Site Sponsors

Thread: CS4 Upgraded Graphics Card note

Post Thanks / Like

CS4 Upgraded Graphics Card note

Hi All:
    I recently upgraded my graphics card on my MacPro to take advantage of the GPU features in CS4. I bought a ATI HD 3870 (mac & pc edition). I quickly noticed that there was a color mismatch between C1 4 and CS 4. Colors in CS4 were flatter and less saturated. I found in the Preferences/Performance/GPU Setting/Advanced there is a check box for Color Matching that needs to be checked. The best way to see if everything is correct is to launch the same file in CS3 and CS4 at the same time and compare colors. CS3 does not use the GPU. I wasted a bunch of time on this so I thought I'd try to save someone else's time.
    Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: CS4 Upgraded Graphics Card note

Thanks for the update Jeff! Mine was checked by default...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does using the GPU make CS4 draw any quicker?

I tired the CS4 demo earlier in the week and the GPU drawing looked like it was slower. As I zoomed in and out it seemed to pause to render, while with CS3, the resizes are instantaneous.

Is there any point to the GPU if you are not doing 3d or vector, but just normal photos?

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Robert:

I saw a demo in NY of CS4 and it quite quick redrawing, zooming, panning, etc. The new card helps but it's not super fast as I'd like it to be. I'll see if it's worth it over the next 10 days before my return windows closes.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting I have a ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT which is standard on the mac pro and it is 126mg of Vram and a couple times opening several larger files i ran into a warning and Jack confirmed he has as well that we exceeded the open GL. What I am really wondering here is if a 256 Vram card would actually be better and faster. Now this Open Gl is all about redraw, zooming and such and so far it does a nice job but wondering if I did bump it up to a 256 card this would actually improve the redraw and zooming performance and let me open more files without that warning. This seems like a great question for Adobe and not sure if anyone has posed this but certainly worth investigating. Jeff you may hold the answer with your new card
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, my card's VRAM is 256, not 128...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I figured out what I had wrong. In the use GPU, I needed to select advance options and select "use for image display."

It is now much quicker in zooming and unless I pan really fast at 100%, there is no delay to redraw the image.

I am using a Macbook Pro attached to a 24" cinema display. The notebooks has aGeForce 8600M GT with 256mb of video ram.

Robert

tetsrfun

I had to upgrade from the 2600 XT to a 3870 because Phocus uses the GC and with the 2600 the software was too slow to be useable. Apple now offers the 8800 GT for the first gen Mac Pro.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Guy, my card's VRAM is 256, not 128...
    Damn. I thought we had the same
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So for the first gen. Mac Pro the 8800GT which i have a first gen 2.66 dual core

Post Thanks / Like

The card I have is a 512 card, pretty quick but not perfect. There's still a delay in redrawing to full-res at 100%.

The 8800 card has 2 versions, one for 1st gen MacPro and one for 2nd gen. I decided against this card for my 1st gen since it will be unusable in any new machine whereas the HD 3870 may well work in a new gen MacPro.

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    So for the first gen. Mac Pro the 8800GT which i have a first gen 2.66 dual core
    I just upgraded to CS4 on 1st gen + HD3870. Initial impression is CS4 runs much faster than CS3 on same the system. Due to it's utilization of the GC?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Steve

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Thanks Steve
    The 8800 GT should be the same or better for performance. When I upgraded, it wasn't an option.

Steve