Site Sponsors

Thread: Blacks & Shadows: Capture One Versus LR

Post Thanks / Like

Blacks & Shadows: Capture One Versus LR

I know that C1 is mainly for developing RAWs but sometimes I may want to process JPEGs or TIFFs exported from other applications.

With LR, I have the ability to move the Blacks and Shadows sliders to the left to alter the tone curve of such images. With C1 the Shadow slider is already at the far left so cannot be used to darken blacks and shadows. I guess I need to use Levels or Curve to achieve this? The LR slider approach seems much easier to me!

Lee

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Blacks & Shadows: Capture One Versus LR

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    I know that C1 is mainly for developing RAWs but sometimes I may want to process JPEGs or TIFFs exported from other applications.

With LR, I have the ability to move the Blacks and Shadows sliders to the left to alter the tone curve of such images. With C1 the Shadow slider is already at the far left so cannot be used to darken blacks and shadows. I guess I need to use Levels or Curve to achieve this? The LR slider approach seems much easier to me!

Lee
    Correct, use levels (or curves for more fine grain control at the cost of a few more seconds of thinking/evaluation).

When comparing sliding "levels (the black clip point)" and "shadow"... Either way you're sliding a control over to the right "to taste"... What's easier about LR? Possibly more "discoverable", but now that you've discovered it... What's the difference?
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blacks & Shadows: Capture One Versus LR

Hi Doug

Thanks and I am sure it is just a case of familiarisation. Perhaps you have some '12 things Lightroom users should know about C1'?

Or more generally, does anyone have any schedule of tests they perform when comparing raw converters? Even with C1's relatively generous 60 days trial period, time can fly by and one can still end up being confused which may be the 'best', leaving aside the fact that some converters may just be better for some cameras than others.

Shall I start a list?

Retention of inherent DR
    Ability to bring out fine detail without introducing artefacts
    Ability to hold/recover highlights
    Ability to boost shadows
    Color accuracy (real or perceived) and ability to hold that when manipulation levels etc
    NR - is it too aggressive or too light, can it be easily applied?
    Sharpening - is it too aggressive or too light, can it be easily applied?

Any more? That's leaving aside the more general features and usability issues, though they can be vital when making a choice.

Thanks
    Lee