Site Sponsors

Thread: NIK Sold to Google...software may be discontinued.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

NIK Sold to Google...software may be discontinued.

Went to my local store today and while talking color/BW I mentioned NIK software.

Was told that NIK informed them that they were to D/C selling their software and return all stock...had been issued a check to cover the same.

Seems like Google wanted Snapseed but may not need NIK plugins...hopefully someone will be able to acquire those assets.

See here:

Google Buys Nik to Lure Photographers to Google Plus - NYTimes.com

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NIK Sold to Google...software may be discontinued.

Hi Bob,

That's some pretty old news ......

Nik itself, publicly, made a statement that they will continue to develop there Nik plugin software. And Google confirmed that (so much so for the NYT article).
    Let just hope that's true.

cheers,
    Remko

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree...very nice software.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd like to think Nik will keep shipping their desktop products, but I don't see how that fits into Google's product line/vision/roadmap.

Glancing @ Nik's website, I note that they have not updated any of their software products in over 3 months. On September 13, they released updates to all their products, and that has been it since.

My guess is at best we will see a reduced product line / less frequent updates of their desktop products.
    blog
    steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Went to my local store today and while talking color/BW I mentioned NIK software.

Was told that NIK informed them that they were to D/C selling their software and return all stock...had been issued a check to cover the same.

Seems like Google wanted Snapseed but may not need NIK plugins...hopefully someone will be able to acquire those assets.

See here:

Google Buys Nik to Lure Photographers to Google Plus - NYTimes.com

Bob
    I've liked Snapseed, it's a good editor for the iPad and iPhone. I hope Google doesn't screw it up. (The first version out the gate under their control added a bunch of borders and taken away the ability to adjust the borders. ... Don't know whether that bodes well.)

Never saw any point to locking myself into someone's plug-ins when I'm already using Photoshop or Lightroom. I'd rather do the rendering myself.

G