Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Capture 7 vs Aperture - anyone use both?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Capture 7 vs Aperture - anyone use both?

Hi There
    I notice the new Catalog feature in C1-7 - it seems that it might work rather like the DAM in Aperture (which I like so much).

Before wasting another 3 months trying out C1, I was wondering if anyone around here used both?

If so, how does the new Catalog feature work - is it possible to store versions etc. without having to create an output batch?

Currently not interested particularly in image quality comparisons - I'd rather look at that for myself, but not if the logistics is a no go!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Capture 7 vs Aperture - anyone use both?

Jono, CO7 as a DAM has not (yet?) all the features Aperture has but, yes you can store variants inside the catalog without any need to output them as jpeg or TIFF, any editing is simply stored as metadata inside the catalog (which can be either managed or referenced, same as Aperture).

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono,

Variants (as we call versions) are a great feature in Capture One. You can learn more about them here...

Variants in Capture One Pro 7 | Phase One - YouTube

David
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

Post Thanks / Like
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

I use Aperture and C1v7. 30,000 photos in my Aperture Library, and about 1,000 in C1v7 - both catalogs and sessions. I *think* I will move over to C1 for cataloging, but some bugs in 7.0 (now fixed) left me a bit shy. As it stands now, anything I shoot with the Phase back goes straight into C1. iPhone pics go to Aperture, and the poor OM-D gets randomly assigned to either depending on how I'm feeling that day.

Printing is still better (for me) from LR, but I haven't really tried to print from C1v7 yet. The processing from C1v7 is stunningly good. Aperture has a lot of catching up to do!

Best,

Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Matt, David, Ario
    Thank you for coming back on this one. I can see that I ought to have a look - I'll also check my upgrade status (I've certainly owned it in the past, but I'm not sure which version!.
    All the best
    Jono

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Phase One View Post
    Hi Jono,

Variants (as we call versions) are a great feature in Capture One. You can learn more about them here...

Variants in Capture One Pro 7 | Phase One - YouTube

David
    David, I would like to store different variants into different collections but when I place a variant into a specific album all the other variants of the same image follow. Typically I have one or more color variants and one or more B&W variants of the same image which I would like to keep in separate collections.
    Is there any way to do that?
    Last edited by Ario Arioldi; 14th December 2012 at 20:31.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just about to ask a very similar question and see that Jono has asked it!

I'm facing a real dilemma, which is that I've been using Lightroom for a while now and feel like I have a pretty good handle on it, yet with very little doubt I can see that my C1 Pro trial is giving me better results than Lightroom. I don't want to change everything up, but it's the results which count!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    I was just about to ask a very similar question and see that Jono has asked it!

I'm facing a real dilemma, which is that I've been using Lightroom for a while now and feel like I have a pretty good handle on it, yet with very little doubt I can see that my C1 Pro trial is giving me better results than Lightroom. I don't want to change everything up, but it's the results which count!
    Wouldn't it be nice if you could continue to use LR as your DAM and use C1 7 to process images in your LR Catalog without being forced to use C1 7 in Catalog or Sessions mode? There are many of us who would gladly pay for C1 7 if it provided a third mode of usage where you just point to a raw file in your existing folder structure and process the image using the C1 7 processing engine and tools. Why does Phase refuse to offer that? How complicated can it be to offer it? Phase really needs to develop a seamless way to integrate C1 into LR. The world of digital imaging is no longer made up primarily of Digital Techs.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if you could continue to use LR as your DAM and use C1 7 to process images in your LR Catalog without being forced to use C1 7 in Catalog or Sessions mode? There are many of us who would gladly pay for C1 7 if it provided a third mode of usage where you just point to a raw file in your existing folder structure and process the image using the C1 7 processing engine and tools. Why does Phase refuse to offer that? How complicated can it be to offer it? Phase really needs to develop a seamless way to integrate C1 into LR. The world of digital imaging is no longer made up primarily of Digital Techs.
    You can.

1. Start a session, call it "I-hate-sessions"
    2. Set your default process recipe to process the images to the "image folder"
    3. Browse freely, process freely
    4. Every few months delete that session and start a new one with a similar (but different) name.

Or use C1 cataloging and drop LR.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

>that my C1 Pro trial is giving me better results than Lightroom. I don't want to change everything up, but it's the results which count!

