The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jack. Sharpening baseline for D800

mtomalty

Hi Jack,

Wonder if you might provide what you feel is a good baseline
sharpening/noise reduction setting for a landscape image where
extraction of max fine detail is paramount-assuming base iso
and shutter speeds faster than 1 sec.

I'm looking to move from Canon 5D3's to D800's but have to
move quickly to take advantage of a decent purchase opportunity.

As well, I'm coming from an Adobe Raw workflow and as such am
not as well versed in CapOne 7 as I need to be to assist in the decision

Appreciate anything you've got

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Tomalty Fine Art and Stock Photography

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mark,

My basic starting points in C1-7 are as follows:

D800 ISO 100-400: Sharpening @ 180/0.6/1.0; NR @ 15/35/1; Details @ 35/0; Clarity @ 6; Structure @ -10

D800E ISO 100-400: Sharpening @ 140/0.6/1.0; NR @ 15/35/1; Details @ 35/0; Clarity @ -4; Structure @ -10

I feel these give you a very nice, natural image that can take some additional output sharpening based on final medium.

TIP: Save the above as a style once you get them tweaked to your preference. You can then apply them on import and save a step ;)

Hope this helps!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mine for the D800E vary slightly depending on preference obviously. I actually have backed off my original settings some.

D800E ISO 100-400: Sharpening @ 140/0.6/1.0; NR @ 25/35/1; Details @ 50/0; Clarity @ 0; Structure @ 0. With People the structure goes up to about -25, clarity -10 and sharpening to about 125. Image dependent