Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Announcement: Phase One Releases Capture One Pro 7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Announcement: Phase One Releases Capture One Pro 7

Quote Originally Posted by emmawest72 View Post
    Doug,

Thanks for the tip. Will try tonight to see how it works out. Cheers, William
    Doug,
    Thanks for tip. It worked.
    Cheers
    Wil
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great to hear. That bug is very uncommon but it occurred (rarely) in v6 as well so sounds like it's still possible in v7.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a question about Nikon D800e files that were converted to dng. The first couple of months I had this camera I converted all files to DNG. Then C1-7 came along and I would like to process some of these previously converted dng files in C1 7 but they are horrible...absolutely horrible..unusable in C1-7. Of course I have stopped converting Nikon files to DNG as the Nikon RAWs do great in C1-7. Other DNG files from other cameras seem do do fine in C1. What's with the 800e files. Everything is off color wise and no amount of white balancing will even come close to making the file worth working in C1. Any suggestions please. Many thanks, Eleanor

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The DNG profile in C1 is of a completely generic variety so it holds no Nikon algorithms in them. Go back to your original raws before that conversion and use those.

Bottom line it sees DNG but has no clue what to do with it as far as profile. Im pretty sure this is the case
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First, what problem are you trying to solve with DNG?

DNG is not nearly what it's sold as (future proof, open/non-proprietary, interoperable raw format).
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First, unfortunately, the original RAWs are gone...I only have the dng version. Second I like dng because it's so easy to save the RAW changes inside the file and no external files are needed...no sidecars..no nothing. That makes things much simpler for me. I have previously converted literally all my RAW files...Phase, Canon, Sony, etc to dng for this reason. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    First, what problem are you trying to solve with DNG?

DNG is not nearly what it's sold as (future proof, open/non-proprietary, interoperable raw format).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eleanor,

With all due respect, saving ONLY a DNG raw is not idea -- as this release of 7 confirms, raw converters can improve in the future and saving the original raw allows to complete reprocess out a possibly more ideal image. Corollary comment: disk drive space is CHEAP!!!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

>With all due respect, saving ONLY a DNG raw is not ideal

+1
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, live and learn...With that said, I live in both Texas and Colorado and have identical computer set ups in both areas so am constantly transferring files back and fourth and it was more reliable to save RAW processing in a DNG rather than take a chance on the file and RAW changes getting separated. From now on I will be leaving my Phase and Nikon files in their respective RAW formats. I know this site is heavily oriented toward C1 but up until now I have gotten really wonderful RAW processing through Lightroom...even my Phase files from 4 different backs. Now however, with the D800e files, Lightroom just wasn't doing a consistent job at all and I was getting discouraged with the camera's files combined with the Lightroom "profiles". And with the advent of C1 7, this is a whole new ballgame.......I'll still do all my organizing and most of my printing from Lightroom but most of my processing in C1-7. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Eleanor,

With all due respect, saving ONLY a DNG raw is not idea -- as this release of 7 confirms, raw converters can improve in the future and saving the original raw allows to complete reprocess out a possibly more ideal image. Corollary comment: disk drive space is CHEAP!!!

Post Thanks / Like

>was more reliable to save RAW processing in a DNG rather than take a chance on the file and RAW changes getting separated.

I would always take also a copy of the LR catalog.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eleanor work in sessions since all your files reside in that folder you setup. It holds your Raws your settings and your finals. Now copy that whole session on a external move half way across the planet load on any computer with C1 and you don't miss a beat.
    And a word of encouragement . Your work is so damn good never go back to LR. Please trust me on this one .
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know I'm so bad on this one. I am really bias on raw processors. I freely admit it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw I always import to a session than from there I take that session and back it up on two externals. Than as I work a session and process my finals I just replace the session with the new work I have done. So I always have three copies of that session up to date as I work .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh yes, always do...just copy my LR catalog "as is" and just relocate the RAW files accordingly..eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >was more reliable to save RAW processing in a DNG rather than take a chance on the file and RAW changes getting separated.

I would always take also a copy of the LR catalog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for all you suggestions and tips Guy...and yes I always have current back ups on multiple external drives for sure! Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Btw I always import to a session than from there I take that session and back it up on two externals. Than as I work a session and process my finals I just replace the session with the new work I have done. So I always have three copies of that session up to date as I work .

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    do you see any drawback/risk in using the catalog(s), with the raw files stored internally, the same way you use the sessions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well the one issue is you will outgrow your internal drive. Now you may keep the catalog data on the internal but the files on a bigger external . You can do that and IMHO a better way to go. Problem is when you travel your leaving the raws behind. I'm personally not a big fan of a catalog system. One of the reasons is as I just described. Sessions you can just take let's say the last 5 shoots with you that you may want to work than when you get home just replace your backups.
    Not saying catalogs are bad. I guess I got so ingrained to make sessions of each job or shoot and file by name and date than when needed just go back to that session off your main backup. When I hit the road I may just grab the last job session or a bunch. But you can create the catalog data base keep that internal and store your raws on a external or server and work like that.

