The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Workflow help needed ( Mac Pro with internal SSD and External HDD )

celina20

Hi. My new Mac Pro late 2013 ( Quad Core, 16 Gb RAM , SSD 500 GB ) is coming with a WD 2 TB HDD to use as a external HDD. I will use it mainly for photo editing ( large D800 Raw files ) with Photoshop and Lightroom ( for printing only )

Can you tell which of the two procedures will be the best to obtain optimal performance ?

1) Use the SSD to import my photos, process locally and then save them off to WD external HDD

2) Transfer files to external HDD and edit them while they sit on that drive, connected via usb 3.0.

Thanks a lot

Luis

k-hawinkler

Hi. My new Mac Pro late 2013 ( Quad Core, 16 Gb RAM , SSD 500 GB ) is coming with a WD 2 TB HDD to use as a external HDD. I will use it mainly for photo editing ( large D800 Raw files ) with Photoshop and Lightroom ( for printing only )

Can you tell which of the two procedures will be the best to obtain optimal performance ?

1) Use the SSD to import my photos, process locally and then save them off to WD external HDD

2) Transfer files to external HDD and edit them while they sit on that drive, connected via usb 3.0.

Thanks a lot

Luis

Why don't you try both methods and find out?
I have my images sitting on an external SSD RAID that can go at about 2 GB/s.
The apps and cache files sit on the internal PCIe-based Flash boot drive.
Works well with CS6 and LR5.
However, the Adobe apps seem comparatively pretty slow with I/O.
I wonder whether one can set some preferences to improve that.
My nMP has 64 GB of memory.
I have never seen it fully used so far.