The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help!! Mature women

M

mjr

Afternoon

I don't need help with mature women in general, just in photographing them!

I have shot a local woman today, she's classically Swedish looking, early 40's and looks fantastic in my opinion, she's a mother, business owner and I want to be respectful in my photograph of her.

So, she's not a kid, I don't want to give her plastic skin, she is very natural and I want to portray her in that way.

What would you do with this shot, I'm tempted to leave it as it is but I'm not an expert so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Skin tone? Blemishes? Overall tone? This is the far North of Sweden so it's cold, I want to keep that feel if possible. Is this "too" real?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Mat

M

mjr

Hi Maggie

Thanks for the comment, I think she looks great too, she told me earlier that she's actually 49! I think I'll leave the photograph as it is, other than WB it's as shot and I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks again.

Mat

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I am a tweaker, so I might be tempted to do something like this:

-bob

M

mjr

Hi Bob

Thanks for taking a look, it appears you've removed colour from her face, she looks a little, well, deceased! Ha.

I had actually played quite a bit with her flesh tones and went as I did due to where we are, it's cold, everyone who is out in these temperatures ends up with a slightly redder nose and cheeks, it's natural with the wind chill.

I appreciate you having a tweak but respectfully, I think the tones add to the image. Would you have changed anything else?

She loves it by the way!

Mat

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Bob

Thanks for taking a look, it appears you've removed colour from her face, she looks a little, well, deceased! Ha.

I had actually played quite a bit with her flesh tones and went as I did due to where we are, it's cold, everyone who is out in these temperatures ends up with a slightly redder nose and cheeks, it's natural with the wind chill.

I appreciate you having a tweak but respectfully, I think the tones add to the image. Would you have changed anything else?

She loves it by the way!

Mat
Yes I took out some of the red except in her lips, darkened the margin below her lips and brightened her eyes.
I guess the reason I took out the red is that to me she appeared a bit too ruddy, the point just before she turns white with frostbite, but yes, cold means red faces even here in Massachusetts.
I like your image just fine, just couldn't keep my hands off it LOL.
-bob