The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Announcement: Phase One Releases Capture One Pro 7

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Phase One Releases Capture One Pro 7

Phase One Releases Capture One Pro 7

New Processing Engine
Drives an Image Quality Revolution

COPENHAGEN, October 25, 2012 — Phase One, the world’s leader in open-platform, high-end camera systems and solutions, today released Capture One Pro 7. Capture One Pro is the advanced digital imaging software for professional photographers who require superior image quality, maximum workflow efficiency and the flexibility to work the way they want to work.

Capture One Pro 7 is a major release built on a new processing engine with new and advanced professional tools that dramatically boost out-of-the-box image quality, offering exquisite detail and color rendition. Powerful digital asset management functionality, derived from years of technical expertise built into the Media Pro catalog system, has been added to offer more options to select, search and organize image files. And the world’s most advanced tethering shooting solution now includes Live View support for selected DSLRs.

“Phase One engineers have unique advantages in developing image processing software: their high-end digital hardware expertise, their enduring passion for perfection and their collaboration with some of the world’s best photographers,” said Linda K. Poulsen, Software Marketing Director, Phase One.

“Image quality is always our prime directive,” said Niels V. Knudsen, Vice President of Innovation and Application Development, Phase One’s popular ‘Image Quality Professor.’ “We are proud to introduce what we believe is the world’s best professional imaging software, and we wish to thank photographers around the globe for inspiring us to meet their needs for high quality images with a natural look and feel.”

A Revolution in Image Quality
Advancements in the Capture One raw processing engine yield vastly more accurate rendition of details and colors. While medium format camera systems with Capture One Pro achieve the highest-level results, DSLR users will see stellar performance from their cameras too. A highly advanced noise reduction algorithm has been added that gives stunning performance at even high ISO levels. Precision adjustment tools offer greatly enhanced dynamic range for astonishing details in both shadows and highlights, reveal fine details and structure, reduce the effect of haze and give images a more three-dimensional look and add local contrast and saturation to images for extra punch. The new OpenCL implementation yields faster browsing and higher-speed image processing.

Powerful Digital Asset Management
Next to the familiar and proven sessions approach, Capture One Pro users can now organize their image files via comprehensive and flexible catalogs. Incorporating powerful digital asset management features found in Media Pro, they can work with multiple catalogs at the same time; share catalogs with other users; switch between different catalogs without relaunching; easily tag images for later search and retrieval; and browse and adjust images when the original images files are offline.

Workflow Advances
From capture to final output, Capture One Pro 7 has been optimized for efficiency. Capture One Pro’s support for instant tethered shooting is renowned for its ease (just plug in and shoot) with both medium format and high-end DSLR cameras. Now Live View is available for selected DSLRs aiding composition and critical focus.
Capture One Pro 7 has a selection of default lens profiles that can be chosen to automatically correct any unwanted optical issues. Capture One Pro 7 speeds delivery of final image files to clients and colleagues in whatever format, size, or resolution they need.

For a complete list of new and advanced features, please go to Image software

Pricing and Availability
Phase One Capture One Pro 7 is available now for Mac OS X and Windows online at Phase One store and from Phase One Partners. The price is 299 USD and 229 EUR. Owners of Capture One Pro 3/4/5/6 may upgrade for 99 USD and 69 EUR. Owners of Capture One Express may upgrade to Capture One Pro 7 for 249 USD and 199 EUR. For customers who have purchased Capture One Pro 6 since September 26, 2012, Phase One is offering a grace period, exempting them from the upgrade fee.

For more information, please visit Phase One at http://www.phaseone.com; or you can contact the team directly on Twitter at Phase One (PhaseOneWW) on Twitter and on Facebook at: Phase One | Facebook

About Phase One
Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform, high-end camera systems and solutions. Phase One cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One’s Capture One and Media Pro software help streamline capture and post-production processes for both medium format and DSLR cameras. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise.

Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Sydney, and Tel Aviv.