My main organizer is LR. If I feel that C1 is doing a better job I use C1, save to TIFF/JPEG and import to LR. Then do the rest in LR. No problem for me.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    You can.

1. Start a session, call it "I-hate-sessions"
    2. Set your default process recipe to process the images to the "image folder"
    3. Browse freely, process freely
    4. Every few months delete that session and start a new one with a similar (but different) name.

Or use C1 cataloging and drop LR.
    When I start a new Session, the Import dialogue box pops up and there is no way to import the files in an existing Folder into the Session without creating a new Folder and importing all of the same images into that new Folder. What am I missing? Why can't I just point to a file in my existing Folders of images that I want to want to work on and just work on it in C1 and then output it as a TIFF to the same Folder where my raw files are stored?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why can't I just point to a file in my existing Folders of images that I want to want to work on and just work on it in C1 and then output it as a TIFF to the same Folder where my raw files are stored?
    you can. As the respective captures are already in a folder on your system you don't have to "import" them into your session (this would create copies of the actual RAW files)*. So you don't need the import tool. Close it, simply click on Capture One's Library tool tab and browse your respective folder in the System Folders tab (where all your drives and folders should appear in a list similar to Mac's "Finder" or Windows' "Explorer").

You can (but you don't have to) make the selected folder a session favorite (right click on the folder->select "add to favorites"). The folder will then appear in C1's Library in the Session Favorites tab (so you don't have to spot the folder again when you re-open the session).

* when you are working with a catalog the import tool behaves a bit different as in a session: here you can use the import tool and select ""current location" in the "import to" tab. If you do so the catalog will work with referenced captures.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks everyone - Amin, Ario - it seems like some of us would contemplate a move, as long as it didn't have too much impact on workflow

Use - processing in C1 and importing to LR/Aperture is feasible, but much too long winded for anything more than a small session (for me at least). I'd much rather work within one program.

Doug / Thomas - thanks for the helpful suggestions. I can see I'm going to have to spend some more time with catalog - my demands aren't huge . . . but I don't want to be stepping backwards either.

Can you setup Capture one to shell out to Silver efex pro2 (for instance) from within the catalogue?

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug, David, and anyone else affiliated with Capture One, please hear my plea: make it work with the Monochrom! pretty please with a cherry on top?
    my flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    you can. As the respective captures are already in a folder on your system you don't have to "import" them into your session (this would create copies of the actual RAW files)*. So you don't need the import tool. Close it, simply click on Capture One's Library tool tab and browse your respective folder in the System Folders tab (where all your drives and folders should appear in a list similar to Mac's "Finder" or Windows' "Explorer").

You can (but you don't have to) make the selected folder a session favorite (right click on the folder->select "add to favorites"). The folder will then appear in C1's Library in the Session Favorites tab (so you don't have to spot the folder again when you re-open the session).

* when you are working with a catalog the import tool behaves a bit different as in a session: here you can use the import tool and select ""current location" in the "import to" tab. If you do so the catalog will work with referenced captures.
    Thanks for the responses. Two remaining questions. First, if changes are made to a file that is in a Folder referenced in LR but the image has NOT been imported into the Session Folder created, what happens to those changes? If you are finished with the C1 processing, you can output the file as a TIFF from C1. LR will not, however, be aware of it, right? What happens to the C1 changes if you are not done in C1 but you want to close out of C1?
    Second, how can I keep track in my DAM (ie, LR)of which images I have worked on in C1. I guess if I output it as a TIFF to the original Folder in LR where the image resides, I can title the file in a way that identifies it as a file that went through C1 fro raw processing. With a file that not been finished and exported as a TIFF, I am unsure of how to flag that in LR. A loud alarm going off in LR would work I suppose!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Can you setup Capture one to shell out to Silver efex pro2 (for instance) from within the catalogue?

