Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 37 of 37

Thread: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

  1. #1
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    PhaseOne offers free webinars:

    Knowing Your Options is the Best Investment Protection

    COPENHAGEN, May 27, 2013 -- In response to recent requests, Phase One, the world’s leader in the world’s leader in open-platform, medium format camera systems and solutions, announced today a multi-faceted campaign to inform, inspire, and advise photographers who are seeking a smooth transition from other image editors to a Capture One Pro 7 workflow.

    Capture One Pro 7, widely known as the professional choice in imaging software, consistently delivers superior quality raw file conversions. Yet it also offers a range of advantages that may not immediately be apparent. For example, the application can be customized to suit personal and specific workflow needs. Also, its comprehensive, built-in feature support (such as black and white conversion) means that customers need not purchase additional expensive plug-ins.

    On Wednesday, May 29, as part of an ongoing series of free, informative Webinars, Phase One will present “Customizing Capture One Pro 7 to work for you.” And the first session in June will directly address transition questions that many photographers have been asking. The June schedule of Webinars includes:

    June 6: Transitioning to Capture One Pro 7 from other image editors
    June 12: New to Capture One? Learn the Highlights
    June 18: Learn to Crop, Rotate and Correct Perspective
    June 26: Search for and Locate your Images

    For complete details and to register, please check the events page of the Phase One web site here: Phase One events And please watch the Phase One web site for more news during the month of June.

    About Phase One
    Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform, high-end camera systems and solutions. Phase One cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One’s Capture One and Media Pro software help streamline capture and post-production processes for both medium format and DSLR cameras. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise.

    Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Sydney, and Tel Aviv.

    Phase One and Capture One are registered trademarks of Phase One A/S. All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

    For more information, please visit Phase One at phaseone.com; or contact the team at:
    Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/PhaseOneWW and on
    Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phase-One/184811514906561
    Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+phaseone/posts
    Linked In at Phase One | LinkedIn
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  2. #2
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Could this be in response to "the Cloud?"

  3. #3
    Senior Member kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    One can only hope.

    This quote taken from an email from Phase this morning: "Why rent other image editors? Pay once for Capture One Pro 7 and own it forever. With Capture One Pro 7, you won’t need any expensive plug-ins or monthly fees. Simply pay once and get all you need to create amazing images in one powerful and customizable solution." (emphasis added)

    They'll need to expand and offer quite a bit more in C1Pro7 or a parallel platform to flesh out what CS6 does more easily and with the option of third party plug-ins/actions etc.

    ken

  4. #4
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Agree they need more features so we don't need CS6 its really that simple.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Agree they need more features so we don't need CS6 its really that simple.
    to make Photoshop obsolete it requires a complete redesign of C1. With the color model / color management system C1 is currently based on it will never work for editing TIFs.
    I really do love the way C1 handles color... for RAW files. But it's useless for TIFs/JPEGs etc.
    Now, if C1 would support the Alpa Lens Correction Plugin (and other Photoshop Plugins), if it would feature a really smart stitching tool, if it would support unlimited layers with blending modes, with "Blend If" options and with masks and color chanels, if it would feature full blown color management (also suitable to prepare and softproof prints - again with fully featured softproof viewing options), if it could handle really large files ... then maybe it could replace Photoshop. But in all likelihood this is not going to happen ...

  6. #6
    Senior Member kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    I don't think Phase would need to make Photoshop obsolete---they just need to be competitive with the tools that photographers would use most, including managing large files with plugins, actions, etc. Maybe a parallel program at best otherwise I think C1Pro would be too bloated. Definitely would be a long road but it would be nice to have options other than the cloud bully.

    ken

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Better selection tools (paths) and layers with blend modes and variable opacity would go a long way, if not all to making PS obsolete for me.

    Doing all this stuff to the RAW image would but such an amazing step forward for C1 and I'd never need Tiff's or PSD's ever again.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Hey Guys,

    Thanks for input - and keep it coming!

    On the subject of plug-ins, this is something we discuss a lot.

    What plug-ins are you missing and why Ken? Sometimes we have found in the past that we can achieve the same results (often superior) to a plug in just by using the tools in Capture One.

    Anyway, if you are not a Capture One user it would be nice for me to introduce you to it at the Webinars.

    Thanks for posting the release Jack!
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

  9. #9
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    David,

    If there was a way to be 100% compatible with PS plugins I'd be a VERY VERY VERY happy bunny. The local adjustment tools in PS are my main reason for going there but for pretty much everything else I find myself visiting the NIK, DXO or similar plugin tools.