Phase One and Capture One are registered trademarks of Phase One A/S. All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I've been using it for a few months now and it is a terrific upgrade! Detail gains are significant enough to add what appears like 30% to 50% more pixels to your existing camera. Moreover, noise is reduced to where you gain a good 3 stops of usable ISO to boot! Also, local adjustments now work MUCH faster than they did in 6, very easy to use now and finally to the point I have been using it a lot of the time where I used to send multiple versions of files out of 6 to blend in Photoshop. The only downside of this release is I am going to be spending a lot of time re-processing historical images!

Seriously folks, in my humble opinion they priced it too low -- it is a HUGE upgrade over 6 IMHO. Note too there is a 60 day free trial period too, so no risk to try it -- an especially nice option for you dedicated Lightroom users!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Like Jack I have been beta testing it as well and this final version is really good. Been processing all my Zion workshop images last week with it and a lot of great improvements and some new welcome features. I agree with Jack I was expecting a bigger cost on upgrade for it so get it now before they change there mind. For 99 dollars its a must have. I just shot images today at ISO 2500 and hopefully have them ready by the time you see this announcement. In short I am really impressed with this version so far and it's fast to boot.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am impressed with improvements to noise reduction, clarity, and local adjustments.
Another new feature is that it has two modes of operation: A traditional (for Capture One) session oriented structure as well as a catalog structure which may be more to the liking of those who like to store an index of all of their images in one place.
The metadata filters are an improvement too for sorting and grading images. There is no need to create smart folders for that purpose anymore.
These are really welcome improvements.
One of the best for use with the latest wide DR cameras is an improvement to the "shadows" slider. Much more usable range make it feasible to brighten the darks nicely and fit the DR of the camera to the output profile.
-bob

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I suspect the download link isn't broken, just being hammered by all the download requests. Give it a few days to settle out -- and trust me, it'll be well worth the wait!

vjbelle

Another reason to be on both platforms....:) I started the Mac download 4 hours ago and its still stuck..... the Windows download was very fast and the program is operating marvelously.

Victor

gerald.d

This is still free for use with digital backs, yes?

Assuming so, any limitations on functionality?

Regards,

Gerald.

Kevin Sink

Jack - I'm wondering why you say there is such an increase in detail. I make very large prints, up to 20' wide. While your statement is welcome news, (haven't finished downloading C7 yet), I'm hoping this increase in detail is a positive thing for my purposes, or is it a situation where the increase in detail looks great in prints 30" and smaller but looks like artifact in larger prints?
Thanks for your reply,

Kevin Sink

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
PS: Just got official word that yes, the link is working, just being hammered, and if you stay connected you will eventually complete the download. Also, there are some added stall issues if you are using Chrome, so it is suggested you use Safari or FIrefox to download today.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack - I'm wondering why you say there is such an increase in detail. I make very large prints, up to 20' wide. While your statement is welcome news, (haven't finished downloading C7 yet), I'm hoping this increase in detail is a positive thing for my purposes, or is it a situation where the increase in detail looks great in prints 30" and smaller but looks like artifact in larger prints?
Thanks for your reply,

Kevin Sink
Kevin,

It is a real detail increase based on the new debayering algorithms in the v7 processing engine. The change is significant enough it will probably require you turn your old standard sharpening levels down for most images. You will notice a an increase across the board, but a significant increase specifically in red channel detail, which has historically been an issue for bayer sensors. If you properly process, you should get superior larger prints with it as compared to 6. This is a *really* significant update we're talking about! :thumbs:

PS: Note that any previously processed C1-6 images will hold their old adjustments with the v6 engine algorithms under the base processing tab. To re-render you will need to change to the 7 processing engine under the base tab.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What image quality improvements will there be for the older backs like the P45?
The new processing engine helps ALL cameras it's been optimized for, and all older Phase backs have been so optimized. You will see a real detail gain and a significant reduction in noise, like 3 stops of ISO worth.

kdphotography

What's the problem? My browser says it'll be finished downloading in 22 hours.
"Please feel free to shop in our e-store while you're waiting." Is that a new MFDB in your shopping cart?

:ROTFL:

Eh, I'll wait to download/upgrade when the dust settles... Sounds like a great upgrade to C1Pro!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, Jack. I hate to get rid of the older sensor since it handles long exposures so well.
You may be happier than you think! I suspect you'll see a detail gain equvalent to 30% more pixels over 6, and will now have a very usable ISO 800 ;)