Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know

Specs.

Intel® Core® 2 Duo or better
    4 GB of RAM
    10 GB of free hard disk space
    Calibrated color monitor with 1280 x 800, 24 bit resolution at 96dpi screen ruling
    Mac OS X 10.8.2, 10.7.5, 10.6.8 or later
    Flash is required to view the intro video
    An Internet connection when activating Capture One
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy question about the Gradiant Tool, when you open up a layer and want to make adjustments these are made to the gradiant area but when I try to use the HDR shadow or highlights it applies to the whole image...Am I doing something wrong?

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The HDR tool does not appear to be layer specific. You can tell because of the little brush icon that appears next to the name of, e.g., the Clarity tool when added under the local adjustment menu. That little brush does NOT appear when you add the HDR tool to that menu (I just tried it).

Best,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Hi Doug
    Does it support the Sigma DP1/2 Merrils yet?
    Thorkil
    Ha! You should know better than to ask about the Sigmas!
    Tiff files all the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Yes on a case by case basis depending on what institution and what position you work in (i.e. a professor of commercial photography is a no brainer, an accountant at a fine art college is a no go).

Email [email protected] or call the office to speak with someone in sales (I'd suggest getting the trial for now and calling on Wednesday or Thursday of next week; it will be pure chaos for Friday/Monday with the c1v7 launch).
    Will do, thank you, Doug.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Santoso View Post
    I heard from my local dealer IQ is super amazing!! Totally different algorithm.

I cant wait.
    Hi All

Just downloaded Window 64bit DB verson for Credo 80 files, and tried for half an hour. initial impression:

*The good: improved image quality as said by previous posters, especially on low light noise and rendition of details.

*The not so good:no improvements on speed, and in my case it even renders slower compared to C1 Pro 6 (6.4.4). Haven't figured out how to create and store / apply lcc profile yet. In this regard it is not as intuitive as version 6.

*The less pretty: Crashed two times when importing images from CF card via card reader from 1st time start up. Converted images sometimes corrupted with random white dots / lines when keystone correction was applied during processing.

Need time to have the bugs fixed.

Philip

Post Thanks / Like

Lovin' the new LCC batch processing. Select all your LCCs press "Create LCC" and go get lunch

Beware if you already have an LCC generated from C1 6 under ~/Library/... for the LCC you are creating in C1 7, it seems to get confused. Clear out the old LCCs and it works fine.

IQ is crazy better. Amazing! But totally different, it's going to take a while to learn how the new engine performs, old adjustments no longer produce good results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Anybody find the advertised Gradient filter yet?
    Bill
    There's a gradient mask?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Indeed! Where you choose brush or eraser, there is also a gradient mask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug I have been working with C1-7 last night and today and I agree...the image quality has many great improvements. I have one question....All my images are arranged on my hard drives in my Mac Pro just the way i want them. All I want to do in C1 is to be able to access those folders as they are. I never understood sessions...never needed it...and don't really understand the cataloging feature. Bottom line....How can I just go to a finder menu in C1 and click on the image folder and see the images pop up in C1? Thanks, Eleanor

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like C17 very much - definitely superior image quality especially in DR.

Two bugs I've found.

1. I arrange the toolbar the way I want it - but when I change Catalogues, I lose my changes and have to re-do them.

2. When I delete an image, instead of the next pic showing up in Viewer, it says "No image selected" - although the next image has a white border around it.

Not a big deal but irritating. Meantime the Gradient filter and the two Clarity sliders are great.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill save your workspace and it should hold what you done. Out at dinner but very top I think last icon on right.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm tempted to do a quick video on stuff like this

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any Nikon lens profiles? Or can I at least make my own?

Post Thanks / Like

It may be a dumb question. I tried to select 2 images holding the control key to view side by side, but it doesn't work. Is it a bug?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yat,

Hold the command key (on a Mac.. not sure what the PC equivalent key is), not the control key.

Best,

Mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW you can right click a thumbnail and add a variant of the original than the command key work on one and compare to original side by side. Nice feature

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I would really appreciate this, and I am sure others would, as well. C1 has a steep learning curve, and anything that can speed the climb and keep us on the right track would be much appreciated.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if pro 7 DB version supports Leaf A10 II .mos files? It does load and generate previews, but none of the edit function works. It works with Leaf Credo files without problems.

Philip

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I think it's time to produce the GetDPI edition of "Capture One Pro - the Missing Manual". (or "C1 for Dummies" ).

Perhaps if Doug P wants to write the book it can be a joint effort. I'll certainly help.

Note: This is a serious suggestion. God knows the existing documentation, even with the online videos, is too sketchy.

--Matt
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A little late here, but I actually just read all of Doug's 13 things -- and I'm going to add a big 14 (or 14 and 15 ): There is now logic applied to the exposure and highlight and shadow recovery tools, such that clipped channels now can be recovered to an extremely close approximation of what the original color really was. (For landscape shooters this is HUGE.)
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good one Jack and man does it work nicely too.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys I asked this already but is there any way to apply the shadow and highlights as a local adjustment so it does not effect the whole image? As already stated the little brush is not in the "High Dynamic Range Box"
    This is a big deal to me as I use it all the time in LR4 for recovery in landscape.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bellyk View Post
    Sorry guys I asked this already but is there any way to apply the shadow and highlights as a local adjustment so it does not effect the whole image? As already stated the little brush is not in the "High Dynamic Range Box"
    This is a big deal to me as I use it all the time in LR4 for recovery in landscape.

Dan
    Keep in mind that HDR tools are global, self-masking tunes and with layer masks become kind of redundant to basic exposure adjustments. Currently the HDR tool does NOT work in adjustment layer mode, however IMHO, it is not needed since exposure, contrast and brightness DO work -- and work extremely well in V7 --in layer mode and combined do as good or even better jobs with the mask capability than HDR can do.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great example of what Jack just described here. In the normal image I used my highlight control, shadow controls to bring down some of the sky . Than using a layer mask I made a gradient for the sky which overlapped the mountain peaks than erased the gradient from the mount ions than used my brightness or exposure to bring the gradient down in exposure more. The cool part here is I am only working on the sky so anything I do at this point only effects the sky which eliminates any need for doing a HDR. Which I hate BTW. Than after I get the exposure what I like. Secret here than in color editor I pick a color like the slight warm tones in the sky and enhance them with maybe more saturation and maybe darken that single color a little and you get a nicely saturated effect in the sky. Key here as Jack said is what we are doing is pinpointing exactly what is needed in your image without doing global adjustments to your image. Much more precise work and simply much better results.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, Thanks for the explanation!

Lovely image as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Big plus here is color editor on my green highlights in the trees I picked that green saturated slightly than added more exposure to it and now my green highlights pop better. Folks once you learn color editor it really is a amazing tool. I did this whole image in C1 and only cloned something in PS. That's how good this program is. There is a lot of color editor in this image being used along with layer masks to highlight like the water for instance.

Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to play around yesterday Jack and was not seeing this BUT my laptop was bogging down and really dragging out my editing process beyond the point of frustrating.
    I was going to try and post some examples but my laptop crashed and I gave up. Also wondering about the Auto Mask tool as I am finding a lot of overlap even when selecting and area with high contrast. Is this tweakable? I know this is new and a wish list but a couple things I would love changed. Will have to play some more....heading to the Apple Store today to look at a new Macbook Pro.....Damn they stopped making the 17" ones

Thanks for the reply Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seriously this is why Jack and I along with other C1 devotes love this program. It is the control we have to tweak anything you want in almost any direction you want.yes we are bias but as you can see for very good reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy I was typing when you posted so did not see it till now LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was trying to play around yesterday Jack and was not seeing this BUT my laptop was bogging down and really dragging out my editing process beyond the point of frustrating.
    I was going to try and post some examples but my laptop crashed and I gave up. Also wondering about the Auto Mask tool as I am finding a lot of overlap even when selecting and area with high contrast. Is this tweakable? I know this is new and a wish list but a couple things I would love changed. Will have to play some more....heading to the Apple Store today to look at a new Macbook Pro.....Damn they stopped making the 17" ones

Thanks for the reply Jack
    My MBP 15 inch with 16gbs of Ram flies through these Nikon files. Note c1 used to be processor hungry so quad cores are what you are after. Also SSD drives really help too. You can do after market on those if your not buying the Retina screens

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful shot Guy do you mind posting the original to see the difference?
    I am seriously thinking of driving down to New York and taking the "Masters" course

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Guy I was typing when you posted so did not see it till now LOL
    No worries . What we are trying to point out is the power this program really has. Jack, Bob and I are junkies on C1 and showing folks how this stuff works hopefully can be a benefit to folks. I'm pretty excited about version 7 so pardon all my enthusiasm. Sometimes I need handcuffs . LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful shot Guy do you mind posting the original to see the difference?
    I am seriously thinking of driving down to New York and taking the "Masters" course
    I will do that in this thread so you can see the effect. Taking a class is a great idea no question and also working with tutorials and such. This program takes time to learn. Once you learn it its hard to use anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW, I have been running C1 on my 18-month old MacBook AIR with no significant issues. It's no speed demon, but still handles IQ180 files just fine. I do however tend to output 8-bit Adobe RGB files from my MBA and save my major 16-bit editing for my Mac Pro...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jack and Guy, sorry did not mean to imply that C1 is what is bogging down my laptop. Everything seems to be bogging it down and it's frustrating, I'm using a 17" Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz intel Core i5 with 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Again thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jack and Guy, sorry did not mean to imply that C1 is what is bogging down my laptop. Everything seems to be bogging it down and it's frustrating, I'm using a 17" Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz intel Core i5 with 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Again thanks for the help
    Well in all truth we have become speed junkies and I'm guilty as hell when it comes to laptops and maxing them out. I spend a lot of money on them but I also spend a lot of time on them so its part of the whole package. The new 2012 models are really nice with T bolt and USB 3 that I'm really happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay raw image directly from camera and than the final done in C1