    Btw, that's NIK Dfine, Color Efex 4, Vivezza & Silver Efex and DXO lens correction & B&W tools.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Hi Graham,

    Nik Define - Noise reduction, Correct? I would be interested to see if Define can do any better than Capture One.

    In terms of effects we do have Styles in Capture One, which is essentially collections of adjustments that you can load with one click and continue editing on if necessary.

    So perhaps we should expand to more looks? Or encourage everyone to share their styles (if you like!) which is easily done.

    I think if we can encourage you to do as much in Capture One as you can, you should save time.

    Silver Efex - have you tried BW conversion in Capture One?

    As for DXO lens correction - same question? Maybe you can tell me why you are using the plugins as opposed to Capture One?

    David
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    David, I think the key thing to take onboard is many people who already use plugins want to continue with the same effects rather than learn new techniques in C1. Possibly if you don't want to allow plugin support you can emulate these effects in styles too make the transition easier?

    However until C1 gets layer blends, layer opacity and better selection tools to emulate what many use PS for, adding this sort of plugin support will not pull people away from Adobe IMO.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    David, I think the key thing to take onboard is many people who already use plugins want to continue with the same effects rather than learn new techniques in C1. Possibly if you don't want to allow plugin support you can emulate these effects in styles too make the transition easier?

    However until C1 gets layer blends, layer opacity and better selection tools to emulate what many use PS for, adding this sort of plugin support will not pull people away from Adobe IMO.
    Hi Gazwas,

    Thanks for the input. Anything to make the transition easier to help is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

    D
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

  13. #13
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    I use the cloning stamp and a few actions in PS; i see a generally better display of the image compared to the C1 viewer. i use genuine fractals for re-sizing and autopanogiga and siver efex and usually print and soft proof from PS, unless b/w, and then quadtone rip

  14. #14
    Senior Member kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Phase One View Post
    Hey Guys,

    Thanks for input - and keep it coming!

    On the subject of plug-ins, this is something we discuss a lot.

    What plug-ins are you missing and why Ken? Sometimes we have found in the past that we can achieve the same results (often superior) to a plug in just by using the tools in Capture One.

    Anyway, if you are not a Capture One user it would be nice for me to introduce you to it at the Webinars.

    Thanks for posting the release Jack!
    David,

    Are you (Phase) baiting us here on an alternative to the cloud bully?

    C1 Pro 7 is my processor for both Phase MFDB and Canon. But having the ability to use PS compatible actions and plug-ins (hence why I think a parallel program is needed) is really about saving time. With decent PS skills you can always get pretty darn close to any third party plug-in. But that's not what it is about. It's about saving time. It's efficiency. And often these programs like the Nik Collection do it better and easier. And at a low price point to boot. Time is money!

    I do use "styles" in C1Pro7, but not all the time. Just as I usually only use Nik's Silver Efex2 and Viveza regularly. I used to use the BW conversion in C1 Pro (still do on rare occasion) but Silver Efex2 is just a bit better imho. And this became more apparent to my subjective eye after having converted one of my 44" printers to K7 B&W Piezography.

    If anyone can offer a suitable alternative to the playground bully, it's the folks from Denmark. Don't need all the feature-sets of CS6, just those that photographers use most, which would still be a feature rich program. But being able to run all my current actions and plug-ins, in layers, opacity sliders, etc. would be huge.

    ken

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    I don't think Ps is your target- its Lightroom- if you can make C1pro more like Lr then you will get people to transition. And it seems that that is where you are headed mostly- the local brushes and gradient tools etc.

    But the task is going to be difficult since Lr is a pretty mature product, and at least in my opinion is a couple generations ahead of C1 in several areas.

    Where C1 excels is in tethered capture and speed of processing large numbers of files. Also colour is excellent in C1, the profiles are really the best, and the sharpening and noise reduction is very very good, if a little aggressive out of the box.

    But since Lr was written from the ground up and C1 has been a bit of frankenmonster evolving Lr has significant advantage for certain workflows.

