Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know

Well would love to see C1 have a great catalog system. Honestly I do not even have LR4 on my system. But as I said before and I mean no offense to Phase in any way but first blush at this and it still needs a little work. Which is fine with me, I waited this long already and if they can work some of these issues and get us a rock solid setup than I'm all for it. Be nice to have both my raw processing sessions and a catalog library in one program. He'll they put a cloning tool and a dodge and burn tool in C1 that works like PS, I would consider dumbing photoshop that's how much I do in C1 alone. Great program and Version 7 is killer on my files so I won't be worrying to much on catalogs right now a updated version I am sure is already being worked on.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well would love to see C1 have a great catalog system. Honestly I do not even have LR4 on my system. But as I said before and I mean no offense to Phase in any way but first blush at this and it still needs a little work.
    Agreed. As is there are a lot of promising parts of the Catalog feature, but several medium sized gaps, and some performance issues that need to be improved before I can jump on board Catalogs.

But the fact that the feature is there, and that a lot of the interface has been tweaked to allow it to fit in seamlessly is a good first step.

I have little doubt Cataloging will rock in the near future.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think so too. It's a awesome start and it will only get better.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

C1-7 was almost not working last night....constant crashes, extremely slow to the point it was unusable , the Mac twirling ball most of the time...so bad I had to do a computer restart and start using Lightroom instead. Today I did a clean install and while it hasn't crashed yet anyway, it's very slow, more twirling ball when it loads previews...not as bad as last night but problematic. Hard drive spins a lot on loading previews. (is there any way to keep the on screen previews once they are loaded?) I'm on a Mac...20 gb ram, top of the line everything in early 2008. Computer in tip top shape for all other applications. What can i do to get C1 running so I can use it. Any ideas and thanks!! Eleanor

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Try disabling OpenCL in the C1 preferences. On some systems it seems to cause problems.

--Matt
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Eeanor,
    Thanks to your posting of problems, I visited your site and spent a lot of time admiring your work which was a wonderful experience.
    I don't really know what could be your problem, because I have even run C1-7 on my wife's old iMac, one with the matte screen, with 4GB ram and OSX 6.4.8.. It's not blazingly fast, but not slow either and no twirling balls let alone crashes. I have sent files from my M9 back and forth from LR4 and from MediaPRO with no problems or long waits. I did remove absolutely all folders from phase one/Capture One before installing including the one under application support, saving only styles, work spaces temporarily on my desktop.

Post Thanks / Like

Between Capture One 7 and Pixelmator I haven't used Photoshop once in the last week for any images.

Areas where C1-7 could improve:
    The catalog, well, sucks
    Overall the program *feels* slow (2.6ghz quadcore with 16gigs of ram)
    It won't process grayscale files (!?) so I have to convert all of my B&W film scans to color before processing
    There are too many "modules" which could, by default, be condensed into something much less frenetic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Matt. I will try this and see if it makes some difference. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Try disabling OpenCL in the C1 preferences. On some systems it seems to cause problems.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks so much for your kind words about my site...and also for your comments about your experience with C1. For me it is running better today than last night. I also have many RAW folders I have listed as "favorites" and was wondering if all these could slow things down. Also, I have only one session (one capture folder, one output folder, one trash) and I drag and drop from there. I only work with my RAWs in C1 for processing...everything else I do in Lightroom...organizing, work on tifs, printing, etc etc......which is the way I like to work...at least so far. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by archiM44 View Post
    Eeanor,
    Thanks to your posting of problems, I visited your site and spent a lot of time admiring your work which was a wonderful experience.
    I don't really know what could be your problem, because I have even run C1-7 on my wife's old iMac, one with the matte screen, with 4GB ram and OSX 6.4.8.. It's not blazingly fast, but not slow either and no twirling balls let alone crashes. I have sent files from my M9 back and forth from LR4 and from MediaPRO with no problems or long waits. I did remove absolutely all folders from phase one/Capture One before installing including the one under application support, saving only styles, work spaces temporarily on my desktop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    ...... I also have many RAW folders I have listed as "favorites" and was wondering if all these could slow things down. Also, I have only one session (one capture folder, one output folder, one trash) and I drag and drop from there. .... Eleanor
    This may be the source of your problem. It is not very efficient for C1 to work with one huge session. All sorts of caching of previews and other stuff from pictures you're not even looking at, are carried around in that mega session. If you have RAWs in folders for a particular project/shoot, try just creating a session pointing to that folder, and work from there, it should be a lot faster.

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Between Capture One 7 and Pixelmator I haven't used Photoshop once in the last week for any images.

Areas where C1-7 could improve:
    The catalog, well, sucks
    Overall the program *feels* slow (2.6ghz quadcore with 16gigs of ram)
    It won't process grayscale files (!?) so I have to convert all of my B&W film scans to color before processing
    There are too many "modules" which could, by default, be condensed into something much less frenetic
    Hi Jeremy,

Perhaps you can help me to help you by quantifying 'sucks'? Perhaps there is some feature I can help you with or? Be a bit more specific and ill try to help.

What format are you greyscale files in?

Module wise, we don't actually have any at all! Do you mean the tool tabs? If so you can add/remove those to your liking and populate them with whatever tools you wish.

David
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

Post Thanks / Like

David,
    The catalog in C1-7 misses a couple of features which I need:
    It does not show the thumbnails or a symbol for RAW files from unsupported cameras like the Fuji XPRO1 which I use next to my other cameras. They just don't exist.
    It doesn't allow me to send these files to another program which will process them and reimport the tiff's or jpg's back into it. Here is my earlier post about this:

The catalog in COne7 will not show the embedded thumbnails in RAW files from unsupported cameras like the Fuji Xpro1 which I use next to my M9's and there is no way I know to send the RAW files to a program which can process them and get the tif back into the C1 catalog. Furthermore it should allow me to send any RAW file to any program I want to use at that moment.
    Media Pro does show the embedded thumbnails in the XPRO1 RAW files and sending them to any other program for processing and back as tif or whatever is fast and elegant.
    I just purchased Media PRO and find it better than when I first tried it when it came out.
    I did have to make the admittedly small investment!
    I will now have to decide whether to shift completely to MediaPRO from LR4 catalog and process files in C1 which has always been my program of choice, or undergo the learning curve required for MediaPRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Peter...I was wondering if the one session idea was causing issues....I hear the hard drive going all the time and when it's trying to cache all the previews it tends to crash, or if not crash, just stall so it is unusable. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    This may be the source of your problem. It is not very efficient for C1 to work with one huge session. All sorts of caching of previews and other stuff from pictures you're not even looking at, are carried around in that mega session. If you have RAWs in folders for a particular project/shoot, try just creating a session pointing to that folder, and work from there, it should be a lot faster.

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Phase One View Post
    Hi Jeremy,

Perhaps you can help me to help you by quantifying 'sucks'? Perhaps there is some feature I can help you with or? Be a bit more specific and ill try to help.
    Mostly the things which have already been stated here -- slow, not exporting local adjustment masks, exporting to an Output folder requires reloading those items back into the catalog every time. I feel like the catalog should have been left out of C1-7 and added as C1-7.1 when it was ready for primetime. It almost feels like I am fighting with the program when I use the catalog instead of it being a streamlined process that keeps everything in check.

What format are you greyscale files in?
    16-bit flattened, uncompressed grayscale TIFFs.

Module wise, we don't actually have any at all! Do you mean the tool tabs? If so you can add/remove those to your liking and populate them with whatever tools you wish.

David
    Yes, I mean the tool tabs. I believe it's in another thread, but Jack gives some suggestions on how to setup the tool tabs which I took and everything is *much* smoother. Honestly, I think a more streamlined default setup would make the process of transitioning to C1 much easier.

This is the first time I have ever used C1 and have to say, for me and my work, the processing beats ACR HANDS DOWN -- I'm spending less time fiddling and more time shooting and printing. This weekend I will be printing files processed in C1 vs. ACR to see if the quality difference I think I see in my images translates into the platinum/palladium prints.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is the first time I have ever used C1 and have to say, for me and my work, the processing beats ACR HANDS DOWN -- I'm spending less time fiddling and more time shooting and printing. This weekend I will be printing files processed in C1 vs. ACR to see if the quality difference I think I see in my images translates into the platinum/palladium prints.
    If it's your first time you may find a lot of learning curve is saved by formal Capture One training.

