The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug I have been working with C1-7 last night and today and I agree...the image quality has many great improvements. I have one question....All my images are arranged on my hard drives in my Mac Pro just the way i want them. All I want to do in C1 is to be able to access those folders as they are. I never understood sessions...never needed it...and don't really understand the cataloging feature. Bottom line....How can I just go to a finder menu in C1 and click on the image folder and see the images pop up in C1? Thanks, Eleanor
Start a new session and use the System Folders area of the library tab.

Just like in v6.

archivue

Do we still need to use lossless compression with Leaf Aptus backs ?

Is it fully compatible with 10.6.8 ?

Thanks !

cam

leica monochrom support

doug,

is there any chance that C1 will be able yo accept files from the Leica Monochrom?

thank you in advance,
cam

jlm

Workshop Member
image load crashes C7; tried three times. was a clean install (mac)
Ci loads, session created and open, tried to load images from CD card using import images function, causes C1 to quit, i did send error report to Phase

got them to load by manually moving images to the capture file (they were jpgs anyway)

Last edited:

gebseng

The new way of handling LCC files seems to support the "shoot LCC right before/after capture" method only.
I work with a catalog of LCC files I shot in the studio, a method that suits my workflow better (no problems with long exposures indoors, less color balance shorts after correction, faster,…).
Sure, for now I was able to import my old LCC presets from CO6 to CO7. But in the future, if I have to add new LCC presets to projects, I would have to add the actual files themselves to each new project, or am I missing out on something?

geb

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The new way of handling LCC files seems to support the "shoot LCC right before/after capture" method only.
I work with a catalog of LCC files I shot in the studio, a method that suits my workflow better (no problems with long exposures indoors, less color balance shorts after correction, faster,…).
Sure, for now I was able to import my old LCC presets from CO6 to CO7. But in the future, if I have to add new LCC presets to projects, I would have to add the actual files themselves to each new project, or am I missing out on something?

geb
Use the "preset" pulldown in the LCC tool. Same idea as in v6 but the vocabulary/method is now uniform with all the other tools rather than using its own interface concept.

archiM44

Because I have received no replies or help on my question in an other thread, I am trying it here.

I have RAW files from D-Lux5 and Panasonic LX-2 that Capture One 7PRO will either not recognize at all or when loading shows the thumbnails and then promptly renders them all as entirely white and when going to the develop tool renders them black.
I have reinstalled C1-7 (I originally had completely removed C1-6PRO) to no avail. Since I have used Capture since 3x I have never had such a problem.
I no longer have any of these cameras, but recall having no problems processing the same files in previous versions.
have tried removing acceleration in preferences when one of the files started flashing thumbnail and black.
The information tool shows perfectly correct information.
The files show up perfectly in Media 1 and from there they can be perfectly processed in Photoshop CS6, Iridient Raw Developer, RPP Raw Photo Processor,
and Aperture.
It's not a serious problem as the images are not very important and I have many ways to process them, but still.......Anybody know what the problem might be?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Have you opened a support ticket with phaseone? They are pretty responsive and either get a fix or acknowledge a bug to be fixed in the next release.

I'm sorry that I don't have a solution to offer you.

--Matt

archiM44

Matt
Thanks for your reply.
I have a support ticket started with uploaded files and my experience with Phase One has always been extremely positive.
What intrigues me is that so many other programs do open these files and process them to tiff's jpegs etc.
Maurice

Dan Bellyk

Doug and Guy thanks sooo much, my new MacBook Pro showed up today and so far the only thing loaded is Capture One and it's running great, still sooo much to learn but right from the start and with a little tweaking the photos look great with lot's of punch!

Catalogs are getting annoying - is there good documentation on using them in a workflow?