all the best
    Let me second that, especially for Aperture, since that's what I currently use, along with Silver Efex Pro 2 and PS as editing plug-ins.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Jono I am seriously considering the idea to move everything to CO7 but still the are many functions I have with LR 4 and Aperture which are missing in CO7 or not yet implemented in the way I would like to see: a few among others are the possibility to export to photo publishing services such as SmugSmug or Flickr directly from the catalog, printing directly from the catalog, round trip from the catalog to external editors, freedom to save different versions in different albums.
    So for the time being I am running CO7 in parallel with LR4 waiting to see how Capture One will evolve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Let me second that, especially for Aperture, since that's what I currently use, along with Silver Efex Pro 2 and PS as editing plug-ins.
    Have you tried producing B/W from Capture One Pro 7?
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    Yes Jono I am seriously considering the idea to move everything to CO7 but still the are many functions I have with LR 4 and Aperture which are missing in CO7 or not yet implemented in the way I would like to see: a few among others are the possibility to export to photo publishing services such as SmugSmug or Flickr directly from the catalog, printing directly from the catalog, round trip from the catalog to external editors, freedom to save different versions in different albums.
    So for the time being I am running CO7 in parallel with LR4 waiting to see how Capture One will evolve.
    Regarding different versions in different albums...

Have you explored variants in Capture One, for starters?
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. Two remaining questions. First, if changes are made to a file that is in a Folder referenced in LR but the image has NOT been imported into the Session Folder created, what happens to those changes? If you are finished with the C1 processing, you can output the file as a TIFF from C1. LR will not, however, be aware of it, right? What happens to the C1 changes if you are not done in C1 but you want to close out of C1?
    Second, how can I keep track in my DAM (ie, LR)of which images I have worked on in C1. I guess if I output it as a TIFF to the original Folder in LR where the image resides, I can title the file in a way that identifies it as a file that went through C1 fro raw processing. With a file that not been finished and exported as a TIFF, I am unsure of how to flag that in LR. A loud alarm going off in LR would work I suppose!
    Ill let the LR experts answer your specific question.

You could always add a keyword to the file "C1_Processing" as an example.

To be honest, you would find it easier to work solely in Capture One - but I would say that.

The reason we don't necessarily offer a simple 'file browser' option is that with large image files, the performance would be pretty painful as we would have to read the image file, create a thumbnail.. etc etc. This is why the catalog is smart as it contains this information in the database - created on import.
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To be honest, you would find it easier to work solely in Capture One - but I would say that.

The reason we don't necessarily offer a simple 'file browser' option is that with large image files, the performance would be pretty painful as we would have to read the image file, create a thumbnail.. etc etc. This is why the catalog is smart as it contains this information in the database - created on import.
    HI David
    no way I'm going to use more than one program - If I use C1, then that's what I'll use . . . . except for some black and white conversions where Silver efex pro does such a good job.

The crucial issue with C1 7 is whether the combined variants / catalog model can do the business as well as Aperture - of course, the problem is that it takes a long time to learn these programs properly, so, quite naturally, people become partisan.

Right now I want to remove all input sharpening and noise reduction for the camera I'm using . . . and use the native DNG curve . . . I can work out how to do it, and can even like the results, but I'm damned if I can find a way of saving as a default input for the camera, so that next time I import that's what's used - I'm sure it's easy . . . . but I can't work it out!

With Aperture, if you want to use Silver efex pro, you can right click on an image and choose 'edit with'. Aperture then creates a 16 bit tiff file in the same location as the original RAW (either from the original file or with the catalog adjusments applied - stores it in the catalog as a new variant and opens it in Silver efex pro - which makes changes in the tiff file - these will then be reflected in the variant in Aperture when you return - You can shell out to any other program which will modify a .tiff file in the same way.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding different versions in different albums...

Have you explored variants in Capture One, for starters?
    Yes David, may be I am missing something, but what I would like to do and I am not able to, is for instance to place all the B&W variants of a pic in a dedicated album and all the color variants in a different one. Now when I place a variant in one album all the variants of that pic go toghether.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As far as I can see, the changes are saved in the catalog (which is why I'm interested again). So if you haven't output to tiff then they certainly won't be reflected in LR, but they won't be lost either
    You just need to import from the folder again in LR - and pickup those images not already there - they shouldn't get muddled up as they have a different file extension.

Still - I think David is right - If you're going to use C1, then it ought to be one's primary tool - My problem (and your's too I guess) is that after years of experience in LF (Aperture in my case) it's very difficult to evaluate another program to see if it will do the job.