The free online videos are great to get you into the program and help you understand what features are available and basic workflow steps. But, like Photoshop, there is a LOT beyond the basics that can help you improve quality and workflow speed/ease/consistency.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, I mean the tool tabs. I believe it's in another thread, but Jack gives some suggestions on how to setup the tool tabs which I took and everything is *much* smoother. Honestly, I think a more streamlined default setup would make the process of transitioning to C1 much easier.
    Re the default setup: bear in mind that C1's #1 design goal is not making it easier for LR users to switch to C1 (though there is some consideration given there naturally) but to make C1 the best interface possible for it's target users (typically a bit more advanced/pro than the prosumer market LR tends to target). There is always some loss of simplicity when providing such flexibility and power (though we should always push them to keep as much simplicity as possible!).

C1's interface is designed to be customizable to reasonably fit an 11" MBA laptop and expand usefully to a dual-30" monitor setup. To that end the default is designed to fit systems towards the smaller end of this range (many tabs, fewer tools per tab). To fit best on a larger monitor (even a 17" laptop) you'll want to reduce the number of tabs and increase the number of tools per tab. This is a great solution, and since you can save the workspace you only have to make sure changes once.

Here is small screen grab showing a custom setup I built while on-set with a photographer who locks down his camera and shoots several "plates" with small areas of interest.

Such a custom setup, geared specifically to the shoot at hand, is simply not remotely possible with LR.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't transitioning from LR as I have my own catalog/metadata system, but from Photoshop. It seems there is a whole lot more in the way of mousing/clicking in C1, though I haven't set up any custom keyboard shortcuts or learned the ones inherent to the system. Tonight I'll spend some more time with the tool tabs and test out different layouts for my 15" and 30" screens.

Maybe I should watch those free videos online, too -- I'm very much a jump in and learn to swim kinda guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Any idea when the 1Dx tethered shooting might become available? The release notes say it is now but it won't work on either platform.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mostly the things which have already been stated here -- slow, not exporting local adjustment masks, exporting to an Output folder requires reloading those items back into the catalog every time. I feel like the catalog should have been left out of C1-7 and added as C1-7.1 when it was ready for primetime. It almost feels like I am fighting with the program when I use the catalog instead of it being a streamlined process that keeps everything in check.

I think it was I that suggested putting tools under one or two tool tabs. It's okay people get us confused. I'm the good looking Italian short but sweet. LOL

Seriously it's a great way to get a good workflow going to process in a order than you can go back and tweak as you proceed. On a Mac command D is your friend. Process this image

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As you work to setup for different screen sizes you can save that workspace say for a 15 inch and create a new 30 inch and save that

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I'm now using a single "untitled session" to access my files (though I have created Catalogs too) and it's working quite well.

I find crashes will occur if I try to do things too quickly - like deleting several files one after another. In fact, that's about the only time I get the spinning beach ball of death. I've got a pretty fast Mac with lots of Ram - but I can't do things too rapidly.

And C1 7 is a memory hog. I hope subsequent versions will work a bit more efficiently.

But the image quality, shadow/highlight and the grad filter are all superb.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys,

The auto adjustment in keystone does not work!

Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dan its possible it only works with a IQ back because it has the built in leveling in the backs.

Need to confirm this but I think that is the case

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Santoso View Post
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks
    IQ only. Requires the fore-aft hardware level which records the amount of camera tilt into the metadata.

Auto horizon: same thing, IQ only.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Santoso View Post
    As others said, we need to be able to read the full orientation of the camera which we can only do for IQ backs.

There is another requirement: the keystone tool in Capture One simulates the geometry obtained with a technical camera. This means that keystoning depends on focal length.

Example: if you take a picture of a circular clock from the ground (think Big Ben) and use the keystone tool in Capture One to get a front view [1], the clock should be circular [2].

One side effect of this is that autokeystone requires that the focal length can be read from from metadata. That is unfortunate, because it means that it does not work on a typical technical camera. Sorry about that...

[1] This correction is too much correction to be recommended. Work with me OK? It is just a way to illustrate the problem.

[2] This is not the case with most software. While you may not notice it much at medium and short focal lengths, it really does suck if you try to stitch.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jeremy,

Yes, the LA bug was unfortunate but has been fixed so look out for that in 7.0.1.

Catalog comments noted. Please remember though we have many other great features to make it attractive. Sharing catalogs bewteen computers and being able to open more than one or switch catalogs without relaunching for example.

However, I am VERY pleased that you are getting great results image quality wise.

