Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Mac Pro

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Mac Pro

I myself am in preparations for ordering my Mac Pro. I expect by the end of the month for me. I have already ordered an additional 2GB of RAM from OWC and have a 1 TB Seagate 7200.11 ready for Time Machine duties.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A word on Time Machine...

If you do NOT copy images and only copy the normal OS, applications, email, regular document files and even your LR library, I would guess that a 500G drive will cover most folks for about a year of back-up before stuff started falling off the back end. Mine has been running about a month backing up everything EXCEPT images (I am backing up my LR libraries on it) and I've used up about 80G of disk space on the 500G drive I have dedicated to it. The regular hourly back-ups do not take up much added space unless you've made a lot of changes in your file structure. Obviously, if you add images to the back-up routine, you'll need a large enough drive to store the first set and then enough extra to maintain the changes --- and this will eat up drive space quickly...

My preferred back-up for images is still to have my working image drives fully redundant mirrored onsite and another redundant copy stored offsite. For my historical images, a current onsite copy and one redundant offsite copy are adequate. FWIW, I use Carbon Copy Cloner as my image back-up software. It can be be scheduled to run whenever and CAN make a bootable clone of your OS too! IMO for a $10 freeware it is a bargain.

As I gain confidence with TM, it may become the "onsite" back-up routine of choice for my current working image database, but I doubt I'd ever rely on it completely...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Good point, Jack. Regardless of the advertising and marketing, Time Machine seems like a great tool for "all the other stuff" that needs backing up (emails, documents, calendars, notes, address books, etc.). Image files are just too big and too many for most photographers to use something like Time Machine. In fact, Time Machine seems to have some conflicts with things like Aperture's Vault system and Library, and may not be the best for doing that sort of back-up.

For folks doing a lot of image file work, I still think using a RAID 5 system to work on things is a good way to go, and then back-up the final files separately. If one is looking to save every edit on image files, then they are going to need an awful lot of storage space. The distinction must be made between having on-the-fly back-ups for recovery, which is what RAID 5 will do, versus having histories of things from the past, which is what Time Machine is sort of doing. They overlap, but one should think about what they really want to have constantly backed-up in Time Machine, as well as how to best manage and archive image files. As you point out, if folks use Time Machine as their image file back-up system, stuff will quickly be falling off the back end as the space gets gobbled up. Time Machine is more of a "safety net" back-up system, and not an archival storage system, though it could be used that way for smaller file sets.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You guys are killing me with this thread. I've been waiting patiently for my MP to arrive for several weeks now, and was pretty psyched all weekend since today was to have been the day. Unfortunately, a spell of warm temps and rain have turned my uphill driveway into a sheet of ice.

The Fedex guy called at 7:00 a.m. while I was in the shower and left a message saying he wasn't even going to try to get up the hill. If I'd taken the call I could have met him at the street with my ATV and been happily mac pro-ing by now.

So one more stinkin' day. So close!

Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself a good night's sleep tonight, as I think you are going to be burning many hours once your Mac Pro finally arrives ;-)

That part about being so close is the most frustrating.....had the same thing happen with a UPS delivery on a Friday....missed him by a few minutes, and had to agonize over the entire weekend until I finally got the new toy.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Get yourself a good night's sleep tonight, as I think you are going to be burning many hours once your Mac Pro finally arrives ;-)
    No question it's going to be work. Since I'm coming from my old G5 PPC, I plan to reinstall from disc all of the apps on the new Intel Mac Pro. A pretty lengthy process when you factor in all the upgrades, etc. And where the heck did all those other applications come from that are filling my Applications folder? Four years of quietly collecting stuff that I suddenly remember I have! Still, there could be worse problems to have, so no complaining.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Half the fun of getting the new machine
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow. One day with the Mac Pro. It's a almost a little disconcerting to see apps like Quark, that took forever to open on my G5, jump to life on this machine. And others have said it, but I am stunned by how quiet it is. Oh happy day!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new Mac Pro!! Now YOU are the one killing some of us waiting to get one of these new machines ;-) Just looking at test stats, the Mac Pro looks like it will be a screamer for some time, so your enjoyment today will probably last quite some time, and quiet is good. (My G5 can get to howling with all the drives and cards I am running in it.)

LJ