Just this guy you know

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes David, may be I am missing something, but what I would like to do and I am not able to, is for instance to place all the B&W variants of a pic in a dedicated album and all the color variants in a different one. Now when I place a variant in one album all the variants of that pic go toghether.
    In C1 you would accomplish this by tagging, keywording, or otherwise differentiating them and using filters (preferably by keyboard shortcut).

With this workflow you can easily switch between showing just the b+w, just the color, or both - MUCH faster than LR once you get used to it, though admittedly less obvious/intuitive. This and other advanced organizational techniques are taught in our Capture One Masters Program.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Right now I want to remove all input sharpening and noise reduction for the camera I'm using . . . and use the native DNG curve . . . I can work out how to do it, and can even like the results, but I'm damned if I can find a way of saving as a default input for the camera, so that next time I import that's what's used - I'm sure it's easy . . . . but I can't work it out!
    That's a "style" in C1 which you can apply to images as you import, en masse after imported, or upon capturing an image tethered.

You can stack styles (where meaningful), preview their effect by hovering over it, and organize them into subfolders to keep yourself sane.

With Aperture, if you want to use Silver efex pro, you can right click on an image and choose 'edit with'. Aperture then creates a 16 bit tiff file in the same location as the original RAW (either from the original file or with the catalog adjusments applied - stores it in the catalog as a new variant and opens it in Silver efex pro - which makes changes in the tiff file - these will then be reflected in the variant in Aperture when you return - You can shell out to any other program which will modify a .tiff file in the same way.
    C1 can do the first half of that round trip using a process recipe with the appropriate settings ("image folder" and "open with").

The second half will take 2 more clicks as you'll need to select the TIFF in C1 and select "regenerate preview" - preferably using a custom shortcut to make it one less mouse click. A true and automatic round trip would be nice and may be the sort of feature you see added in time.

Post Thanks / Like

In C1 you would accomplish this by tagging, keywording, or otherwise differentiating them and using filters (preferably by keyboard shortcut).

With this workflow you can easily switch between showing just the b+w, just the color, or both - MUCH faster than LR once you get used to it, though admittedly less obvious/intuitive. This and other advanced organizational techniques are taught in our Capture One Masters Program.
    Thx, I will try this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In previous versions of C1, you can save your own user presets under most menus (including ICC Profile). It's located in the three bars, just to the left of the upside down triangle (farthest on the right). You can then Save that preset and use it as your default.

(Apologies if that sounds alien in the new interface, but I've used this method for quite a few years now and it hasn't changed. A little fiddly initially, but seamless thereafter.)

Post Thanks / Like

For years I have used John Beardsworth's Lightroom plugin called "Open Directly"
    This will send the original RAW file directly from the LR Library to any other program that can recognize that RAW file, in my case my developer of choice Capture One. But just as easily to any other program including Aperture.
    There are many ways to get the processed TIFF back into LR (export to watched folder, or import from output folder etc.)
    Plug-ins – Lightroom Solutions – John Beardsworth

The advantage over the use of the Capture One catalog is that this allows me to use any developer, in my case for RAW files not supported by Capture One and send them to the appropriate program.
    I have now started using Media Pro which also allows the use of many developers.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried producing B/W from Capture One Pro 7?
    I used to do most of my B&W conversions with the C1 LE that came with my M8, using a bunch of custom profiles and I loved it. But, when I moved to Fuji bodies and the M9, that was it for C1, sadly.

I've got a pretty large workflow/library investment in Aperture now, so the price of entry into C1P 7 is even higher for me now.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used to do most of my B&W conversions with the C1 LE that came with my M8, using a bunch of custom profiles and I loved it. But, when I moved to Fuji bodies and the M9, that was it for C1, sadly.

I've got a pretty large workflow/library investment in Aperture now, so the price of entry into C1P 7 is even higher for me now.
    Hi Maggie - of course you're right - first of all there's the investment of time in learning whether it does the job - then an even bigger one converting to C1 (more than 50,000 images in my case). It's not something to be taken lightly!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archiM44 View Post
    For years I have used John Beardsworth's Lightroom plugin called "Open Directly"
    This will send the original RAW file directly from the LR Library to any other program that can recognize that RAW file, in my case my developer of choice Capture One. But just as easily to any other program including Aperture.
    There are many ways to get the processed TIFF back into LR (export to watched folder, or import from output folder etc.)
    Plug-ins Lightroom Solutions John Beardsworth

The advantage over the use of the Capture One catalog is that this allows me to use any developer, in my case for RAW files not supported by Capture One and send them to the appropriate program.
    I have now started using Media Pro which also allows the use of many developers.
    How can the Open Directly Plug-In work with C1 7 which requires a Session? C1 7 no longer allows you to just tell it to import an image and leave it in its original location.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

C1 7 no longer allows you to just tell it to import an image and leave it in its original location.
    I don't think that's so, Howard. I keep all my files in Mac's Finder so they can be referenced in C1 7 or any other program. I can - and do - import images while leaving the original file in Finder.

