The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AfterShot Pro by: Corel

Tesselator

I just got this only a yesterday but I've found that's about the same as a few weeks for the less app-aggressive users out there. :p

Man, have you guys used this yet? Drop the poorly-written slow-as-molasses LightRoom and put aside CaptureOne for awhile and give this a try!
It's available for Windows, Mac, and Linux so you're afforded a bit of platform freedom with it. There's a trial version available on the home site here.

The Corel site starts off the introductory blurb with "Corel® AfterShot™ Pro is a fast..." and as these kinds of blurbs typically go they're drastically
understating the case. Running AfterShot Pro on my ancient 2006 MacPro1,1 (w/32GB RAM, and 8-cores of x5355 Xeon at 2.67GHz & GTX570) acts much
faster than LR on my liquid-cooled 16-core 4+ GHz Boxx 8980 XTREME with dual Tesla cards and 32GB RAM!

All the usual raw processing tools plus some unexpected goodies are presented in a pretty slick highly customizable, gooey (GUI):

It's of course all non-destructive. The last 4 or 5 revision releases have offered OpenCL support as you can see from the image above. Totally sweet!
It has layer masks for selective editing and processing. Layer brushing can be as accurate as 2 pixels and selection areas are sub-pixel accurate. It has
options for independent layers which allow opacity and unique selection spline sets and/or brush strokes per layer. The selection splines can be edited
at any time during editing or after saving the files out. I guess the spline data is saved in either of it's two kinds of XMP sidecar files. It sports a plug-in
architecture but I haven't looked yet to see what APIs it's using nor if the plugs are compatible with those from/for other apps. Mine came with a souped
up version of NoiseNinja and B&W processor with selective color capabilities.

It supports catalogs which I personally dislike, and also OS hierarchal folder structures of your own devise - which is what I prefer. It uses just two
user definable folders for all of its cache, work, proofs, previews, and profiles so it won't make a mess of things either. The review-and-select tools
are similar to all other good PP apps I've tried so finding, sorting, and tagging stuff is done in the usual ways. Basically if you already know LR, CP1,
or Aperture, there's no learning curve to deal with - just a HUGE speed increase and who doesn't want that? :D It has some nice output features
but nothing others don't have IIRC. PDF files, Proof (Contact) Sheets, and so on. It also has a slide-show feature but it's fairly simplistic with just
interval, border offsets, and so on as available options. No fancy wipes or anything but this is a RAW processor so I'm not sure how fitting something
like wipes or etceteras, would be. It's got Versioning, Stacking, Keywording, Tagging, and Star Rating to help with progressive edit revisions and so
forth. And the various tool pallets can be docked and floated for us multi-monitor users. ;)

My little old MP1,1 with GTX570 can select, apply many many adjustments, and display GH2 RAW files in 0.27s or 3 FPS depending how you look at it.
Processing, converting, and saving one raw-to-jpeg image at a time occurs in about 0.8 seconds with every slider and adjustment set to something
other than the as-shot defaults. Batch processing 100 such 16mpx GH2 raw files took considerably less time with an average 0.63 seconds for each.
That's fast in the extreme - given the machine spec!

So give this a try. DL the trial version, walk through all the preferences to optimize it for your particular system, then try out all the features, and
come back here and tell us what you thought - good or bad. I have a feeling some here will be typing CASP or ASP in their posts more often than LR
from now on. Me, I'm uninstalling LR all together - that's for sure! ;) They've put together quite a system with hordes of free plug-ins and a fairly
energetic community.

Right now Amazon has it for sale for $14.99 as a download. But you can only take advantage of the deal if you're either in the USA or are using
something like a Tor network which makes you location independent. :D

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The price is certainly attractive, so I downloaded it. It doesn't open RAW files from PhaseOne backs, so it won't replace C1 for me.

Best,

Matt

Tesselator

Seems to be true. ;) ASP's supported formats are listed here: Photo Management Software - AfterShot Pro. But there's a stated current intensive effort to vastly expand that list so maybe soon? I have no idea. To me it looks like it already supports everything except MF backs so maybe that's indeed where they're going next with the camera support thing. <shrug>

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I hope they do support the MF backs. I'm trying to get free of Adobe products. Layers and healing are still fairly primitive in C1. I hope that they, or someone else, will do a "good enough" job there. ASP looks pretty sophisticated, and (after my very limited playing around) produces nice results quickly.

Thanks for the heads up!

--Matt

Tesselator

I'll give it a try, thanks. Just to clarify tho, I'm not an LR user. I could never get along with an app that requires the importation of images into a catalog - cutting me off from direct OS access or effectively doubling the space required. But that's just me. I typically use PS/Bridge/ACR or CaptureOne.

I just happened to come across this AfterShot thing and was amazed by the (processing, navigation, and adjustment updating) speed of the thing. I keep pretty close tabs on the benchmark speeds and also the workflow dynamics of more than a few post processing apps so AfterShot was a nice little surprise in those regards.

Since posting this it's come to my attention that highlight recovery (a very needed tool) is whack and a few other little bugs make this app not really ready for prime time. It can't be professionally used just now. - shame!

Maybe by version 1.3 or so it'll be better. I think it will too - as Corel seems pretty serious about straightening things out. If/when they do that will make the $15 purchase a nicely captured opportunity. :) It already has the fastest rendering conventions on the planet so they better do right by it! :p

Again, thanks for the link!