1) I already opened a ticket on what I think is a real bug. Local adjustment masks are not exported even when exporting originals "with adjustments". This makes selective backup almost impossible. :cussing:

2) With a session, I have an output folder. Anything I process is visible there. This seems necessary as C1 can't print reliably from a RAW, but only from an already processed file. BUT... with a Catalog, although I specify an Output folder, I can't SEE the contents of that folder unless I go and add the contents to the catalog. And then every time I process, I have to find the new TIFFs and add THEM. This sounds just wrong. :cussing:

2a) Yes, I have added the Output "Folder" to the catalog, but when I select that in the Folders area, it is empty. Nothing shows up unless I add the contents, and then it doesn't stay updated. I couldn't figure out how to configure a smart album to always reflect the contents of a given folder, but I didn't try too hard.

It's entirely possible that I'm just confused and that if I read the right online document, it would all be clear, but I am close to ripping this Catalog of 600 images to shreds and going back to Sessions. :banghead:

Anyone using Catalogs successfully?

Thanks,

Matt
Hi Matt,

1) Yes, there is an issue in some cases. But that has been fixed and the test version I am working with, all works as expected.

2) Sounds like you a very used to Sessions and embrace them. :thumbup:

Remember, using a Catalog is a very different concept. For a Catalog to recognise an image there must be an import process so the database can be updated accordingly. This is why they are not showing up in the Catalog when you simply place them in a folder.

But perhaps in the future there is a way we can think about that easily. I would imagine somebody who has never used the Sessions way of doing things wouldn't find it frustrating, but those of us liking sessions soon learn its a nice way of doing things!

Also consider you can run Sessions and Catalogs side by side. I have successfully imported a completed Session into a Catalog. Maybe that would work for you?

Otherwise, if you like Sessions, stick with that, or perhaps have a Catalog for the Raws only? Final images only? Lots of different ways to do things!

Maybe watch these too..

Catalogs in Depth in Capture One Pro 7 | Phase One - YouTube

Offline Browsing in Capture One Pro 7 | Phase One - YouTube

David

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
David,

I am assuming that the export bug will be fixed soon, so that isn't a long-term concern. And other applications using catalogs (Aperture and Lightroom) also do not automatically show exported images, but they also don't require an extra processed file for printing.

I opened a ticket with Phase One over poor colors when printing and was told by tech support (I can forward you the ticket details) that I could only print reliably from a processed file. In Sessions, this file is visible in the Output folder, so it's not a huge pain - it means a few mouse clicks and possible confusion if I had already processed that same image with a different recipe or settings. With a Catalog, it means finding and importing the processed file, then selecting it and printing it.

I suppose that in a workflow where printing is rare and only done for those 5-star images that go on the gallery wall, it makes sense to require a permanent TIFF for later reproduction, as well as special handling for such printable files. For more casual use, it is mildly irritating.

I am quite happy with the Catalog concept in general. I just have to find the right workflow. I'll have a look at the videos you linked.

Thanks,

Matt

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Been thinking about catalogs for a couple days here. My conclusion for me at least is to stay on the sessions path since its such a big part of my history and file systems. But here is where I see catalogs for me at least be a nice setup. My biggest issue is always finding my final tiffs. What I'm thinking about is setting up a catalog just for that and than I would have far more easier access to them. I could also do several types of catalogs as well. Like all my workshops I have taught be nice to access the files from let's say Yosemite 2 years ago, Moab 4 years ago etc etc. I always struggle to have them all in the same place. I could just import into that catalog as I go.

Been thinking about catalogs for a couple days here. My conclusion for me at least is to stay on the sessions path since its such a big part of my history and file systems. But here is where I see catalogs for me at least be a nice setup. My biggest issue is always finding my final tiffs. What I'm thinking about is setting up a catalog just for that and than I would have far more easier access to them. I could also do several types of catalogs as well. Like all my workshops I have taught be nice to access the files from let's say Yosemite 2 years ago, Moab 4 years ago etc etc. I always struggle to have them all in the same place. I could just import into that catalog as I go.
Thats a good combo Guy.

With some careful keywording / smart album-ing you could have a really sleek searchable catalog in one place.

So every time you wrap up a Session with your final TIFs import them into a Catalog.

You should explore the filters tool to see how many different elements you can search with. Crazy!

D