Now lets remember this is Phase Ones first real venture into this catalog world and as we are seeing a few bugs. Pretty normal in the software world, I would give them till next update to get serious about it right now. That's not a dig at Phase at all and don't intend it to be. I'm more a rock solid type person on certain things before I take risks. Sessions just make more sense to me but we all know folks love these catalog setups and that's great. It's like more automation to me and I'm always a little shy of that when it comes to photography. I still don't trust AF. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Well the one issue is you will outgrow your internal drive. Now you may keep the catalog data on the internal but the files on a bigger external . You can do that and IMHO a better way to go. Problem is when you travel your leaving the raws behind. I'm personally not a big fan of a catalog system. One of the reasons is as I just described. Sessions you can just take let's say the last 5 shoots with you that you may want to work than when you get home just replace your backups.
    Not saying catalogs are bad. I guess I got so ingrained to make sessions of each job or shoot and file by name and date than when needed just go back to that session off your main backup. When I hit the road I may just grab the last job session or a bunch. But you can create the catalog data base keep that internal and store your raws on a external or server and work like that.

Now lets remember this is Phase Ones first real venture into this catalog world and as we are seeing a few bugs. Pretty normal in the software world, I would give them till next update to get serious about it right now. That's not a dig at Phase at all and don't intend it to be. I'm more a rock solid type person on certain things before I take risks. Sessions just make more sense to me but we all know folks love these catalog setups and that's great. It's like more automation to me and I'm always a little shy of that when it comes to photography. I still don't trust AF. Lol
    Hi Guy,

Good points about storing the files inside the Catalog. Yes, you could eventually outgrow your internal storage! The great thing about our implementation is that even if you don't have access to the RAWs you can still make adjustments and do all your virtual organisation.

BUT! As it is easy to open several Catalogs at once in CO7, why not have a Catalog for each client or each job? Much like a Session?

Then it is easy to copy that single file from one place to another!

D
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very good points. Things we need to understand on C1 implementation on how this was designed to work. I like the several catalog idea for instance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Phase One View Post
    Hi Guy,

Good points about storing the files inside the Catalog. Yes, you could eventually outgrow your internal storage! The great thing about our implementation is that even if you don't have access to the RAWs you can still make adjustments and do all your virtual organisation.

BUT! As it is easy to open several Catalogs at once in CO7, why not have a Catalog for each client or each job? Much like a Session?

Then it is easy to copy that single file from one place to another!

D
    An excellent idea, BUT the C1#7 catalog will not show embedded thumbnails nor any other thumbnail representation of files not yet supported by Capture One like those from the Fuji XPRO1 which I use next to Leica M9's.
    Media Pro does show these and most important allows me to send the file to a program which can process the files and bring them back into the Media Pro catalog as tiff or jpg.
    I truly wish I wasn't forced into adding another program from the same developer's stall (Phase One) and into this convoluted workflow.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've gone the catalog route but I have mixed feelings. I have set up a catalog for each year of my files - Catalog 2001, Catalog 2002 and so on. I used this because that's the way I keep my files on my hard drive (RAID array) - year and month. So this month is file 2012.11.

I see two problems. The first, a very minor one, is that I now have a catalog for each year in addition to the actual files, which uses more HD space.

The bigger problem is download time. It can take 10 or 15 minutes to download my CF card to my hard drive and THEN I have another 10 or 15 minutes uploading to the Catalog.This is a pain.

For the moment I'll continue the catalog route but....

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a question about outputting through Photoshop CS6 then seeing the adjusted tif or jpg in C1. The photoshop (or other app..ie. silver efex pro, etc) changes are never recognized in C1. What am I doing wrong?? I rebuild the C1 preview, etc, but with no luck. any suggestions. Thanks. Eleanor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    I have a question about outputting through Photoshop CS6 then seeing the adjusted tif or jpg in C1. The photoshop (or other app..ie. silver efex pro, etc) changes are never recognized in C1. What am I doing wrong?? I rebuild the C1 preview, etc, but with no luck. any suggestions. Thanks. Eleanor
    Hi Eleanor,

Did you use layers? If you did, try first to flatten before importing or referencing the edited PS tif file in C1 and see if that solves your issue.
    Not sure if that works, but that is what I would do if I ran into this problem.

cheers,
    Remko

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the suggestion Remko, but no layers. Can't figure out what the issue is. eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Remko View Post
    Hi Eleanor,

Did you use layers? If you did, try first to flatten before importing or referencing the edited PS tif file in C1 and see if that solves your issue.
    Not sure if that works, but that is what I would do if I ran into this problem.

cheers,
    Remko