D
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't transitioning from LR as I have my own catalog/metadata system, but from Photoshop. It seems there is a whole lot more in the way of mousing/clicking in C1, though I haven't set up any custom keyboard shortcuts or learned the ones inherent to the system. Tonight I'll spend some more time with the tool tabs and test out different layouts for my 15" and 30" screens.

Maybe I should watch those free videos online, too -- I'm very much a jump in and learn to swim kinda guy.
    Hey Jeremy,

Yes, its a good idea. Spend 4 minutes watching to save 20 minutes keyboard bashing.

Capture One Pro 7 imaging software - YouTube
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Re the default setup: bear in mind that C1's #1 design goal is not making it easier for LR users to switch to C1 (though there is some consideration given there naturally) but to make C1 the best interface possible for it's target users (typically a bit more advanced/pro than the prosumer market LR tends to target). There is always some loss of simplicity when providing such flexibility and power (though we should always push them to keep as much simplicity as possible!).

C1's interface is designed to be customizable to reasonably fit an 11" MBA laptop and expand usefully to a dual-30" monitor setup .... This is a great solution, and since you can save the workspace you only have to make sure changes once.
    Hey Jeremy,

Yes, its a good idea. Spend 4 minutes watching to save 20 minutes keyboard bashing. ....

Sorry Doug (and Dave),

I'm a pro and I started with C1 and move away when they went to v4. Came back in v6 to try it for portraits. No matter how you word it, LR has a better workflow than C1. Yes, you can create keyboard shortcuts but some things can't be done via keyboard shortcuts.

Like I mentioned in LL forum (where you responded), you need to create workspaces in order to achieve something that I consider basic and necessary: switch from full browser mode, to individual image viewing to processing the image. In LR, you only need to hit either G/E or D. In C1 you need to hit several key combination keys and you can't make a shortcut for changing spaces (the only way to achieve some things). C1 requires use of the mouse a lot more.

For LR, I watched one video when it was introduced and it was done. With C1, I watched (I forgot how many videos) so many videos so many times and I'm still told that I need to take some courses. Even Photoshop requires less training than C1.

Maybe Phase should look at their own past history (aka v3.xx; and yes, you can add things without complicating it) or Adobe when it comes to keeping it simple (although it's good that at least you can customize your tools).

You might think "use LR if you don't like C1". Just like with anything, in some cases LR gives me a better output and in other cases C1 does, thus the reason for me trying to use it (but I will always use LR for weddings).

Another point: C1 Pro, is (supposed) to be designed to work with many cameras thus with all kinds of photographers. C1 started with the DB guys which implies a certain type of photographer and workflow. C1 Pro is for more types of photographers, but that doesn't mean one type is a Pro and the other is a Prosumer.
    Last edited by Valentin; 8th November 2012 at 07:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll ditto what Bill says...I'm using one session entitled simply "Capture One" with all my RAW file folders listed as favorites in that session. If I don't give the folders time to load when I select a favorite, thats when I have crashes or freezes. My late 2007 top of the line Mac pro with 20 gb ram is kept in top running shape and I've done a couple of clean installs of v7 so it's running pretty well right now. I'm now using C1-7 for all RAW processing and also if I need to up res a file as it does a superb job of that too. With that said, I export all tifs and jpgs to Lightroom and LR takes over from there...organizing, printing, etc. This C1 v7 to LR workflow is working quite well for me. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Well, I'm now using a single "untitled session" to access my files (though I have created Catalogs too) and it's working quite well.

I find crashes will occur if I try to do things too quickly - like deleting several files one after another. In fact, that's about the only time I get the spinning beach ball of death. I've got a pretty fast Mac with lots of Ram - but I can't do things too rapidly.

And C1 7 is a memory hog. I hope subsequent versions will work a bit more efficiently.

But the image quality, shadow/highlight and the grad filter are all superb.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    C1 requires use of the mouse a lot more.
    I do not agree. It really depends on how you organize your workflow. I for one use the mouse not that much in C1. In fact C1's custumization options are one of the reasons I like C1 so much. If you take the time to really explore C1's options you'll find it's really fast and straight forward.

I'll ditto what Bill says...I'm using one session entitled simply "Capture One" with all my RAW file folders listed as favorites in that session.
    This kind of contradicts C1's design. Sooner or later you'll run into serious issues and for sure C1 will slow down dramatically over time as the "favorite" folders of a session always gets cached in the background on startup. Too, if the session file gets damaged (for whatever reason) you have to rebulit it (which is not really a big deal, though, when your captures all reside in one folder. But when your actual captures reside in different folders rebuilding a damaged session file may be a major issue).