    If you need to ingest, sort, keyword, caption, etc a shoot, Lr is still better imo- C1 can't show you un-jaggie thumbs in a grid like Lr can- essentially it is still a single-image by image program. I'm not talking about assessing sharpness per image I'm just talking about seeing expressions in thumbnails at all zoom levels and C1 just gives you rough thumbs. It was never designed to cache thumbs at all zoom levels like Bridge or Lr, which would slow it down in tethered capture. So there is a basic goal difference where C1 is optimized for speed and Lr is optimized for editing. It is going to be hard to resolve this since speed is very useful in tethering. Compromise it and you are left with tethering in Lr which is not very good.

    Also Lr is very very good at printing- it retains print settings per print, also it retains editing history which is very useful. For example if you are trying to get a group of images like a show or a book or a job together, where colour has to be even throughout, etc, Lr can do it, you can stay in raw and see groups of pictures together and alter each and retain history and by iteration make prints etc that go together. C1 was never really developed to do this, it is per image- process to tiff. I think it is the history list in Lr that really helps, plus the snapshots, plus the saved print functions. Because really in a show for example, it is the print that matters, not the screen, so you need to be able to iterate prints together and this means going back and forth. C1 is not there.

    Also the local adjustment user experience in Lr is flat out better- real time adjustment, not just painting masks. And more adjustment options, tint, wb, etc. C1 hopefully will get there.

    I haven't even touched books or web galleries, you get the idea.

    I think the target is obvious- Lr.

  16. #16
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Healing. Actions. Layers. Plugins. Pony. In that order.

    And thank you for asking!

    --Matt

    (OK, I don't really need a Pony. That request is traditional.)

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by robertwright View Post

    Where C1 excels is in tethered capture and speed of processing large numbers of files. Also colour is excellent in C1, the profiles are really the best, and the sharpening and noise reduction is very very good, if a little aggressive out of the box.

    But since Lr was written from the ground up and C1 has been a bit of frankenmonster evolving Lr has significant advantage for certain workflows.

    If you need to ingest, sort, keyword, caption, etc a shoot, Lr is still better imo- C1 can't show you un-jaggie thumbs in a grid like Lr can- essentially it is still a single-image by image program. I'm not talking about assessing sharpness per image I'm just talking about seeing expressions in thumbnails at all zoom levels and C1 just gives you rough thumbs. It was never designed to cache thumbs at all zoom levels like Bridge or Lr, which would slow it down in tethered capture. So there is a basic goal difference where C1 is optimized for speed and Lr is optimized for editing. It is going to be hard to resolve this since speed is very useful in tethering. Compromise it and you are left with tethering in Lr which is not very good.
    Thanks for the compliments!

    Just to pick up on thumbnails. I personally don't experience 'jagged' thumbnails and don't feel I am missing out compared to Lightroom (which I have of course used extensively as well).

    Perhaps you had a low setting for your previews? The default is now 2560 px.

    Check your preferences, under the Image Tab.

    You can easily show a grid of images by hiding the viewer, and or other elements if you wish.

    David
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    I filed a bug ticket with Phase and they said to use the loupe. This is C1-7.1.1, previews as you say, Mac Pro quad 2.6, openCL off- stock vid card nvidia gforce gt120 512mb.

    Thumbs are always jaggie/block compressed.


    Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Phase One View Post
    Thanks for the compliments!

    Just to pick up on thumbnails. I personally don't experience 'jagged' thumbnails and don't feel I am missing out compared to Lightroom (which I have of course used extensively as well).

    Perhaps you had a low setting for your previews? The default is now 2560 px.

    Check your preferences, under the Image Tab.

    You can easily show a grid of images by hiding the viewer, and or other elements if you wish.

    David

  19. #19
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    I'm still getting not as sharp looking in the preview than when I bring it into C1 and maybe it could be some old preferences lurking around. I'm at the new default David.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by robertwright View Post
    I filed a bug ticket with Phase and they said to use the loupe. This is C1-7.1.1, previews as you say, Mac Pro quad 2.6, openCL off- stock vid card nvidia gforce gt120 512mb.

    Thumbs are always jaggie/block compressed.
    What's your preferences at Robert?

    And update to 7.1.2!
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    hijacking the thread- perhaps we should move the conversation. I have the previews set to 2560, open Cl set to never. I just updated to 7..1.2, its the same.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    I don't think Phase would need to make Photoshop obsolete---they just need to be competitive with the tools that photographers would use most, including managing large files with plugins, actions, etc. Maybe a parallel program at best otherwise I think C1Pro would be too bloated. Definitely would be a long road but it would be nice to have options other than the cloud bully.
    I absolutely agree! My post wasn't intended to be a feature request list... it was just a reply to Guy's post (the one I've quoted).

