The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I was trying to play around yesterday Jack and was not seeing this BUT my laptop was bogging down and really dragging out my editing process beyond the point of frustrating.
I was going to try and post some examples but my laptop crashed and I gave up. Also wondering about the Auto Mask tool as I am finding a lot of overlap even when selecting and area with high contrast. Is this tweakable? I know this is new and a wish list but a couple things I would love changed. Will have to play some more....heading to the Apple Store today to look at a new Macbook Pro.....Damn they stopped making the 17" ones :(

Thanks for the reply Jack
My MBP 15 inch with 16gbs of Ram flies through these Nikon files. Note c1 used to be processor hungry so quad cores are what you are after. Also SSD drives really help too. You can do after market on those if your not buying the Retina screens

Dan Bellyk

Beautiful shot Guy do you mind posting the original to see the difference?
I am seriously thinking of driving down to New York and taking the "Masters" course

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Guy I was typing when you posted so did not see it till now LOL
No worries . What we are trying to point out is the power this program really has. Jack, Bob and I are junkies on C1 and showing folks how this stuff works hopefully can be a benefit to folks. I'm pretty excited about version 7 so pardon all my enthusiasm. Sometimes I need handcuffs . LOL

Guy Mancuso

Beautiful shot Guy do you mind posting the original to see the difference?
I am seriously thinking of driving down to New York and taking the "Masters" course
I will do that in this thread so you can see the effect. Taking a class is a great idea no question and also working with tutorials and such. This program takes time to learn. Once you learn it its hard to use anything else.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, I have been running C1 on my 18-month old MacBook AIR with no significant issues. It's no speed demon, but still handles IQ180 files just fine. I do however tend to output 8-bit Adobe RGB files from my MBA and save my major 16-bit editing for my Mac Pro...

Dan Bellyk

Thanks Jack and Guy, sorry did not mean to imply that C1 is what is bogging down my laptop. Everything seems to be bogging it down and it's frustrating, I'm using a 17" Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz intel Core i5 with 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Again thanks for the help

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Jack and Guy, sorry did not mean to imply that C1 is what is bogging down my laptop. Everything seems to be bogging it down and it's frustrating, I'm using a 17" Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz intel Core i5 with 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Again thanks for the help
Well in all truth we have become speed junkies and I'm guilty as hell when it comes to laptops and maxing them out. I spend a lot of money on them but I also spend a lot of time on them so its part of the whole package. The new 2012 models are really nice with T bolt and USB 3 that I'm really happy with it.

Guy Mancuso

Okay raw image directly from camera and than the final done in C1

Gives you a good idea on what can be done.

Guy Mancuso

As you can see i added a lot of drama to the image but in all truth took about 10 minutes using layer masks and color editor. Now i could have cooked it a bit much too but I can simply go back into either each color and fine tune more or in the layer masks i have 3 here and can make those adjustments as well. Point here is what is possible using some tools in your raw processing engine.

jlm

Workshop Member
the color editor can give you a few surprises when you pick a color in the sky, for example, the add exposure and sat to it, and then see the rocks light up, where you didn't notice the same color was an ingrdient. still a fabulous and easy tool

Guy Mancuso

Yes one other thing is try and do small changes and if still not what you want pick that color again and make changes. It really does not handle big changes all at once but likes to build on them. Its really a very fine tune adjustment tool.

You need to shoot a Coke can that has exact red tone in it than you can fine tune to exactly that color you need save as a style and than 3 days later shoot a whole new Coke campaign with that style applied. This is one way also to build a profile for your cam and save those changes as a style and on import apply that style to your images coming in. For instance using styles you can say everything coming in you want at 5100 kelvin with sharpening settings at 160.,.6,1 and luminance at 35mm and lets say clarity at 4 contrast at -4 shadows at plus 6 , black point at 3 plus and the list goes on than save that style and call it Landscape ISO 100 import. Than when you go to import a shoot like this you apply that style to it and all your images come in at those settings. You can do this for high ISO shots, For portraits and the list goes on. The nice thing is you are in control on what you want to setup.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I thought I posted in this thread but could not find it?

1. Shadow/Highlight is way improved (acts now local)

2. C1 V7 is a memory hog and not really fast (Mac Pro 8 core 2009)

lkuhlmann

Doug I have been working with C1-7 last night and today and I agree...the image quality has many great improvements. I have one question....All my images are arranged on my hard drives in my Mac Pro just the way i want them. All I want to do in C1 is to be able to access those folders as they are. I never understood sessions...never needed it...and don't really understand the cataloging feature. Bottom line....How can I just go to a finder menu in C1 and click on the image folder and see the images pop up in C1? Thanks, Eleanor
You start the default session - or any session, use the library tool to browse for images (look for Macintosh HD or your pictures folder) and if you want, make some of them your favorites. When you exit the program, it will start up where you left it - even the selected image.

-Lionel

Guy Mancuso

Weird I keep reading about speed and its actually faster on mine. I have a 2012 MBP 15 with 16gb of ram and a 240gb 6g OWC Ssd drive which is really fast. I'm on Mt Lion also with full updates. I keep seeing the older machines with reports of slowness. Hmmmm

Now I know previous versions of C1 loved fast processors and cores. Reason I jumped from duo core to quads was C1 which I got double the Speed right out if the gate. I'm not sure if this is still the case or not. Hopefully someone from Phase can let us know if those kinds of changes happened or not to maybe rely more on Ram or something.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I keep seeing the older machines with reports of slowness.

I am on my Mac Pro with Lion. All recent updates for this machine got it crashing so I stay with Lion for now.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, I love the way C1 7 renders, love the shadow/highlight - but I can't process the images!

I've got the Process Summary all set up right but when I press the button, nothing happens. Sometimes I get a message " Cannot process the current selection. Only editable on line variants can be processed" - yet the images are on line, I can edit them. (They're on the computer's hard drive as a catalogue, imported from current location.)

Any thoughts, any one?

Bill

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Bill,

It could be a lot of things - I would look for a write-lock file. I had to delete one when I copied the Catalog from laptop to desktop. C1 wouldn't edit the catalog until I deleted the lock file. This sounds different, as you say you can edit the pictures. Have you done that and it worked? Have you saved the catalog and reopened it and seen that the new edits are in place?

Maybe create a new variant and try to process that?

Good luck!

--Matt

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks Matt. I can indeed edit the pictures and the edits do "stick". Likewise variants. I don't know where to look for a write lock file - can you tell me?
Bill

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Bill,

I just can't remember where it was. I would look inside the Catalog itself (on a Mac, use Show Package Contents to see what is inside - the Finder will pretend that it's a file, but it's really a folder.) To be specific, right-click on the Catalog file and there should be a popup menu with "Show Package Contents" as one of the choices. Then you will see folders and files with names like Adjustments, Originals, "Capture One Catalog.cocatalogdb", etc. I THINK that's where the write lock file was... but look for anything suspicious.

Have you tried simply rebooting? Works more often than it should...

Best,

Matt

PS. I also think I had to specify an output folder before it would process the first time. Again, I forget how I did that. The joys of aging.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks again, Matt. Before seeing your latest advice, I simply trashed C1 7 and all its preferences and reinstalled - and now all is good!

Thanks for taking the time to help, most appreciated!

Bill