The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know

jlm

Workshop Member
one hint doug showed us, a feature hidden in C1's obtuse structure:
when creating a new session, if you select "Tethered" under the Type, a Capture folder will be created in the session and when you import your raw files, that is where they go.

cryptically, no need to be actually tethered to do this,

Don Libby

It works.

I picked the worse possible time to upgrade to 7 as I'm knee-deep in reviewing and processing the images from our 8-week trip. I screw up by hitting the catalog button instead of sessions and took time out trying to figure out how to stop 7 from opening automatically if catalog mode.

With that fixed I just spent a little over an hour browsing the various new improvements beginning with the LCC functions. Interesting selections for the lens and movements and found the LCC seems to be slightly faster; haven't tried the vignetting as yet.

All in all spent a couple fast hours kicking the tires and no outward problems. I'm running this on my Dell T7500 dual 6 core 3.47GHz and a paltry 96GB RAM with a NVIDA NVS 450 and dual Dell 30" monitors. I also still have 6 active on my system and got a new license for 7.

Heck of a lot of new stuff to learn and I'll be following this thread with interest. Thanks for all the valuable information so far.

Don

eleanorbrown

How in the world can I get C1-7 to save the printer templates I create and "save"?? nothing gets saved...not the profile, not the size, print size on the paper, nothing. is there a trick to this I haven't found? Thanks, Eleanor

archiM44

How in the world can I get C1-7 to save the printer templates I create and "save"?? nothing gets saved...not the profile, not the size, print size on the paper, nothing. is there a trick to this I haven't found? Thanks, Eleanor
Hi.
I just tried to do it and these were the steps:
1. After Page Setup make the layout you want in the Layout menu
2. Then in the templates menu with "Custom" checked choose "Save User Template"
3. You will get a window where you can type in a name and save it. After that you can find it under "Manage user Templates.
OUCH, the screen shots are too small!
If you wish,I will send larger ones

eleanorbrown

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond...my problem is that I've tried this very thing several times and while the templates show up as "saved", the settings I entered for each one do not show up....I'm wondering what else I could be missing. Eleanor

Hi.
I just tried to do it and these were the steps:
1. After Page Setup make the layout you want in the Layout menu
2. Then in the templates menu with "Custom" checked choose "Save User Template"
3. You will get a window where you can type in a name and save it. After that you can find it under "Manage user Templates.
OUCH, the screen shots are too small!
If you wish,I will send larger ones

archiM44

Eleanor,
Sorry that I didn't say that after that the template you have saved should show up in the dropdown template menu as a user template.

eleanorbrown

Oh yes, all the templates show in the drop down menu just as I'd titled them, but the settings in each template are not correct... I'll work with these again and see if there is anything I've missed. Thanks again! Eleanor
PS edit---Think I just found the problem...I wasn't saving something in the actual "print dialog" box...don't think I'd done this previously, tho I thought I had. Hope this works now!

Eleanor,
Sorry that I didn't say that after that the template you have saved should show up in the dropdown template menu as a user template.

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
I am getting just white for the previews and when I try to edit some of my images. Is there a bug in Capture One regarding this? I have had it crash a few times and I am wondering if it corrupted the files.

I tried deleting the C1 previews and then the images will show on the contact sheet, but if I click on it, the image goes white again.

Robert

archiM44

Hi Rob,

Have you tried disabling OpenCL in the preferences?

D
I also have white previews and views from all the raw images in one of my folders, all from a Leica d-lux5.
I have tried deleting the Capture One file in the folder, and also desabling open CL to no avail.
I have a case (112518) which has not yet given any results except that the uploaded file is being looked at.
LR4, CS6, Raw Developer, Raw Photo Processor, and Silky Pix all have no problem opening and processing the files and they show up fine in Phase One's own Media Pro.
Since I have enough alternatives for processing and they are not essential images, I have resigned myself to accepting this.

lkuhlmann

I also have white previews and views from all the raw images in one of my folders, all from a Leica d-lux5.
I have tried deleting the Capture One file in the folder, and also desabling open CL to no avail.
I have a case (112518) which has not yet given any results except that the uploaded file is being looked at.
LR4, CS6, Raw Developer, Raw Photo Processor, and Silky Pix all have no problem opening and processing the files and they show up fine in Phase One's own Media Pro.
Since I have enough alternatives for processing and they are not essential images, I have resigned myself to accepting this.
C1-7 has a known bug for D-LUX 5. It will be fixed in the next service release - soon to appear.

-Lionel

archiM44

Thank you very much for your reply.
I have had no problems with C1-7 and find the combination with Media PRO excellent.
I have also received the answer from Phase One that the bug in Media PRO which is unable to rebuild thumbnails and views processed in C1-7 will soon be addressed.
Support from Phase One has been more than excellent over many years as I mentioned in one of my recent posts
maurice

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

What do people think is the ideal RAM for Capture 7? The specs say you need 4 GB but I have a feeling the ideal is a great deal more. As I'm about to order a new Mac - probably with 16 GB - I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Bill

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
For photography in general I think 16gb is general the ideal amount of ram be it a 24mpx to 80 mpx sensor. More on MacPro would never hurt you but 16gb as the best you can do for the MBP. I've been using a laptop on all the backs from Phase and my Nikon without too much pain with 16gb. RAM right now is very cheap so go for it. On a MP I would go myself 32gb since more would never hurt you and right now pretty cheap

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks Guy - kinda my thinking! I'm looking to replace my MP so I'll likely pop 32 GB in.

As a matter of interest, how fast is the new MBP with IQ files? My current MPB is pretty slow with 4GB Ram and 2.4 GHz Core Duo. It too will be replaced soon.

Bill

Dan Bellyk

Bill I just picked up the newest MacBook Pro with Retina display, 16 gig of RAM and 512 flash storage. Price was $3000 plus taxes. Last week I also picked up the 27" Thunderbolt display the the two work great together.
I had the 17" mid 2010 with 8 gig of RAM and I notice a big increase in speed developing my D800E files.
Not sure if Apple has any deals this weekend or not as usually they are very limited with Apple.

Dan

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Apologies if this is an RTFM question (I couldn't find the M), but how do you rename a catalogue after it's been created? I think I'm missing something obvious ...

Btw, I tried looking at the tutorial for catalogues on the Phase One tutorial site and it sends me to the C1 7 overview sales pitch video vs the catalogue tutorial. The others seem ok.