not have either Aperture or Capture 1.

S

Spiritshooter

In you trying 'just about everything in the market', have you looked at Photo ninja by Picturecode, or DXO optics Pro 7 ? These have been talked about in various forums, and their latest versions seem impressive to many. They also have free trials.
I have LR4, but find Raw conversion much better cleaner with,both, DXO and Photo Ninja. The Noise reduction is also much better.
Wonder if you an opinion on these. I am trying to decide but lean towards the Picturecode product. I do not have either Aperture or Capture 1.
I have an opinion on lots of stuff, but quality as an expert on none. :)

I have PhotoNinja which I bought as an upgrade from Noise Ninja. It appears that it will be a lovely program as it matures. I saw that they no have V1.02 available. I will download it and process the same file, post it, so you can see the difference. Your impressions will be worth more than my expert opinion. :)

Mike

S

Spiritshooter

I processed the original 1Dx file in PhotoNinja using mostly the defaults. I left the white balance set to "As Shot" or whatever they call it. Auto produced an awful blue. Manual correction couldn't get the white balance any better than the "As Shot" mode.

I like the interface, but it I think it is slow and needs work. My Macpro has 32gb Ram and in slow poke.

Here are the files...

The C1 file matches the color of the candle and the scene the best. Photo Ninjas color is way off, but admittedly
I may need more experience with it.

haring

So many of my associates and friends are always asking which raw processor to use. Like many of you, I have tried just about everything in the market and keep coming back to one.

Here is a quick handheld 1Dx image, ISO 2000 f/1.2, processed and cropped in Aperture 3.4, Capture One 6.4.4, and LightRoom RC4.2

One issue, the C1 Chromatic Aberration correction does not work in C1 yet. LR CA correction is amazing.

I have my favorite....I love the C1 rendering of color and smoothness...
Wow! I didn't know Raw processing methods / tools make such a big difference!

R

Ronald Nyein Zaw Tan

RAW processors are like cars. You buy which ever you are comfortable with in terms of price, need, and "looks." I am considered "refined" and "reformed," because I evolved from ACR to CaptureONE PRO (C1PRO) since their 3.7.8 days.

I admit, prior to the release of C1PRO7, Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) and LR versions 3+ had the best noise reduction (luminance and chrominance) than popular RAW converters on the market.

The better questions you should be asking yourselves is, "Will [RAW Converter] help alleviate my workflow, getting me the "look" I am after for later finalizing in Photoshop?" In my personal/professional tests, I have been enamored with the "look" of skin tones and quality of the images from RAW from C1PRO. I have since upgraded to 4, 5,6, and soon to version 7.