The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What RAW processor for Leica Monochrom?

cam

Is Lightroom really the only one?

(i've been using C1 for years, but no one wants to answer me about whether or not there are plans in the pipeline to support the Monochrom... hate being constrained to only one option, Lightroom :eek:)

wattsie

I got a watch this space Andrew back from Phase One to the question of Monochrom support. Here's hoping its not too far away.

wattsie

I got a watch this space answer back from Phase One to the question of Monochrom support. Here's hoping its not too far away.

iiiNelson

As far as I know Lightroom is the only native "option." I started brushing up on my Lightroom skills in preparation for an impending MM purchase. I've been using Aperture almost exclusively since Summer 2010 because Adobe took forever to release Lightroom 3. When they did it was lacking quite a few features I had gotten used to in Aperture. All in all the switch back to Lightroom isn't too difficult as I was a exclusive Lightroom 2 user prior to "trying" Aperture 3.

Ironically it was at the Leica Roadshow in 2010 that convinced me to switch from Adobe as there were quite a few Apple Aperture users and engineers at the event held in San Francisco. It didn't help that they let me buy a full version from one of the sponsors for half off a boxed copy. Hopefully all the majors will support the MM though. It would suck to have to move everything and then get used to a completely new processing method. Believe me I tried Capture One with version 4 and it just didn't mesh with my brain. I loved the results but I abhorred the "trial and error" methods I used because of lack of familiarity and how long it took me to achieve them.

cam

i have always been a shoebox type of girl for maintaining my photos and it has finally overwhelmed me when trying to find a photo, hence i was using this as an excuse to finally sort out all my images with keywords, etc... almost everyone i know uses Aperture and was going to go that route, but the lack of Monochrom support forced me into Lightroom. still not sure i like it as a photo management system at all.

in the meanwhile, i still prefer to use the RAW processor that gives me the best image processing on any given camera. C1 was it for the Leicas, Aperture for my Ricohs, etc... i've only ever processed individual images and then took them into CS3 as i'm addicted to layers.

i would honestly be ecstatic if there was support across the line for the camera so that everyone can choose their particular preference! the camera is too good to be boxed into a corner, nor should one be forced to changed their workflows and library of years because of it (i don't have that issue, yet, but i commiserate with those that do. what a pita!)

Is Lightroom really the only one?
certainly not... RPP has an option to work with raw files w/o demosaicking, you just need to start the instance w/ a proper key :

/Applications/Raw Photo Processor 64.app/Contents/MacOS/Raw Photo Processor 64 -NoCFA YES

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Yes under SETTINGS in RPP select SETTINGS SELECTOR....in the popup window unselect COLOR FILTER.

Thanks.

Bob

jonoslack

I feel you're pain - However, I'm still pretty certain that Apple will support the Monochrom in the reasonably near future.
I spent 7 months with Lighroom because of this, and rather expected that I'd just go with it . .. but it's such a relief to be back using Aperture again.

I have been trying C17 (gave up on 4, 5 and 6 because I really want the DAM features). The Catalog in C1.7 might be it . . . but after going nicely for a week or two my copy just crashes over and over again - Life is too short!

all the best

docmoore

Here is a quick conversion in RPP with a slight warm tint in the RPP workflow...filmcurve, not linear, to 16 bit LAB.

Out of LAB to RGB slight curve and very minor capture sharpening.

Leica Monochrom and 35 Summicron Asph

Bob

Last edited:

docmoore

Another Thread?

Bob
Jono,

My apologies I thought this was from the C1 for Fuji thread...went back and found his comment above...Mea Culpa Maxima.

And no this is a great thread to cover any raw processor...as there are so few at this point in time.

Bob

docmoore

Here are a couple more with RPP conversion:

Leica Monochrom and 75 Summarit

Bull and Tree

Lake and Old Trees

Bob

iiiNelson

Did you consider doing formal training on capture one instead of banging your head against the wall solo?
Yes I considered it but Lightroom 2 and later Aperture 3 just made sense to me right off the bat so I just removed all things Capture One from my computer. Again it's not that I don't think that it's horrible but I was not willing to make the time to learn Capture One extensively. Photography is a hobby for me and as a hobby it should be fun. Sitting in a classroom, online or otherwise, was not how I wanted to spend my free time after working 40-60 hours a week.

I would be willing to give the newer versions of Capture One a try but again they would have to support ALL of the cameras I own and quickly support the cameras I'm considering. That's why I originally went with Lightroom 2 over Aperture 2. Apple seems to be serious with camera support in Aperture 3 for the most part but with Leica being "in bed" with Adobe these days I'm willing to switch back to Lightroom and export old Aperture images as needed.

iiiNelson

i have always been a shoebox type of girl for maintaining my photos and it has finally overwhelmed me when trying to find a photo, hence i was using this as an excuse to finally sort out all my images with keywords, etc... almost everyone i know uses Aperture and was going to go that route, but the lack of Monochrom support forced me into Lightroom. still not sure i like it as a photo management system at all.

in the meanwhile, i still prefer to use the RAW processor that gives me the best image processing on any given camera. C1 was it for the Leicas, Aperture for my Ricohs, etc... i've only ever processed individual images and then took them into CS3 as i'm addicted to layers.

i would honestly be ecstatic if there was support across the line for the camera so that everyone can choose their particular preference! the camera is too good to be boxed into a corner, nor should one be forced to changed their workflows and library of years because of it (i don't have that issue, yet, but i commiserate with those that do. what a pita!)
I feel your pain and there were a few things from Aperture that I've gotten used to that are "hidden" or moved around in Lightroom. As for the front in I have my Lightroom catalogs set up pretty much the same as they were in Aperture and even moved all of my DNG's from the M9 over. There's a few help guides/ articles I found useful if you Google "Moving from Aperture to Lightroom."

cam

thank you all!

and thanks to those of you for giving me a heads-up on RPP. i've heard about it before but not looked into it. (didn't really want to learn another program, but i've only heard good things about the output.

for the moment, i'm just going to try and coral all my images onto a 3TB drive i bought, ready for import whatever program i go with... i'll allow a few weeks to see if Aperture comes out with anything, the same with C1.

i'm not really fussed with having to process the images in the same program i catalogue them in, just want to be able to at least SEE them. hopefully, there will be more options before i make the final decision.

in the meanwhile, i really only have one image that i really want to work on (need to get out more, lol). the rest are just test images, pushing the parameters of the camera, and falling more in love with it each day!

there's something lovely about being able to say, "ignore me. i have a new camera that i'm testing" as you shoot a tonne of pics of someone... i'm wondering how many months i can get away with that :ROTFL:

jonoslack

there's something lovely about being able to say, "ignore me. i have a new camera that i'm testing" as you shoot a tonne of pics of someone... i'm wondering how many months i can get away with that :ROTFL:
Now there's a good strategy - I shall use it immediately!:ROTFL: