Site Sponsors

Thread: Testing some processing techniques

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Testing some processing techniques

Feedback appreciated. These all originated from within Nik Color FX Pro, but all have added processing in CS4.

First is a Polaroid effect:

Next is an Antique/Slight-Sepia effect:

Final is a 300 (Bleach Bypass) effect:

~~~

I tend to see them as too too fake or too over-cooked to work for otherwise boring landscape shots, but I'm a traditionalist. This is my first foray into heavy cooking other than IR capture and processing, so am curious if others think they're interesting enough for me to continue experimenting or should I stick to more normal/traditional landscapes?

Thanks,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Testing some processing techniques

Too much, I agree.
    Is the dark green threshold part of Color FX Pro or post that?
    However, playing is good.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with your "instinct", Jack, and Bob's comment. It's fun to play sometimes, and I have stumbled upon a couple of treatments that were well received as note cards for the particular images. I honestly felt funky for doing them (like petting the dog against the grain), never printed larger or posted the treated image, but I think there are still a couple of the cards around.

Funny, the last one reminds me of a dated 35mm Ektachrome slide. I have boxes of Kodachrome 25 and 64 slides that went a different direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the comments guys --- let's me know my thinking is on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Is the dark green threshold part of Color FX Pro or post that?
    On the Polaroid effect, that knock-out is part of the FX effect and is not tweakable to less, though you can make it stronger
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Jack,

WRT #1, sometimes a border works for me and sometimes it doesn't. Also, the contrast seems excessive between background and foreground, but anaemic in the foreground itself. Personally, the saturation doesn't bother me overly although the lighter greens seem too much.

#2, personally, I prefer a darker brown effect (usually quadtone) for this type of thing, and I'd definitely punch up the contrast (with a curve) to darken the blacks.

#3, seems just too bleached... I know, that's the point, but from a personal standpoint, it doesn't work for me.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another vote for playing and experimenting. Inevitably I find little things that set my "spider sense" tingling and store them away for another time. Sometimes it's good to color outside the lines. And I kind of like the first one, although it doesn't scream Polaroid at me.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Polaroid one I kind of like the rest Love ya but they make me want to scream. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The effects don't do anything me, either, Jack. Some special effects can be fun, but I wouldn't class any of those three as at all interesting.

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not my cup of tea, but then they are all more or less 'nature' or realism or pictorial.

Aren't these fancy effects more popular/useful for fashion pix - something that needs
    the 'Shock of the New'?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, think it's three thumbs down myself...

On the upside, I did find two bottles of Hendricks gin today --- going to confirm some of that in the form of a bone dry, very cold martini in about 20 minutes
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh sure just tease us now.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, just for you bud, I'll have two!

Jack

moggi1964

I love the support and humour found here as well as the honest and constructive feedback. 'Gin-baiting' should be banned though

I do think Number 2 has more potential; lacks contrast as I think someone else suggested.

It's fun to play (as I am finding out with LR2).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Photography Rule Number 3 . Have fun and experiment. Rules 1 and 2 still under development. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, drink those martinis and post them again...I bet they'll look better.
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOLOL! Okay, here's a redo of the second image after the two matinis. All I did here was the basic B&W conversion, added my basic film response curve, added some grain, added a vignette edge burn.

Still sucks IMO
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Polariod effect looks...interesting. Too digital with the clipped shadows, but if you can fix that to get more of a chemical look and perhaps hold back the effect "a bit" then it might be useful with a select few images.

For the tree photo in B/W I think you need better control over the tonal response curve, also the blown highlights in the foliage is tricky to make look good. Perhaps not the best image to test your process on? Also, a well-know side-effect of martini is the clipping of shadow densities to black. That's usually not a problem with Islay single malt, you get much smoother tonal gradations.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ironically Lars, nothing in the tree image is actually blown in the original color file or the jpeg conversion, save for maybe one or two tiny speculars hidden here and there. (Copy it and measure ) A few of the highest tones were set to 253, but unless they got clipped during the jpeg compression upload, which I guess is possible, nothing much should be over over 253 --- moreover I suspect most are closer to the mid 240's...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Still sucks IMO
    It does; I find my eyes drawn along the avenue but the contrasts are too great and looking at it becomes unpleasant - and if there's anything I'm being led to I can't see it.
    Sláinte

Robert.

ddk

Hi Jack,

IMO the effects aren't the issue here, the files that you chose to experiment with are the problem, they're too blah, for lack of a better adjective and nothing's going to bring to life. I used to enjoy cooking the negatives and manipulating the prints in the darkroom and find that digital cooking can be just as rewarding with the right images, why not try experimenting with worthwhile files?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack - well it might not be blown in the image file, but in the camera (or on film?) is a different matter. I'm just saying that part of the scene is a bit tricky.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Hi Jack,

IMO the effects aren't the issue here, the files that you chose to experiment with are the problem, they're too blah, for lack of a better adjective and nothing's going to bring to life. I used to enjoy cooking the negatives and manipulating the prints in the darkroom and find that digital cooking can be just as rewarding with the right images, why not try experimenting with worthwhile files?
    Excellent point, but my point is I was trying to get "blah" images to look like something worthwhile. If they had been worthwhile to begin with, they would (should) have stood on their own. What it reinforces for me is I can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear so to speak
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear
    Yes you can, but not from these images.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm.
    Well, I think the third picture might be a silk purse anyway. It needs a bit of work on it, but I can see real potential there . . . .
    I'm not keen on the polaroid treatment, and I think that the second one could be fine. But the third one intrigues me.
    More drama in the sky (which is dramatic anyway), more colour in the graffiti, and more concentration on the lines . . . . but none of this requires anything more than ordinary pp.

Personally, I'm a firm believer that it isn't worth trying to rescue a mistake (unless it's of the bride). I'm also uncomfortable about any post processing which wasn't 'envisaged' when you took the shot, and packaged effects always set my teeth on edge.

Still, I've looked again at that last shot - I think it's worth a little more work.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, I kinda like the road shot now....see what a little booze can do!
    Mike

website under construction