Site Sponsors

Thread: Anyone here using CaptureOne to process Leica S2 files

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone here using CaptureOne to process Leica S2 files

I am in the midst of switching horses from PhaseOne to Leica S. Over time, I have become quite comfortable with Capture One software while haveing had essentially no experience / training within Light Room. Are there any reasons that I should consider switching to LR despite my comfort with C1?
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Douglas Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone here using CaptureOne to process Leica S2 files

I do not have a Leica S2 myself, but as far as I know this camera is not (yet ?) supported by Capture One.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    I do not have a Leica S2 myself, but as far as I know this camera is not (yet ?) supported by Capture One.
    In the owners area of Leica (https://owners.leica-camera.com/de/login) you can download a profile for the S2 or S to use with Capture One. Tethered shooting is not possible with Capture One and the S2 or S. LR does tethered shooting.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just processed this DNG with the S2 profile in C1 v7:

Leica S2-P C One

I normally use LR into PS as my workflow, but C One does work.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Bob,
    Great image. My question pertains more to choice than necessity. From what I have observed, it appears that the majority of S2 users prefer the Adobe path in one form or another to C1 and I wonder why; is there a specific advantage or is it simply preference. I have thought that C1 renders images with a "look" that I really like; that along with my unfamiliarity with Lightroom will probably have me remaining with C1 unless there is of some advantage with Lightroom that I have yet to realize...hence my question.

Douglas Benson.

Post Thanks / Like

My take on it is that LR has progressed over the past couple of years to the point that Capture One no longer has a substantial advantage whether one considers raw development, noise reduction or workflow in regards to the S cameras. When Phase dropped Leica it seems like Adobe really made a decent effort to support the Leica range of cameras. Just my opinion.

I personally loved C1 but tired of it throwing five to ten extra folders into every path when it developed a series of pictures...never could get used to that. LR has a very sophisticated workflow and very good profiles ... even lenses for the cameras have corrections profiled in LR.

One can do a roundtrip LR to edit in PS which is saved and recognized by LR. I also appreciate the ability to have NIK and other filters available in both LR and PS.

C1 may still be a bit easier to balance color but it is doable in LR/PS just a bit more work is needed.

If anything I would say that the built in profiles for LR and the very advanced highlight correction and noise reduction make it a great choice for S cameras.

Would be worth your effort to compare the two for a bit with respect to output and you may find you use LR the majority of the time...keep C1 for any file that does not seem to work in LR/PS...it may not in C1 but your option is there should you want it.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Bob,
    Thank you for your thoughtful reply. It sounds as though I should at least give LR a try although I suspect that this will be a steep learning curve for me.

Douglas Benson

Post Thanks / Like

A follow up question: Although I have never opened it, I currently have LR 3.6 on my Mac. Until I decide to switch from C1, is there any reason to update LR 4...any differences that would impact my decision or just tweaks and such?
    Last edited by pesto; 15th February 2013 at 12:53. Reason: Omission

Post Thanks / Like

Actually major improvements in sharpening, noise reduction and highlight mids lows adjustments...so at some point you will benefit...as it is all non-destructive editing updates are easily accomplished.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

...and all this time I was led to believe that Leica lenses need no sharpening!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pesto View Post
    ...and all this time I was led to believe that Leica lenses need no sharpening!!!
    THEY don't ... digital files may.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I do know that..I was just kidding. Thanks again for all of your thoughts. I think I will be watching the Adobe tutorials for a while. In fact, one of the elements that I liked most about C1 was the sharpening process, so this will be interesting.
    Thanks again!!!

Douglas Benson.

Post Thanks / Like

Do yourself a favor....

George Jardine on Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Digital Photography

Review of above:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IRNE...20518.htm#Jarb

I have done his online videos and they are very very comprehensive and well presented.

He distills this down in a very nice way.

Bob