The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom 4.2, convert to DNG, RAW file disapears

Pemihan

When I choose "Convert to DNG" from the library menu, the image is converted to DNG, and the original RAW file disappears from the Lightroom catalog.
However when I browse the actual image folder the original RAW file is still there???

I would like to keep both the original RAW file and the converted DNG in the Lightroom catalog... How to go about it??

Thanks
Peter

RVB

Did you use the "export to DNG" option in the contextual menu? it should export a DNG to the specified location without any problems...

Pemihan

"create virtual copy" from the contextual menu before you convert the raw to DNG..
It's not possible to convert a virtual copy to DNG. The "Convert to DNG" option in the library menu is greyed out.

Pemihan

Did you use the "export to DNG" option in the contextual menu? it should export a DNG to the specified location without any problems...
No I used the "Convert to DNG" in the library menu.
The "Export to DNG" works fine, but I have to synchronize the folder afterwards in order to have the DNG in the Lightroom library.

It's not a big deal, I can work around it. I just find it peculiar that the original RAW file disappears from the library when I use "Convert to DNG" but remains in the original folder.

RVB

It's not possible to convert a virtual copy to DNG. The "Convert to DNG" option in the library menu is greyed out.
I just tried that again and it does work for me without any issue's,in the screen grab you can see in the top right that its a virtual copy from a net.. I think you always have to re-sync the folder after creating an exported file..

Pemihan

I just tried that again and it does work for me without any issue's,in the screen grab you can see in the top right that its a virtual copy from a net.. I think you always have to re-sync the folder after creating an exported file..
What if you try to use the "Convert to DNG" from the library menu as seen in my screenshot above...

RVB

What if you try to use the "Convert to DNG" from the library menu as seen in my screenshot above...
Yes,if I try to use the library menu to convert the copy then it grey's,but at least you can still use the export to DNG in the contextual menu.. looks like the only solution,either that or create a virtual copy and then use the libraby menu to convert the original...

Rand47

When I choose "Convert to DNG" from the library menu, the image is converted to DNG, and the original RAW file disappears from the Lightroom catalog.
However when I browse the actual image folder the original RAW file is still there???

I would like to keep both the original RAW file and the converted DNG in the Lightroom catalog... How to go about it??

Thanks
Peter
Why not just reimport the original RAW files? Unless, of course, you've already adjusted the files? If that's the case still do a dual import, initially, adjust the RAW or DNG version and synch or copy/paste to the other.

But why have both in catalogue in the first place? Curious as why that is necessary or desireable.

Rand

Last edited: