The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Film Scanner-Vuescan problem

gurtch

Hi all:
I have a Polaroid 120 Sprintscan film scanner. It is an "orphan"; Polaroid long ago went out of business and does not support it. Fortunately, I long ago purchased the Pro version of Vuescan to run both the film scanner and my Epson V700 flat bed. The film scanner worked beautifully with Vuescan prior to Hurricane Sandy. We were homeless for 6 months with no power, no water, and no heat. The equipment sat idle. We are now home, and lo and behold!! the film scanner no longer functions. Vuescan says there is no scanner connected. I downloaded the latest version of Vuescan, but that did not fix the problem. In Device Manager in Windows 7 64 bit, It says "This Device cannot start (Code 10)"
It also says :
Driver Provider: Hamrick Software
Date: 8/21/2006
Version 1.0.0.4

In the Details tab it says:

Driver Details:
C:\windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys
C:\windows\system32\drivers\scsiscan.sys

The film scanner runs on either SCSI or Firewire. I am using Firewire.
I have some important 120 B&W negatives I must scan...I need help!
I did use my V700 and scanned several, but the quality is not as good as the Sprintscan. Top quality is important, as I want to make big prints.
I did send a request to Hamrick Software, but I am sure Ed is taking care of the entire world.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ

Lars

I don't know why you see this problem, but if you can get hold of a 32-bit version of Windows then you might have a better chance of getting SCSI drivers working. I am still keeping a Windows XP boot partition on my desktop computer solely for my SCSI-based drum scanner.

robertwright

I had the same scanner for a long time, then it starting misbehaving and so I got a microtek version and it worked fine,. but they were always finicky on startup- not mounting. I found I either had to replug in the firewire and restart the scanner then fire up VS or restart VS several times to get it to see the scanner, and then also sometime I had to even insert the holder before it would recognize the scanner.

They do "die" so it might just be curtains. My polaroid developed a stuck pixel and also refused to mount the holder. I didn't have the microtek version long enough to see issues, it was relatively new when I sold it.

good luck.

obviously starting from a fresh reboot, fire up software, then insert holder is the usual order that it works.

Hi all:
I have a Polaroid 120 Sprintscan film scanner. It is an "orphan"; Polaroid long ago went out of business and does not support it. Fortunately, I long ago purchased the Pro version of Vuescan to run both the film scanner and my Epson V700 flat bed. The film scanner worked beautifully with Vuescan prior to Hurricane Sandy. We were homeless for 6 months with no power, no water, and no heat. The equipment sat idle. We are now home, and lo and behold!! the film scanner no longer functions. Vuescan says there is no scanner connected. I downloaded the latest version of Vuescan, but that did not fix the problem. In Device Manager in Windows 7 64 bit, It says "This Device cannot start (Code 10)"
It also says :
Driver Provider: Hamrick Software
Date: 8/21/2006
Version 1.0.0.4

In the Details tab it says:

Driver Details:
C:\windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys
C:\windows\system32\drivers\scsiscan.sys

The film scanner runs on either SCSI or Firewire. I am using Firewire.
I have some important 120 B&W negatives I must scan...I need help!
I did use my V700 and scanned several, but the quality is not as good as the Sprintscan. Top quality is important, as I want to make big prints.
I did send a request to Hamrick Software, but I am sure Ed is taking care of the entire world.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ

Lars

Microtek and firewire? Sounds familiar. My 1800f never worked well on firewire, USB is fine however.