The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1Pro7 - PS5.5 Help

Dogs857

Hello

I have been using Capture One Pro 7 for only a short while now and on a whole am quite impressed with it.

The only problem I am encountering is when I export files to edit in PS5.5

For exmple, I did all my adjustments to an image and got it looking the way I wanted on my calibrated monitor. I then exported a version to edit in Photoshop to cut out some blown areas using content aware fill. Exporting and working on the files goes without issue.

The problem happens when I save the file from Photoshop as a TIFF, then export back into C1. All my adjustments seem to have disappeared, the image now looks really flat. I also can now not adjust anything on the image, it just comes back bland and unworkable.

What am I doing wrong?? This is an annoying issue for me at the moment. I can't for example apply ICC adjustments to images, export them to stitch into a pano and then bring them back to adjust the final image. What's more if I make adjustments first they disappear when I bring the photo back.

Any ideas??

RVB

Hello

I have been using Capture One Pro 7 for only a short while now and on a whole am quite impressed with it.

The only problem I am encountering is when I export files to edit in PS5.5

For exmple, I did all my adjustments to an image and got it looking the way I wanted on my calibrated monitor. I then exported a version to edit in Photoshop to cut out some blown areas using content aware fill. Exporting and working on the files goes without issue.

The problem happens when I save the file from Photoshop as a TIFF, then export back into C1. All my adjustments seem to have disappeared, the image now looks really flat. I also can now not adjust anything on the image, it just comes back bland and unworkable.

What am I doing wrong?? This is an annoying issue for me at the moment. I can't for example apply ICC adjustments to images, export them to stitch into a pano and then bring them back to adjust the final image. What's more if I make adjustments first they disappear when I bring the photo back.

Any ideas??
Are you exporting the files as processed Tiff's using the output section or are you adjusting the files in C1 and then opening them in PS for adjustment without actually outputting them as processed Tiffs??

Dogs857

outputting as a processed tiff including adjustments.

The files are getting into PS without a problem. I am only getting issues trying to bring stuff back into C1.

RVB

" All my adjustments seem to have disappeared, the image now looks really flat." When you say all your adjustments have disappeared do you mean the adjustments made in C1 before output or the adjustments made in PS?

Dogs857

" All my adjustments seem to have disappeared, the image now looks really flat." When you say all your adjustments have disappeared do you mean the adjustments made in C1 before output or the adjustments made in PS?
All the adjustments I made in C1 before output.

e.g if I adjust the brightness and contrast, then move to PS for cloning. When I come back to C1 the brightness and contrast adjustments seem to have been removed. And I can't change them again.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Capture one seems to only display the embedded preview in a tiff.
Generally, C1 is NOT useful for viewing processed images.

For example, it can process an image to PSD, but it cannot display them.
The best preview is that which you see of the raw image with adjustments applied.

I know, you might think that it should be a viewer of processed files as well as a raw processor, but it is not. This is one of my personal beefs with the program, which otherwise is excellent. If you want the ultimate in frustration, just try looking at scanned monochrome tiffs in C1. NADA absolutely nothing, unless you make them rgb, and then it is not all that useful.

Lightroom does better as a general viewer and cataloger, but IMHO does NOT do as good a job as C1 in raw processing.

-bob

Last edited:

Dogs857

Capture one seems to only display the embedded preview in a tiff.
Generally, C1 is NOT useful for veering processed images.

For example, it can process an image to PSD, but it cannot display them.
The best preview is that which you see of the raw image with adjustments applied.

I know, you might think that it should be a viewer of processed files as well as a raw processor, but it is not. This is one of my personal beefs with the program, which otherwise is excellent. If you want the ultimate in frustration, just try looking at scanned monochrome tiffs in C1. NADA absolutely nothing, unless you make them rah, and then it is not all that useful.

Lightroom does better as a general viewer and cataloger, but IMHO does NOT do as good a job as C1 in raw processing.

-bob
Thanks Bob that makes sense.

I think so long as I think of this as my RAW processor only I should be on the right track. It's a bit of a pain but it will do I guess. Once I export it from C1 then I just don't bring it back.

Dogs857

You can see the option for TIFF processing here...
Thanks mate.

Mine doesn't have that option. I am running C1 in DB mode only. Would that make a difference??

The only option I have in the editing area in my version is a box that says "make new files writable by everyone". There is nothing there about editing TIFF.

Is yours the paid version then?? If so I will have to pony up and make it so.

RVB

Thanks mate.

Mine doesn't have that option. I am running C1 in DB mode only. Would that make a difference??

The only option I have in the editing area in my version is a box that says "make new files writable by everyone". There is nothing there about editing TIFF.

Is yours the paid version then?? If so I will have to pony up and make it so.
I think it might be worth trying a full version of C1P to see if it provides the function,I used C1P7 (Full version..)this morning to output a DNG to 16bit tiff,adjust it in PS cs6 and it works perfectly.. try it from here.. Download Capture One Pro 7 imaging software

I believe it's possible to upgrade the DB version to the full version,I think its worth the money which is relatively cheap for the extra function..

Rob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
What you will find with tiff, is that although now you can see them in C1 if they are rgb and indeed apply further adjustments, those adjustments will not be reflected in the tiff itself. It would need to be re-processed into a new tiff for them to become useful in another program. At that point it has been flattened into a newly created tiff. If they are grayscale, then the image may or may not display and the cause for this is a puzzle to me. Foe example, grayscale tiffs produced by scanner software usually just does not show but a grayscale produced by PSCC does, although it appears different.
Layers seems to be rendered however there is significant lag between a file change and a change in the displayed image even after explicitly regenerating previews. I have seen cases when exiting and re-starting c1, then selecting and de-selecting the image were required in order to see the change on-screen, even then sometimes the pre-view thumbnail gets out of sync with the larger displayed image. It is not clear if all layer types and modes are supported, although normal, brightness/contrast,soft light, exclusion, text, and shape are.
For these reasons, I do my best to give C1 only one shot at an image and then once processed to tiff, continue with other software, usually PS in my case.
For panoramas, I tend to apply adjustments in c1 to the "central" image including lens vignette adjustments, then apply those same adjustments to the other images that will comprise the pano. Inspect them all for reasonableness, then export the lot to tiff for stitching.
-bob

Dogs857

Thanks everyone.

A lot to take in but I think this will sort out my issues. Time for a bit more of a play.

Really appreciate the help.