The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please post C6 vs C7 comparison here.

Dan Santoso

Hi Guys,

I would like to see people test their old C6 image vs the new C7 engine. The samples that Doug post was pretty good. Let's see what I found with mine.

Just a quick glance to see the details at 100%. Under base characteristic, with C6 & C7 engine.

A bit of improvement in micro contrast & details.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Frits

A first observation concerning the RAW files (DNG) of my Leica M9 is much better skin tones. C6 definitely was strong on the magenta while C7 has a much more natural rendition out of the box.

archivue

That's a huge improvement !

Capture One 6

Capture One 7

Actually, i need to be shure that it's a bug free version before using it...

What about the LCC with Technical camera ?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Has anyone tried comparing older back images such as P25+ or P45+ with CO6 & 7?

I'm away from home at the moment so limited opportunity to do it myself but I'd welcome any findings from others. Also any processing setting differences for best rendering.

Adobe VERY nearly had me changing over now that they have LCC capabilities but I'll get CO7 and see if the differences are as obvious as people have been reporting. Adobe certainly have had the upper hand in shadow/highlight recovery recently vs Capture One. Ditto for me with Nikon Capture NX2 with Nikon files being more 'elastic' than Capture One 6.x.

yatlee

A comparison between PS CS6 and C7 on Sony A99 ISO 800.

Overall, it resolve better, with better dynamic range and also lower noise.

thomas

Has anyone tried comparing older back images such as P25+ or P45+ with CO6 & 7?
the rendering of P45 (non plus) and P21+ files are different in C1-7 compared to C1-6. I would assume the files of all supported cameras are rendered differently as Phase worked on the bayer decoding.
In general I do see finer details and less aliasing artefacts.

I'm away from home at the moment so limited opportunity to do it myself but I'd welcome any findings from others. Also any processing setting differences for best rendering.
I think one setting deserves closer attention: the "Details" silder in the "Noise Reduction Advanced" tab. The setting is always active ... even if you don't apply any NR at all. A higher value will push micro contrast in finest details (although it does not work like "sharpening").
Default value for Details is 50. While a high value might look cool at first glance it may also look a bit harsh when you are enlarging files. I reduced the "Details" preset for my P45 to 35 (aimed at ISO50 without any Lum-NR applied). For my P21+ I've set a default of 60... as this emphasizes the "bold" look of the P21+ files in a pleasant way (without producing artefacts even when enlarging the files later on). Actually it's just a matter taste ... unless you use very high values as these may introduce artefacts.