Perhaps I don't understand your statement properly...

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How can the Open Directly Plug-In work with C1 7 which requires a Session? C1 7 no longer allows you to just tell it to import an image and leave it in its original location.
    I don't understand why it is so complicated to create sessions ... or at least one single session. There are many softwares that require to create "something" to start with ... be it a "project" (for instance in video editing softwares) or be it a "catalog" (for instance in Lightroom) or whatever. In Capture One you have to create a "session" ... or alternatively a "catalog" since Version 7. To be more precise: you don't even have to create a session yourself as C1 will create one by default.

Capture One will of course allow you to open image files directly. Right click on any (supported) image file on your system, select "open with" and select "Capture One". C1 will then start the most recent session you have been working in and will open the selected image. In the Library C1 will point you to the folder the respective images resides in (in the "System Folders" tab... the folder in question will be highlighted. If you want to, assign this folder as a session "favorite"... see above). The very same will happen when other applictions send images to C1 (basically they use the "open with" command).
    To make things a bit easier I would recommend to first launch C1, open the session you want have your respective images in and first then start to send image to C1 through other applications. Basically it doesn't make a difference ... but this way you can be sure the images will be sent into the correct session.
    Last edited by thomas; 17th December 2012 at 20:04.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the short answer seems to be that Open Directly no longer opens an image in LR directly in C1 7 when you use the plug-in. It opens C1, but the image that I highlighted in LR does not appear. All I get is an Import dialogue box with no image in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    I don't think that's so, Howard. I keep all my files in Mac's Finder so they can be referenced in C1 7 or any other program. I can - and do - import images while leaving the original file in Finder.

Perhaps I don't understand your statement properly...

Bill
    Bill, that was true with C1 6, but It appears that C1 7 will not allow you to work on a raw file without creating a Session or a Catalog, or at least I have not been able to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Works for me from LR4 to C1-7. Opens the C1 default session, opens the whole folder and highlights the chosen image.
    I don't import images into he default session (Capture One session) so that might be the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx, I will try this.
    Yep, I second Doug's suggestion.

You could always colour tag your BW images as 'Yellow' for example then it would be easy to show them all with one click.
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is not correct. You are using the word "import" where no such facility is required in Capture One when using sessions. In a session you can simply navigate anywhere on your hard drive. There are many reasons why you would not want to do this, and instead conform to a proper session-based organization and workflow whereby when working with a given session you only work with images related to and held in that session (and making your LR catalog draw off of that session-based organization on your HD). However, if you want to, there is nothing* that stops you from viewing/adjusting/processing-from any folder local or remote.

My guess is you are accidentally working in C1v7 as a "catalog".

Simply start a new session, name it anything, put it anywhere, and pretend it doesn't exist and C1v7 will behave exactly like C1v6.

*Over the course of a few hundred hours of use your default/hidden/ignored "session" will eventually slow in performance if you use it to navigate to random folders on a regular basis, since there is some caching going on when you do this. The solution takes about 5 seconds - simply start a new session and continue on your merry way. Since all adjustments are held in sidecar folders wherever the raw file is, starting a new session won't do anything that interferes with your workflow.

Forgive me because I can't remember. Have you ever attended one of my Capture One workshops, classes, or webinars?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by archiM44 View Post
    Works for me from LR4 to C1-7. Opens the C1 default session, opens the whole folder and highlights the chosen image.
    I don't import images into he default session (Capture One session) so that might be the problem.
    No "importation" is required.

A session creates some folders (Capture/Output/Trash) which it is suggesting/encouraging you to use. But you are not, in any way, required to only use these folders. You can merrily tell it to work on raw files in any folder you want, and process your JPG/TIFFs to any folder you want.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fuji X-Pro 1? We have rumored on our Facebook page that this will be supported in the next release of C1.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuji X-Pro 1? We have rumored on our Facebook page that this will be supported in the next release of C1.
    X100 and X10, actually.