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Proper side by side soft proofing is pretty key for anyone who still prints.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by wattsie View Post
    Proper side by side soft proofing is pretty key for anyone who still prints.
    agreed! And the only software that can do this in any fashion you like to view your softproof is ... (drumroll)... Photoshop.

  25. #25
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    David, I think the key thing to take onboard is many people who already use plugins want to continue with the same effects rather than learn new techniques in C1. Possibly if you don't want to allow plugin support you can emulate these effects in styles too make the transition easier?

    However until C1 gets layer blends, layer opacity and better selection tools to emulate what many use PS for, adding this sort of plugin support will not pull people away from Adobe IMO.
    And a color range tool for selection's ...and the ability to use imported files with the overlay tool in the layers section.. increasing the power of the layers in C1P would really expand its appeal..

  26. #26
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32° 31' 37.06" N, 111° 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    I'm sitting in a hotel room a couple hundred miles from home and just have an iPad to type this on so beware of content.

    I find I use C1 Pro exclusively for my tech cam work; first thing that's open. My DF is a slightly different animal. Most of the Df work is open in CS6 after I do a lens check.

    I use a lot of actions in CS to include false color IR correction as well as running files through Nik. If C1 could add actions and plugins it would go a long way. I still haven't gotten comfortable with the color wheel however in all fairness I've only been using C1 since it became compatible with 64bit and I've been using photoshop for many many years.

    More thoughts will have to wait until I get to a real computer

    Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  27. #27
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Phase One View Post
    Hi Graham,

    Nik Define - Noise reduction, Correct? I would be interested to see if Define can do any better than Capture One.
    Sometimes I need to use both. With certain images from non Phase One cameras, such as my Fuji X-Pro1/X-E1, the long exposure noise reduction is definitely more controllable and local adjustable in Nik DFine. For Phase One MFDBs I don't need/use DFine unless it's for a super noisey 4min IQ160 image destined for B&W.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Phase One
    In terms of effects we do have Styles in Capture One, which is essentially collections of adjustments that you can load with one click and continue editing on if necessary.

    So perhaps we should expand to more looks? Or encourage everyone to share their styles (if you like!) which is easily done.
    Yes - that would be great. I have some styles and workspace presets from Doug and CI from before that I still use.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Phase One
    I think if we can encourage you to do as much in Capture One as you can, you should save time.

    Silver Efex - have you tried BW conversion in Capture One?
    Well yes but ultimately C1Pro is no SFX ... I can get looks from that far easier than the slider gymnastics in C1Pro. I'm not saying it's bad because it certainly isn't. Silver EFex Pro is just better, faster and easier to use. IMHO.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Phase One
    As for DXO lens correction - same question? Maybe you can tell me why you are using the plugins as opposed to Capture One?

    David
    I don't use DXO much actually but there are some lenses that they've profiled that work well. What I should have clarified was that I really meant the Viewpoint product. The volume anamorphosis is something that C1 doesn't seem to offer.

    In addition to the plugins, the main thing for me is the ability to do some intelligent clone stamping beyond just dust/spot removal. I often need to remove objects around the edge of the frame (rogue leaves, etc) that spot/dust just can't handle so well.

    For tech camera images I'd love to be able to call out to a tool like Helicon Focus to perform a focus stack.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by robertwright View Post
    hijacking the thread- perhaps we should move the conversation. I have the previews set to 2560, open Cl set to never. I just updated to 7..1.2, its the same.
    Hi Robert,

    It will depend on the setting on import. You could try to Regenerate the Previews > Option in the File Menu.

    David
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Sometimes I need to use both. With certain images from non Phase One cameras, such as my Fuji X-Pro1/X-E1, the long exposure noise reduction is definitely more controllable and local adjustable in Nik DFine. For Phase One MFDBs I don't need/use DFine unless it's for a super noisey 4min IQ160 image destined for B&W.



    Yes - that would be great. I have some styles and workspace presets from Doug and CI from before that I still use.



    Well yes but ultimately C1Pro is no SFX ... I can get looks from that far easier than the slider gymnastics in C1Pro. I'm not saying it's bad because it certainly isn't. Silver EFex Pro is just better, faster and easier to use. IMHO.



    I don't use DXO much actually but there are some lenses that they've profiled that work well. What I should have clarified was that I really meant the Viewpoint product. The volume anamorphosis is something that C1 doesn't seem to offer.

