The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture 7 vs Aperture - anyone use both?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I used to do most of my B&W conversions with the C1 LE that came with my M8, using a bunch of custom profiles and I loved it. But, when I moved to Fuji bodies and the M9, that was it for C1, sadly.

I've got a pretty large workflow/library investment in Aperture now, so the price of entry into C1P 7 is even higher for me now.
Fuji X-Pro 1? We have rumored on our Facebook page that this will be supported in the next release of C1.

In C1 you would accomplish this by tagging, keywording, or otherwise differentiating them and using filters (preferably by keyboard shortcut).

With this workflow you can easily switch between showing just the b+w, just the color, or both - MUCH faster than LR once you get used to it, though admittedly less obvious/intuitive. This and other advanced organizational techniques are taught in our Capture One Masters Program.
I have followed your advice and found that smart albums created with appropriate filtering criteria will do for me the job.

Dustbak

Maybe a bit OT. I have just started using C1v7 for my Nikon files. C1 is rendering these much nicer than LR!

Is there a best practice when it comes to handling larger amounts of images (around 100K or so)?

I have now placed them into 1 catalogue, referenced towards the actual location of the files. It seems C1 is getting sluggishness doing this so I am wondering if there are better approaches (besides chopping up my archive into more catalogs).

Jim DE

Jono, For what it's worth I just purchased the full version recently as I do like how it works on the a77 and N7 files. I did have one problem arise though when I uploaded a Aperture Master file from my external hard drive to edit some images in Capture One when I was done I could not edit these files in Aperture because Aperture could not find the Masters even though they were still there. Each Master has to be re-paired to allow Aperture to edit once again. I very well may be having a senior moment and of missed a step or two that I should of done but this issue was a PIA for awhile till I figured out how to fix it.

As I said I am very new to C1 Pro7..........:facesmack:

I do really like the individual color controls for my Eagles in flight shots though..... much better than Aperture.Plus I can stay current with the software without buying a new computer every 3-4 years like I have to with Aperture upgrade being linked to OS changes

Jim DE

I know one thing I sure would like to know why this relocating process happened and what I did to cause it.

I store my aperture masters on two different external hard drives so when I wanted to get a picture loaded into C1 Pro7 I accessed one of those files and selected one image from that file to work on. Issue is the whole file of pictures de-located from Aperture accessing them and I had to go back picture by picture (622 of them in that file) relinking them back up with Aperture. Seems when I accessed the file in C1 to pick a picture C1 caused the director access to change.

I went back and remarried my files back up with Aperture but I have not gone back and accessed anymore of them since because the relinking process is a pure PIA. Any ideas as to why this happened and can it be avoided the next time??? Anyone? Good possibility it was caused by a senior moment but I just want to know one way or the other ;)

Jim DE

Jono, you are right..... Running C1 and Aperture as two parallel systems is definitely not the way to go. I have been trying with catalogs or sessions and either way you get Aperture usage issues where either aperture loses the RAW master location for an image or you get a warning that the file is in a unrecognizable format till you click on and off the thumbnail several times.

Not at all like running aperture and DXO or PS or even topaz together.

If you go with C1 you should go all the way..... Or be prepared for some aperture hiccups.

jonoslack

Hi Jim
I think you're right - my crashing experiences with C1 has put the whole project right on to the back burner - Aperture is stable and pretty quick these days, and I like the rendering and colour as well ('honest' rather than 'contrived' IMHO).

I've paid for it, so I can come back and have another look after a few updates.

all the best

Jim DE

Yeah, my C1 Pro7 functions so far flawlessly on it's own but when it uses masters stored by Aperture 3 on my externals when Aperture tries to re-access them that is when the problems start up with either it can't find the master when using catalog in C1 or error messages that Aperture does not support the format when using sessions in C1. Never had any of these issues using ACR/PS/DXO/Aperture/Topaz interchangeably between each other with these masters. Obviously C1 is writing some code that hinders the access of ARW files by the other softwares. They need to fix this as like others have stated finding people to completely abandon the softwares they currently use to go all in with C! or any single software system for that matter will be a really tough pill to swallow for most.

I do really like the results and adjustability of C1 (though their AUTO exposure tab is pretty aggressive with ARW files but I rarely use auto anything) even better than Aperture and DXO but I am not willing as of yet to go all in with C1 and abandon my other softwares. I will continue to use Aperture as my import/export/storage software and take "special shots" and keep learning the C1 software with "copies" of my ARW files but I won't use C1 to direct access my stored ARW files directly from my externals. I have lived and learned my lessons doing that and am hesitant to try it again (some how on one external I actually lost access to 100 masters and have yet to find them ..... think they are in limbo .... luckily I had another external that has them).

Anyway Jono, thought I would give you the heads up I have been dealing with trying to run both.

Jim DE

jono, I just uploaded the new version of C1 Pro7 and in the recent test I just did I did not seem to have the same access issues I spoke about earlier with Aperture stored RAW's. I will test more later but the files I used was from a project with 2 images in it and both seem to of gone through the process OK.

Dougpeterson or David Grover is this one of the items addressed with the new Pro7 version or was I just lucky? By the way I really do like what C1Pro7 does with my a77 ARW files. Way better than Aperture alone....