Gives you a good idea on what can be done.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As you can see i added a lot of drama to the image but in all truth took about 10 minutes using layer masks and color editor. Now i could have cooked it a bit much too but I can simply go back into either each color and fine tune more or in the layer masks i have 3 here and can make those adjustments as well. Point here is what is possible using some tools in your raw processing engine.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the color editor can give you a few surprises when you pick a color in the sky, for example, the add exposure and sat to it, and then see the rocks light up, where you didn't notice the same color was an ingrdient. still a fabulous and easy tool

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes one other thing is try and do small changes and if still not what you want pick that color again and make changes. It really does not handle big changes all at once but likes to build on them. Its really a very fine tune adjustment tool.

You need to shoot a Coke can that has exact red tone in it than you can fine tune to exactly that color you need save as a style and than 3 days later shoot a whole new Coke campaign with that style applied. This is one way also to build a profile for your cam and save those changes as a style and on import apply that style to your images coming in. For instance using styles you can say everything coming in you want at 5100 kelvin with sharpening settings at 160.,.6,1 and luminance at 35mm and lets say clarity at 4 contrast at -4 shadows at plus 6 , black point at 3 plus and the list goes on than save that style and call it Landscape ISO 100 import. Than when you go to import a shoot like this you apply that style to it and all your images come in at those settings. You can do this for high ISO shots, For portraits and the list goes on. The nice thing is you are in control on what you want to setup.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I posted in this thread but could not find it?

1. Shadow/Highlight is way improved (acts now local)

2. C1 V7 is a memory hog and not really fast (Mac Pro 8 core 2009)
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    Doug I have been working with C1-7 last night and today and I agree...the image quality has many great improvements. I have one question....All my images are arranged on my hard drives in my Mac Pro just the way i want them. All I want to do in C1 is to be able to access those folders as they are. I never understood sessions...never needed it...and don't really understand the cataloging feature. Bottom line....How can I just go to a finder menu in C1 and click on the image folder and see the images pop up in C1? Thanks, Eleanor
    You start the default session - or any session, use the library tool to browse for images (look for Macintosh HD or your pictures folder) and if you want, make some of them your favorites. When you exit the program, it will start up where you left it - even the selected image.

-Lionel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Weird I keep reading about speed and its actually faster on mine. I have a 2012 MBP 15 with 16gb of ram and a 240gb 6g OWC Ssd drive which is really fast. I'm on Mt Lion also with full updates. I keep seeing the older machines with reports of slowness. Hmmmm

Now I know previous versions of C1 loved fast processors and cores. Reason I jumped from duo core to quads was C1 which I got double the Speed right out if the gate. I'm not sure if this is still the case or not. Hopefully someone from Phase can let us know if those kinds of changes happened or not to maybe rely more on Ram or something.

Post Thanks / Like

>I keep seeing the older machines with reports of slowness.

I am on my Mac Pro with Lion. All recent updates for this machine got it crashing so I stay with Lion for now.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I love the way C1 7 renders, love the shadow/highlight - but I can't process the images!

I've got the Process Summary all set up right but when I press the button, nothing happens. Sometimes I get a message " Cannot process the current selection. Only editable on line variants can be processed" - yet the images are on line, I can edit them. (They're on the computer's hard drive as a catalogue, imported from current location.)

Any thoughts, any one?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill,

It could be a lot of things - I would look for a write-lock file. I had to delete one when I copied the Catalog from laptop to desktop. C1 wouldn't edit the catalog until I deleted the lock file. This sounds different, as you say you can edit the pictures. Have you done that and it worked? Have you saved the catalog and reopened it and seen that the new edits are in place?

Maybe create a new variant and try to process that?

Good luck!

--Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Matt. I can indeed edit the pictures and the edits do "stick". Likewise variants. I don't know where to look for a write lock file - can you tell me?
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill,

I just can't remember where it was. I would look inside the Catalog itself (on a Mac, use Show Package Contents to see what is inside - the Finder will pretend that it's a file, but it's really a folder.) To be specific, right-click on the Catalog file and there should be a popup menu with "Show Package Contents" as one of the choices. Then you will see folders and files with names like Adjustments, Originals, "Capture One Catalog.cocatalogdb", etc. I THINK that's where the write lock file was... but look for anything suspicious.

Have you tried simply rebooting? Works more often than it should...

Best,

Matt

PS. I also think I had to specify an output folder before it would process the first time. Again, I forget how I did that. The joys of aging.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks again, Matt. Before seeing your latest advice, I simply trashed C1 7 and all its preferences and reinstalled - and now all is good!

Thanks for taking the time to help, most appreciated!

Bill