I'd strongly recommend to create a new session for each shooting to keep the number of images within one session relatively low. You can still use the same output folder for all your processed TIFs if you choose to do so (me personally I do not because I also backup the procssed TIFs. Basically I backup entire session folders (preview and focus mask cache excluded) to store my RAWs and the respective TIFs within one parent folder).
    If you like C1 do yourself a favour and take the time to learn how to work with sessions. Once you get it's fast and easy ...
    Last edited by thomas; 11th November 2012 at 04:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree one session per job and if you keep working the other way you can run into preview and such issues. Even jobs that top in at about 600 images I may run into problems.

Another thing is be patient on import. It may seem slow to you but C1 actually does a lot of work up front on import so once finally everything is cached into the session the processing and adjustments are much much faster on the end that counts and that is the processing .

Seriously I'll import from my cards and go do something else for awhile until it all builds up. For instance I may go read this fine forum or go make a espresso. LOL

Bottom line don't rush C1 on the build up of a new session just leave it alone and let it do its thing.

Remember what counts here it all those great images you just shot and you don't want to play between your card and computer. Just leave all that import, preview and session stuff alone. Don't interfere with it.

Added note: I used to work in one session years ago with all my images using the drop down folder setup and eventually it all got screwed up with previews and such as described above here. Seemed easy and simple at first but it really turns ugly on you. Really try the one job per session setup , you will have far less issues and you will be far better organized in your workflow, backups and file system. View a session as a job folder everything just sits in there and nowhere else. All you adjustments, raws , output files and all that is ready to go when you decide to go back hit the .col session file and work again. All your adjustments are there months later when you go back. It seems like more work but once your setup its always the same way. I'm stubborn it took Bob, Jack and Doug pounding at me to convert. I caved in and started working in the one job per session manner and its been great. More important is it don't mess up on me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Once you learn how C1 works and it does take time to learn. Make no mistake about that but once you get your workflow down it truly is very fast and more important very accurate raw processor with a lot of movement for your creative side to do everything you want to a file. I rarely need PS after processing and its only a couple things I need from PS if ever. So if you devote yourself to this in the end you will really be proficient at it. I don't use any other program for raw processing and I won't buy any camera that is not supported by it or will be at the time. Yes it's like a marriage to me , I am committed to it totally.

My favorite line to workshop attendees is your far better off being a expert at one raw processor than being just okay at several raw processors. I've never been wrong on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy
    Thanks to this thread I am now going to rebuild my workflow using one session for each shoot. Although Capture One has been my RAW processor of choice for many many years I have been using LR since it came out as my catalog and have all my files in a well structured folder. Usually sending images out for processing to C1 and reimporting into LR either by synchronizing the folder or using a watched folder.
    It is going to be a tough transition, but the first trial with a couple of shoots has convinced me that a session is a neat package that is easy to move around.
    After following Peter Krogh's video tutorials about sessions and Media1 it gave me an idea on how it might be worked out for me. My image folder "tree" is based on subjects and dates and it is going to be a b**ch to rework.
    Any hints or even a "don't change a horse even if it's a little lame" wil be appreciated.
    Thanks a lot guys for pointing out a better direction
    Maurice

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You still can in each session name it like you do today name and date. David and Doug may have a better answer for this but sounds like it will come down to naming and meta data tags. I personally just started back over from scratch and put a time period that I switched over . What I was doing was having raws on one drive and my output on another which has some sense but now keeping everything together is actually a better setup and a much better backup system. I'm one of those a little loose on organizing which is not good. You do have to be a little anal on this.

Peter does a nice job on the tutorials so following his advice is good thing.

The hard part in all of this is getting yourself setup for the future with filing systems, backups and such. So yes you need to think this through. I'm going to use C1 catalog setup for final images as soon as they can see layered Tifs. For me getting to ALL my finals , say like my landscapes I need to go look for them but a catalog of them would be great.

