The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I can't decide if it's a bug or a feature, but if you paint with 30% opacity, then discover that you missed a spot, it's almost impossible to fill it in. Painting over the area with another stroke of 30% will fill in the hole, but will double paint the overlap. There doesn't seem (at first glance) to be a way to add to an existing stroke.
The dropdown arrow in the top right of the layers tool will allow you to "fill" the mask in. This is also helpful as a shortcut to filling in the center of a complicated mask - i.e. just paint the entire outside edge of a barn and push "fill" and the rest of the barn will be filled in.

My biggest problem is that exporting an image from a catalog fails to export the local adjustment masks. With Sessions, I would archive selects by exporting as EIP, but that doesn't seem possible from a catalog. I'd be happy to make a special "Selects Catalog" for backup, but I don't see how to do even that. I've tried different settings, and trashing plist files from older installations, but still no LAM on export. Anyone else having this problem? I'm using OS X 10.8 on both desktop and laptop. Same behavior on both.

I'd expect additional import/export/merging actions will be added to the cataloging feature. Right now if you export "with adjustments" Capture One puts the adjustments in a side-car folder named "Capture One" wherever you put the raw file. I'd prefer to see a direct-to-EIP option and while I can't promise it will happen I'd be surprised if it didn't.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug, I was really chuffed to see Phase finally included an opacity filter in the local adjustment but would love your help as I can see no way of adjusting the opacity once the mask has been painted?

I can paint a mask with a 30% opacity but don't see a way of tweaking this. Seems backwards if that is how its been implemented if I need to know what opacity my mask needs to be before I draw it......... is there a crystal ball feature I've missed? :p

Loving version 7 so far apart from this little niggle!
I'd love to see a post-facto opacity slider on the LAYER itself.

Right now there is only a opacity slider on the brush which is hugely useful and a big step forward, but a layer opacity slider would be very useful as well.

I doubt they've had a meeting wherein they've said "you know what, adjustment layers are good enough now - let's never improve them in any way ever again" :D So keep the good suggestions coming and stay tuned!

RVB

What I am seeing so far with C1P7 is a big improvement in 1DX file conversion,far better than LR4...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Under local adjustments Bill. Create a new layer . Hold mouse down icon and it comes up. Not at computer to give you a visual

Stefan Steib

OK - have tried C1-7 now for a day. Unfortunately it is not very pleasant result. On My MBPro17 /6Gig ram /OSX 10.7.5 the old version ran stable and reasonable fast ( once startedwhich is slooooooow !).
C1-7 has already crashed on me 4x times , 1 time so serious that I had to reboot, finish immediately would have no effect.
the overall performance is slow. Previews are sluggish sometimes changeing a directory just ends in a spinning wheel and nothing happens.
Whereas the latest version 6.4.4 is nearly instantaneous on my machine V7 is also blocking the resources of other programs, it seems to gobble ram like crazy. Even starting Preview additionally to C1-7 takes time now. Running Photoshop 6 additionally is impossible. It also seems to leak memory. After some time my machine gets slower and slower. I had to restart to get to the normal status after finishing the prog.

Seems to me this Upgrade was designed for really fast machines, on my early 2008 Dual Core Mac its just barely usable.

Overall, will go back to 6.4.4. Maybe in some months I´ll try again. right now - NOGO.

Regards
Stefan

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Stefan,

Must be something corrupt in your installation -- try a complete removal of all of your C1 files and then reload fresh.

Stefan Steib

Hi Jack

I suspect more it does not like the old versions to be on the same machine.
As I see all the old preferrences for the workspaces of the last 15 versions that I had on the Mac. Somehow this irritates V7 - as I said, there was no Browser right choice, I had to create one - with the trick of using 6.4.4 and saving this as a dedicated workspace. Then it suddenly showed up in 7 as Workspace #16.
I also see that V7 does probably not read the previews generated by 6.4.4. It starts running the spinning wheel and then sometimes crashes.

Everything else runs smoothly. System is perfectly stable and fast.
No Problem. I will just use 6.4.4.

Will try it on another machine, probably will buy another late 2011 MBPro17 soon, then lets see.

Regards

Stefan

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Specs.

Intel® Core® 2 Duo or better
4 GB of RAM
10 GB of free hard disk space
Calibrated color monitor with 1280 x 800, 24 bit resolution at 96dpi screen ruling
Mac OS X 10.8.2, 10.7.5, 10.6.8 or later
Flash is required to view the intro video
An Internet connection when activating Capture One

Dan Bellyk

Guy question about the Gradiant Tool, when you open up a layer and want to make adjustments these are made to the gradiant area but when I try to use the HDR shadow or highlights it applies to the whole image...Am I doing something wrong?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The HDR tool does not appear to be layer specific. You can tell because of the little brush icon that appears next to the name of, e.g., the Clarity tool when added under the local adjustment menu. That little brush does NOT appear when you add the HDR tool to that menu (I just tried it).

Best,

Matt

Jeremy

Yes on a case by case basis depending on what institution and what position you work in (i.e. a professor of commercial photography is a no brainer, an accountant at a fine art college is a no go).

Email [email protected] or call the office to speak with someone in sales (I'd suggest getting the trial for now and calling on Wednesday or Thursday of next week; it will be pure chaos for Friday/Monday with the c1v7 launch).
Will do, thank you, Doug.

I heard from my local dealer IQ is super amazing!! Totally different algorithm.

I cant wait.
Hi All

Just downloaded Window 64bit DB verson for Credo 80 files, and tried for half an hour. initial impression:

*The good: improved image quality as said by previous posters, especially on low light noise and rendition of details.

*The not so good:no improvements on speed, and in my case it even renders slower compared to C1 Pro 6 (6.4.4). Haven't figured out how to create and store / apply lcc profile yet. In this regard it is not as intuitive as version 6.

*The less pretty: Crashed two times when importing images from CF card via card reader from 1st time start up. Converted images sometimes corrupted with random white dots / lines when keystone correction was applied during processing.

Need time to have the bugs fixed.

Philip

alan_w_george

Lovin' the new LCC batch processing. Select all your LCCs press "Create LCC" and go get lunch:)

Beware if you already have an LCC generated from C1 6 under ~/Library/... for the LCC you are creating in C1 7, it seems to get confused. Clear out the old LCCs and it works fine.

IQ is crazy better. Amazing! But totally different, it's going to take a while to learn how the new engine performs, old adjustments no longer produce good results.

eleanorbrown

Doug I have been working with C1-7 last night and today and I agree...the image quality has many great improvements. I have one question....All my images are arranged on my hard drives in my Mac Pro just the way i want them. All I want to do in C1 is to be able to access those folders as they are. I never understood sessions...never needed it...and don't really understand the cataloging feature. Bottom line....How can I just go to a finder menu in C1 and click on the image folder and see the images pop up in C1? Thanks, Eleanor