The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Apple confirms 'no new development' for Aperture

Hosermage

I just saw the news and was about to post this. I'm not an Aperture user, but I'm sadden by the loss of an alternate solution to Lightroom.

dwood

I bought Aperture when it first hit the market and used it for a couple of years. It became apparent pretty early on though, that Apple wasn't going to develop the product in any meaningful way. Too bad. I think it had the potential to be excellent. I feel for the folks who have been loyal to Apple/Aperture for all these years. All they've received in the past few or so is camera updates, and now this.

Godfrey

As I wrote elsewhere, I have both Aperture and Lightroom, have had them both since before they were v1.0. I used to use Aperture for specific things that LR didn't support, as I prefer the way LR works. But in the past three years, that use has gone to nil.

In all cases, it's best to keep your workflow agnostic of a specific tool as best you can. Some things don't survive and better things come along—happened in film just as it does in digital. You should always be in a position to take best advantage of whatever is available. For instance, I simply wouldn't use Aperture for anything serious until I could always reference my original photos rather than embed them in its proprietary data structures. And whenever I "finish" a photo, with either, I export it to a "finished work" repository as a full rez, 16bit per component TIFF file to 'future proof' my labors. Relying on any specific application to be around forever has always seemed a foolish thing to do.

I'll be interested to see what Photos offers, both at first and later as it is developed. I hope it is a quantum jump beyond iPhoto, as iPhoto has always driven me a little nutty with its weirdnesses from its earliest days to the present.

Meanwhile, I just bought another ten packs of Impossible film for my Polaroids. If I get good enough at getting the results I want from them, my photo image processing needs become many many times simpler. Same for using the in-camera JPEG engines of my digital cameras.

There are always alternatives to work with ... :)

G

Last edited:

JJB

I'm an Aperture user since day 1, both for its pro editing, and for its digital asset management features. But I also use NIK plug-ins for Aperture, primarily Silver EFEX Pro.

This terse "announcement" (how about a few more details, Apple?) really doesn't move me away from Apple yet, as too many questions remain, primarily concerning the features that will be offered in "photo for OS."

I like their attempt to unify files across devices (via iCloud), and maybe even their attempt to streamline iPhoto and Aperture into a single app - so long as pro editing features are not lost.

If Apple continues to offer solid editing features, plug-in support, and improved file management, then there might be little impact to my workflow after all, and no reason to leave. :rolleyes: I'm still hoping this is the case, anyway!

Last edited:

Godfrey

The little bit I've seen of Photos so far is actually encouraging to me. The extensible design might do it very well.

I keep an open mind about it, although Lightroom, Flare, PS CS5, and Tonality Pro are doing everything I need very well at present.

G

Godfrey

As far as I can see is a good companion to the i-phone.
Which might be said is exactly the point. Apple's not stupid: the success of the iPhone accounts for a huge percentage of the company's income, and the iPhone 6's camera in particular has been a big contribution to its success story this past quarter. Why shouldn't they focus on their primary market?

Kodak would have done much better if they'd focused on where their primary market was going rather than on what they insisted was the right thing to do from their traditional point of view... ]'-)

G

stephengilbert

"Good thing Capture One Pro has an Aperture catalog import function and better image processing to boot!"

Wow, Phase One makes software as well as hardware? Tell us more.