I skipped getting the X-Pro 1 due to lack of support in anything but Lightroom, which I don't care for at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I have followed your advice and found that smart albums created with appropriate filtering criteria will do for me the job.

Post Thanks / Like

I have followed your advice and found that smart albums created with appropriate filtering criteria will do for me the job.
    Great!
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a bit OT. I have just started using C1v7 for my Nikon files. C1 is rendering these much nicer than LR!

Is there a best practice when it comes to handling larger amounts of images (around 100K or so)?

I have now placed them into 1 catalogue, referenced towards the actual location of the files. It seems C1 is getting sluggishness doing this so I am wondering if there are better approaches (besides chopping up my archive into more catalogs).

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, For what it's worth I just purchased the full version recently as I do like how it works on the a77 and N7 files. I did have one problem arise though when I uploaded a Aperture Master file from my external hard drive to edit some images in Capture One when I was done I could not edit these files in Aperture because Aperture could not find the Masters even though they were still there. Each Master has to be re-paired to allow Aperture to edit once again. I very well may be having a senior moment and of missed a step or two that I should of done but this issue was a PIA for awhile till I figured out how to fix it.

As I said I am very new to C1 Pro7..........

I do really like the individual color controls for my Eagles in flight shots though..... much better than Aperture.Plus I can stay current with the software without buying a new computer every 3-4 years like I have to with Aperture upgrade being linked to OS changes

Post Thanks / Like

I know one thing I sure would like to know why this relocating process happened and what I did to cause it.

I store my aperture masters on two different external hard drives so when I wanted to get a picture loaded into C1 Pro7 I accessed one of those files and selected one image from that file to work on. Issue is the whole file of pictures de-located from Aperture accessing them and I had to go back picture by picture (622 of them in that file) relinking them back up with Aperture. Seems when I accessed the file in C1 to pick a picture C1 caused the director access to change.

I went back and remarried my files back up with Aperture but I have not gone back and accessed anymore of them since because the relinking process is a pure PIA. Any ideas as to why this happened and can it be avoided the next time??? Anyone? Good possibility it was caused by a senior moment but I just want to know one way or the other

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, you are right..... Running C1 and Aperture as two parallel systems is definitely not the way to go. I have been trying with catalogs or sessions and either way you get Aperture usage issues where either aperture loses the RAW master location for an image or you get a warning that the file is in a unrecognizable format till you click on and off the thumbnail several times.

Not at all like running aperture and DXO or PS or even topaz together.

If you go with C1 you should go all the way..... Or be prepared for some aperture hiccups.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jim
    I think you're right - my crashing experiences with C1 has put the whole project right on to the back burner - Aperture is stable and pretty quick these days, and I like the rendering and colour as well ('honest' rather than 'contrived' IMHO).

I've paid for it, so I can come back and have another look after a few updates.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, my C1 Pro7 functions so far flawlessly on it's own but when it uses masters stored by Aperture 3 on my externals when Aperture tries to re-access them that is when the problems start up with either it can't find the master when using catalog in C1 or error messages that Aperture does not support the format when using sessions in C1. Never had any of these issues using ACR/PS/DXO/Aperture/Topaz interchangeably between each other with these masters. Obviously C1 is writing some code that hinders the access of ARW files by the other softwares. They need to fix this as like others have stated finding people to completely abandon the softwares they currently use to go all in with C! or any single software system for that matter will be a really tough pill to swallow for most.

I do really like the results and adjustability of C1 (though their AUTO exposure tab is pretty aggressive with ARW files but I rarely use auto anything) even better than Aperture and DXO but I am not willing as of yet to go all in with C1 and abandon my other softwares. I will continue to use Aperture as my import/export/storage software and take "special shots" and keep learning the C1 software with "copies" of my ARW files but I won't use C1 to direct access my stored ARW files directly from my externals. I have lived and learned my lessons doing that and am hesitant to try it again (some how on one external I actually lost access to 100 masters and have yet to find them ..... think they are in limbo .... luckily I had another external that has them).

Anyway Jono, thought I would give you the heads up I have been dealing with trying to run both.