    In addition to the plugins, the main thing for me is the ability to do some intelligent clone stamping beyond just dust/spot removal. I often need to remove objects around the edge of the frame (rogue leaves, etc) that spot/dust just can't handle so well.

    For tech camera images I'd love to be able to call out to a tool like Helicon Focus to perform a focus stack.
    Thanks for the insight Graham.
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

  30. #30
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eden, Vermont
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    On the webinar topic: The ones I've been able to see have had good useful information from photographers in practical work situations, but I'm often not free at the scheduled times. Is there any way Phase can make previous webinars available for viewing at a later time like the tutorials?

    Thanks,

    Lynn Noah
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    They do on their YouTube channel.

    Don't hold your breath on learning that much though as the last couple I've watched were very much bias marketing BS. I still chuckle thinking about Frederico Martins shooting a head shot from above, placing his DF/260 on a lightweight traveller tripod with the column fully extended, iPad in hand saying how great the new wifi features of the 260 are.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #32
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Aren't these past webinars?

    Capture One webinars

  33. #33
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32° 31' 37.06" N, 111° 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    My IR work requires more than my normal files.

    One of the first things I do is run a "false color" action consisting of channel mixer, auto levels, auto contrast, auto color and hue/saturation. Since this is an action its completely automated. Most times I'm pleased however sometimes I need to open level and tweak it so suite. I also sometimes will need to use a clone stamp, or healing stamp then I might add another level and add a Gaussian blur while adding a victor mask. I've tried to do similar in C1 Pro however failed.

    Bottom line is that until I can work in levels, masks, and a few other steps I 'll be forced to continue with CS.

    Again this is mainly with IR work. It's different with MF as C1 is the first editor I open where I use lens correction, LCC and other adjustments; sometimes I'm pleased however whenever I'm not I then run a process to convert to Tiff and open in CS. While C1 is getting closer to satisfying my needs it still has a way to go.

    Until recently this hasn't been that huge a deal. My way of thinking is that it's better to have 2-programs that satisfy my needs than one which is bloated.

    Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    They do on their YouTube channel.

    Don't hold your breath on learning that much though as the last couple I've watched were very much bias marketing BS. I still chuckle thinking about Frederico Martins shooting a head shot from above, placing his DF/260 on a lightweight traveller tripod with the column fully extended, iPad in hand saying how great the new wifi features of the 260 are.
    Hi Gareth,

    The webinars are purely educational and not 'marketing BS' as you put it.

    I hold two a day to give the opportunity for folks over the world to join and you can pose your own questions at the end of the webinar for us to answer.

    We then make the recording available to the attendees.

    We also survey every attendee of the webinars for feedback and currently their comments are very positive.

    So it doesn't sound like you have attended one of the webinars but are commenting on what is essentially a marketing video not an educational service?

    The webinars are continuing on through June and you can find out the new subjects on the events page. Hope to see you there..

    Phase One events
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

  35. #35
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Phase One View Post
    Hi Gareth,

    The webinars are purely educational and not 'marketing BS' as you put it.

    I hold two a day to give the opportunity for folks over the world to join and you can pose your own questions at the end of the webinar for us to answer.

    We then make the recording available to the attendees.

    We also survey every attendee of the webinars for feedback and currently their comments are very positive.

    So it doesn't sound like you have attended one of the webinars but are commenting on what is essentially a marketing video not an educational service?

    The webinars are continuing on through June and you can find out the new subjects on the events page. Hope to see you there..

    Phase One events
    I fully agree with David's response. I attended a couple of the webinars and find them very instructive and helpful. I can highly recommend them!

    I do not understand how someone can call them "marketing BS". Is this a matter of "think twice before you post", Gareth?


    cheers,
    Remko
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    Thanks Remko!

    I am glad you have found them useful.

    To continue on with our campaign of welcoming new users we have started a time limited offer for a 50% off Capture One Express and 20% of Capture One Pro!

    Full details here..

    Time limited offer: save up to 50%
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    948
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Phase One Launches Photo Editing Software Transition Campaign

    There is only one company with the financial resources, technical expertise and an understanding of how to create products that are elegant in their usability that could create a real alternative to Photoshop. Apple. If Apple took a tiny part of its $80B offshore cash hoard and bought Phase One and then put its own people on the project with the Phase One people, they could take Aperture and extend out its capabilities to handle pixel based editing for converted TIFFs.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •