Site Sponsors

Thread: Help needed

Manatee

Help needed

I want the M8.

Before taking the plunge I borrowed a M6 to get the RF feeling.
    I'm afraid I like RF!

I shot some tests with a 35 cron (old) on Tri X the other day and had the film developed and scanned. I got a disk with 72dpi scans. I appeared to me that the unprocessed are very 'grey' without contrast etc. Since this is the first time I used film and transferred into bits and bytes I was wondering if this is normal.

Did my dealer did a bad job?

The first picture is the unprocessed JPEG on the second one I only used 'curves'.
    I use CS2.

Please help.

Thanks,
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Help needed

I'm not surprised - scanning is usually either a DIY job using a decent scanner like the Minolta or Nikon offerings, or a highly specialized professional task to get real high-quality stuff. The run-of-the-mill around the corner scan is always fit only for the dustbin.... I fear, if you like rangefinders and want to go digital, it will cost you real money -something like M8 money
    Chemical photography, imo, should stick with chemical and and digital with computers, and never the twain should meet....
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
    I shot some tests with a 35 cron (old) on Tri X the other day and had the film developed and scanned. I got a disk with 72dpi scans. I appeared to me that the unprocessed are very 'grey' without contrast etc. Since this is the first time I used film and transferred into bits and bytes I was wondering if this is normal.

Did my dealer did a bad job?

The first picture is the unprocessed JPEG on the second one I only used 'curves'.
    I use CS2.
    no this should not be normal. can you find out what sort of scanner you dealer used? can you give a bit more details regarding the service provided by your dealer? you may have needed to clarify what you needed. perhaps you ended with a jpg file from your dealer because your dealer assumed you only wanted a simple scan. sort of like a proof before you decide if this image is worth scanning in higher resolution.

i recently had a few slides scanned by a lab. the slides were done on a drum scanner. the scanned files were between 90 and 100 mb. they were relatively large because i wanted to print up to 16 x 20. the files were 16-bit TIFF and not JPG.

if jpg file is the best your dealer can do, then perhaps this dealer is not equip to handle your needs. i suggest looking around for professional labs that can do quality scans for you. my lab charged me between 1 and 2$ per mb, and burning to CD is extra.

i hope this was helpful.

—dan

edit -you're in the netherlands? here's what i found by chance. http://www.acecam.com/holland.html.
    Last edited by Daniel; 12th January 2008 at 18:25. Reason: added additional information - url.

Manatee

Thanks Jaap and Dan.

I asked around and I will use another lab. (Jaap; Kleurgamma in Amsterdam)

It appears that I only got low res. scans from my dealer.

Rob