It's hard to recommend the best setup system for folks since we all work diffrent but if you adopt the sessions way than you are better off in the long run

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thomas I'm leaning toward what you said below for sessions, as last night my computer came to a standstill trying to load....I didn't understand how C1 uses "favorites" and C1 was unusable last night..literally. let me ask a question...when creating a session, I locate the session in the RAW file folder and because i checked unthethered, I don't have a capture folder...just having the session folder in the same folder as the RAW files of that session. When I open the session I don't see the files so I put the RAW folder as a "favorite" for that session, that way I see the files in, say, Colorado RAW session. Should I be doing something different? thanks, eleanor PS, after I wrote this I went and looked at the session "Colorado RAW" and there is an "all images" album...is this what I should use instead of adding "colorado RAW" as a favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post

This kind of contradicts C1's design. Sooner or later you'll run into serious issues and for sure C1 will slow down dramatically over time as the "favorite" folders of a session always gets cached in the background on startup. Too, if the session file gets damaged (for whatever reason) you have to rebulit it (which is not really a big deal, though, when your captures all reside in one folder. But when your actual captures reside in different folders rebuilding a damaged session file may be a major issue).

I'd strongly recommend to create a new session for each shooting to keep the number of images within one session relatively low. You can still use the same output folder for all your processed TIFs if you choose to do so (me personally I do not because I also backup the procssed TIFs. Basically I backup entire session folders (preview and focus mask cache excluded) to store my RAWs and the respective TIFs within one parent folder).
    If you like C1 do yourself a favour and take the time to learn how to work with sessions. Once you get it's fast and easy ...
    Last edited by eleanorbrown; 11th November 2012 at 09:17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eleanor check it tethered regardless if you are or not. This way you will always get a capture folder in the session with your images in it otherwise they just float in the session folder. It's just a neater way to do it. Seems to work better too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't use favorites per say. I just rate my images with the stars and sort that way when I edit like that. But some folks use favorites. No real right or wrong here as long as you understand how you are working. Like PS sometimes there are 5 ways to accomplish the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy one other question...I never initially import into the final RAW folder (now a session) because many times my camera card contains images that I want to put into different RAW folders (sessions to be). I have in initial "Import" session and go through the images and drag and drop to appropriate RAW folder categories from there. Would I drop files in the capture folder in the session targeted session...say "colorado RAW session"? How would I put in a capture folder in the few sessions I already have with no Capture folder (just make a folder in the finder and then drag files from that session into the capture folder? many many thanks!! eleanor

Eleanor check it tethered regardless if you are or not. This way you will always get a capture folder in the session with your images in it otherwise they just float in the session folder. It's just a neater way to do it. Seems to work better too.

Post Thanks / Like

Eleanor
    I looked atPeter Krogh's video tutorials on Media Pro in the Phase One site and because he also handles sessions and archiving it set me on a new workflow ussing sessions clearly named and forming a complete package.
    I had a card with two different shoots on it and made a named session for one, and another named session for the other and ended up with 2 nice "packages" with everything included which can be moved around, saved etc. and which can be nicely coupled to the MediaPro catalog
    The videos are worth looking at
    Maurice

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy one other question...I never initially import into the final RAW folder (now a session) because many times my camera card contains images that I want to put into different RAW folders (sessions to be). I have in initial "Import" session and go through the images and drag and drop to appropriate RAW folder categories from there. Would I drop files in the capture folder in the session targeted session...say "colorado RAW session"? How would I put in a capture folder in the few sessions I already have with no Capture folder (just make a folder in the finder and then drag files from that session into the capture folder? many many thanks!! eleanor
    You could do that and add the capture folder. You may have to redirect though the location they are coming from now. I have not done this but my bet is you can do it. Obviously you could go another route is pull those raws out and make a new session than start over by importing them . Than you could replace the adjustments from the old to the new folder. It may get tricky . Maybe Doug or Dave can give better advice here as I have not done this myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You could do that and add the capture folder. You may have to redirect though the location they are coming from now. I have not done this but my bet is you can do it. Obviously you could go another route is pull those raws out and make a new session than start over by importing them . Than you could replace the adjustments from the old to the new folder. It may get tricky . Maybe Doug or Dave can give better advice here as I have not done this myself.
    Yes, you can import them anywhere or even leave them on the card, then make a session and navigate to wherever they are and move them to your capture (or session) folder.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by archiM44 View Post
    Eleanor
    I looked atPeter Krogh's video tutorials on Media Pro in the Phase One site and because he also handles sessions and archiving it set me on a new workflow ussing sessions clearly named and forming a complete package.
    I had a card with two different shoots on it and made a named session for one, and another named session for the other and ended up with 2 nice "packages" with everything included which can be moved around, saved etc. and which can be nicely coupled to the MediaPro catalog
    The videos are worth looking at
    Maurice
    I also like to store other info in the session such as model releases and so forth so that it all stays together.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Yes, you can import them anywhere or even leave them on the card, then make a session and navigate to wherever they are and move them to your capture (or session) folder.
    -bob
    Thanks Bob for jumping in on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

-bob
    Thanks Bob for jumping in on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Maurice, Guy and Bob...all good guidance and suggestions. I definitely realize that I can't have just "one giant session" as that gets extremely problematic and shuts C1 down. I will work on making a session for each RAW file folder...I have always organized by location which has worked the best for me. Eleanor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Maurice, Guy and Bob...all good guidance and suggestions. I definitely realize that I can't have just "one giant session" as that gets extremely problematic and shuts C1 down. I will work on making a session for each RAW file folder...I have always organized by location which has worked the best for me. Eleanor
    If you have an existing folder you can specify its path and c1 will convert it into a session structure.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok Bob, let me understand something...say I have the top folder: Colorado RAW. Inside that is the session folder that contains the capture folder, output folder, trash folder, etc etc. Now should the actual colorado raw files be in the primary top level "Colorado RAW" folder OR....should the raw images actually be inside the Capture folder that is inside the session folder that is inside the primary "colorado RAW" folder?? Hope I'm not being too confusing. thanks! eleanor

If you have an existing folder you can specify its path and c1 will convert it into a session structure.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok Bob, let me understand something...say I have the top folder: Colorado RAW. Inside that is the session folder that contains the capture folder, output folder, trash folder, etc etc. Now should the actual colorado raw files be in the primary top level "Colorado RAW" folder OR....should the raw images actually be inside the Capture folder that is inside the session folder that is inside the primary "colorado RAW" folder?? Hope I'm not being too confusing. thanks! eleanor
    That depends on taste actually.
    I prefer to keep all of my raws within a capture folder which then separates the raw files from other information that might be in the session folder.
    My personal preference might be something like this:
    Assume I have a Colorado folder and then beneath it I might have a Flatirons folder. Under the Flatirons folder I might haver a folder labeled with the shoot date, say 2012-11-11 which would then be the session folder. Under that there would be the capture, output, tray, and selects folders. I prefer to configure all of my sessions as if they were tethered. That way I get two benefits. 1) all of my sessions look alike tethered or not. 2) The session folder remains uncluttered so other files may be tucked in there.

My personal habits are that I use a top level folder which is the year, and then under that sessions labeled by date and subject such as 2012-11-11 Flatirons.
    The rays then are stored under that session fielder as capture and the rest according to the usual session style.
    I label all of my images with the location (country, state, city, and location) and then add my selects to a media pro catalog. I have yet to integrate the new catalog feature into my workflow.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, thanks again Bob, this is helpful. One other question and then I'm through ...(i think)!! I assume if I drag and drop files from one session onto another session, all the C1 processing settings go with the files...provided all this is done through the C1 application. thanks, Eleanor

That depends on taste actually.
    I prefer to keep all of my raws within a capture folder which then separates the raw files from other information that might be in the session folder.
    My personal preference might be something like this:
    Assume I have a Colorado folder and then beneath it I might have a Flatirons folder. Under the Flatirons folder I might haver a folder labeled with the shoot date, say 2012-11-11 which would then be the session folder. Under that there would be the capture, output, tray, and selects folders. I prefer to configure all of my sessions as if they were tethered. That way I get two benefits. 1) all of my sessions look alike tethered or not. 2) The session folder remains uncluttered so other files may be tucked in there.

My personal habits are that I use a top level folder which is the year, and then under that sessions labeled by date and subject such as 2012-11-11 Flatirons.
    The rays then are stored under that session fielder as capture and the rest according to the usual session style.
    I label all of my images with the location (country, state, city, and location) and then add my selects to a media pro catalog. I have yet to integrate the new catalog feature into my workflow.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, thanks again Bob, this is helpful. One other question and then I'm through ...(i think)!! I assume if I drag and drop files from one session onto another session, all the C1 processing settings go with the files...provided all this is done through the C1 application. thanks, Eleanor
    Yup, that works.
    -bob