The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monitor recommendations

cerett

I was considering purchasing a 27 inch Imac (love the looks) along with a second Apple monitor for processing images but have read a few discussions pointing to the glare and difficulties with calibration. I am currently using an older Apple 30 inch cinema display that seems to work fairly well, but is probably getting close to the end of its useful life. I really need to upgrade my system. I would very much appreciate knowing if the Imac issues are real and what would be good alternatives. Thank you.

routlaw

I was considering purchasing a 27 inch Imac (love the looks) along with a second Apple monitor for processing images but have read a few discussions pointing to the glare and difficulties with calibration. I am currently using an older Apple 30 inch cinema display that seems to work fairly well, but is probably getting close to the end of its useful life. I really need to upgrade my system. I would very much appreciate knowing if the Imac issues are real and what would be good alternatives. Thank you.
NEC PA271-SV. You want find anything better, or better customer service for that matter. The profiling software that comes with this monitor is off the charts good and very versatile too. I tried a Eizo CG monitor before this which had issues out of the box. Got the NEC, no comparison.

Hope this helps.

Rob

stngoldberg

All I can tell you is I have had an EiZO monitor for four years. I calibrate about twice a month using their calibration software and a color munki device.
I use imageprint 9 profiles---My prints come out of my Epson 7880 printer matching my Eizo exactly including skin tones

Stanley

cerett

Took a look at the specs on the NEC monitor. Seems like a winner. Can you tell me if your'e using the NEC with an with an apple computer.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just bought the NEC 27 with their calibration software . Looks really good just like my 30 was which I sold since my new desk setup could not fit it well so I dropped down to the 27 and its been great. I use my laptop screen as the second monitor.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW my 30 was 3 years old and still was working like new. 4 year warranty which is hard to beat.

routlaw

Took a look at the specs on the NEC monitor. Seems like a winner. Can you tell me if your'e using the NEC with an with an apple computer.
Like the others I am using my PA271 with a Mac Pro, no problems whatsoever. Had an older NEC 2190uxi before buying the PA271 for at least 6-7 years and its still working, gave it to my son in law and daughter.

BTW the best prices I have found on these are from Provantage.com whom I have ordered from on numerous occasions. Very reputable, highly recommended.

Hope this helps.

Rob

tsjanik

B&H has them for $899 and if you click through this site (top of page), Getdpi gets a kickback.
I bought one from them in November for $799, so sometimes the price is even lower. I have no connection with B&H, just a satisfied customer.

D

Deleted member 7792

If your desk can accommodate a 30" monitor, and I assume it can since that's what you're using now, you may want to consider the NEC PA301W. I use one with a Mac Pro and love it. The larger screen is great if you've got room for it.

Joe

Lars

If your desk can accommodate a 30" monitor, and I assume it can since that's what you're using now, you may want to consider the NEC PA301W. I use one with a Mac Pro and love it. The larger screen is great if you've got room for it.

Joe
I'd also consider going for two 27 inchers for almost the same cost (if my hardware supports it).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'd also consider going for two 27 inchers for almost the same cost (if my hardware supports it).
I have a 30in Cinema display and 27in NEC side by side with my MacPro.

I'd definitely consider swapping out the older Cinema for a 2nd NEC at some point because the colour rendering of the NEC is gorgeous and I suspect that calibration is better. Both work well but obviously the wider gamut of the NEC is helpful and even though both are calibrated there is a very slight difference between them.

I bought the NEC calibration software after I got the monitor. I use it with a ColorMunki Photo but I wish it would also work with the Cinema display. It's a slight pain having two calibration s/w engines on the same host for each monitor but the finer control on the NEC with the Spectraview s/w is worth it IMHO.

cerett

Thanks everyone. I will probably go with a new Mac Pro (mine is seven years old) and two 27" NEC monitors (PA271W-BK-SV) although the 30" is really tempting. I assume I only need to buy the SpectraView software and sensor for one monitor to calibrate both. That said, hoping to perhaps get a better price for two monitors.

BTW, any recommendations on the amount of RAM to easily run Lightroom/Photoshop with files from an H4D-60? I currently only have 8 gigs in my Mac Pro, but do get by.

fultonpics

how's that monitor working out? I use the PA271 also. I am amazed when switching off from my 27" Apple Thunderbolt monitor at work to the NEC at home. The apple is so washed out that the files on the NEC appear to have been taken by a different camera (i.e., better one!)

I hope Apple wakes up and sells a real monitor to go with their new MacPro coming out. We can only hope.

RVB

And how much is this monitor say 27" and 30" ones?

Where or how to buy it?
PRAD | Test Monitor Quatographic Intelli Proof 300 excellence

The above link is a test in german,you can use Google translate to read it,it score's very high results..I am planning to buy one myself,my Eizo 30" was broken in a fall...

Are you in Europe??QUATO Intelli Proof 300 excellence, EUR 2.899,90 --> www.mediafrost.de - Ihr Monitor und Grafikkartenspezialist fur Prof...

The link is the Cheapest I've seen for a 30" in Germany.. this link is to Quato's website and gives a list of places around the globe where you can buy them..QUATO | Bezugsquellen

Rob