The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Auto HDR from RAW?

Rawfa

Hi Guys,

Is there a software that automaticly generates several exposures when you drop in your raw file so that latter you may do some HDR?

cheers,

Rafa

etrigan63

I believe Photomatix lets you do that and a PS plugin called Topaz Adjust. Topaz is an el-cheapo clone of Lucis Art which is way expensive.

etrigan63

Don, that PSCS4 function requires several bracketed exposures. THe OP wants to drop in a RAW file and then extract bracketed images from it and then merge to HDR. I suppose one could write a PS action to do this automatically.

Rawfa

I've been told that on another forum that Photomatix Pro 3.0 does this...but it's a video forum and the guy didn't elaborate much on his comment. Can anyone confirm?

etrigan63

I own Photomatix 3.0 and can confirm the function is there. I will take some test shots tomorrow and post them here.

Rawfa

Many thanks, Carlos! It sounds like an estremely practical solution for HDR. Have you ever tried comparing the RAW solution to the multiple photos with different exposed photos?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
After reading this I opened my PM PRO and tried to find the action that let you create a range of "exposures" from one RAW file. I couldn't find it. Where should I look?

While it was open I tried another HDR. I just can't seem to like the colors it produces. I clearly need to try the whole technique a bit more before completely dismissing it, but I've yet to come up with a result that makes it seem worth it.

jonoslack

While it was open I tried another HDR. I just can't seem to like the colors it produces. I clearly need to try the whole technique a bit more before completely dismissing it, but I've yet to come up with a result that makes it seem worth it.
HI Tim
I couldn't agree more - I don't think I've seen the product of any of these programs which looks anything other than horrible. . . . mind you, I think the technique can be used usefully if you do it 'manually', and I've done it on occasions to bring out some dynamic range in different parts of a picture.

My feeling is that each picture is different, and it's impossible for a generalised program to do anything other than guess at the best results.

When I'm doing it I usually create three layers in photoshop, one for each exposure of the raw file, and then work them according to what seems best.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
You're right about each image being different. It's unlikely any software that's making changes based on strictly numeric values is ever likely to agree with my own interpretation of what an image should look like.

But the exercise of attempting to fiddle with HDR has instilled an idea back into my head. I say back because in the old film days, exposure bracketing every shot was pretty much standard (at least for those that weren't candid or action shots). There have been many times I wish I had done that with my digital camera so that I could later blend the images in PS. My attempts to make versions at different exposures from the RAW file aren't always that successful.

etrigan63

Well I did a couple of tests today with my Hartblei and I ran them though PM Pro to produce an HDR. Here are the results:

The weather today is quite dismal as a horrid cold front will be sinking the temps down into the 40's (F), still the process added some interest to the shots.

Rawfa

Thanks, Carlos. After seeing your examples I think that even though processing an HDR from a raw file is a more practical solution it doesn't have the same extreme results as shooting several exposures...which is a shame for me, since I never use a tripod.

etrigan63

Well the weather today was pretty dismal. Overcast and blah. Didn't look as good as the photo. Pretty happy with the Hartblei. The shift worked very nicely and kept the building lines nice and parallel.