Site Sponsors

Thread: epson 3800 and Harman gloss fb al

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

epson 3800 and Harman gloss fb al

I have been printing 17x25 on harman gloss fb al with the Epson 3800 and wanted to get some feedback from anyone on dealing with warpage and scratches on the resulting prints-

I have the gap set to "wider", paper thickness set to 5mm and drying time set to +25, what harman recommends. Still, going through, the paper warps from the differential between the wet sections and the dry edges (1" around for example) and you end up with long thin scuffs running in the direction of the paper feed, presumably from something internal, I don't think the pizza wheels. This is on the rear manual feed.

Other papers like Hannehmuhle fine art pearl don't warp as much I have found but I really like the harman gloss.

Haven't experimented with Epson exhibition gloss.

Any wisdom to impart? I really like the Harman gloss.

A friend of mine wants to come over and print a 17x36-I am a bit worried that the warpage will be really bad with all that wet paper.

I have considered a hair dryer blowing on the emerging surface, or conversely, a humidifier blowing moist air across the surface

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: epson 3800 and Harman gloss fb al

Hmmm... I'm using wide and 4mm and no added drying time and not getting scratches. Before that, I would get them, but running in the direction of the head sweep, not the paper feed. So not sure what to say to help...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Hmmm... I'm using wide and 4mm and no added drying time and not getting scratches. Before that, I would get them, but running in the direction of the head sweep, not the paper feed. So not sure what to say to help...
    duh I posted this in the wrong forum! You can move it if you want.

well, interesting you have no added drying time-Harman does recommend added drying time, but I wonder if this makes the buckling worse?

what paper path are you using for the Harman/size?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm using the same size as you, 17x25. You might be on to something re the added drying time allowing for *more* buckling -- maybe worth trying one with it off...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use wide and the usual sheet feeder, no problems, no added drying time. 4 and wider
    -bob

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=robertwright;70382]
    I have the gap set to "wider", paper thickness set to 5mm and drying time set to +25, what harman recommends. Still, going through, the paper warps from the differential between the wet sections and the dry edges (1" around for example) and you end up with long thin scuffs running in the direction of the paper feed, presumably from something internal, I don't think the pizza wheels. This is on the rear manual feed.

I have a similar problem with scuffing in the middle of a 13x19 print that I almost did not see. Still trying to ascertain the resolution....may necessitate a different paper. I picked up Hannemuhle FineArt Barta to see if it is any stronger.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yeah they are very thin fine scuffs, lines really, in the surface gloss. I almost think it is because the paper has to bend coming thorough the rear path, it hits part of the mechanism somewhere.

If I recall, on 17wide you can't use the front feeder, which is what I would use. or some other reason.

still I love the paper. I will try it with no added drying time.

[QUOTE=docmoore;70466]
    Quote Originally Posted by robertwright View Post

I have a similar problem with scuffing in the middle of a 13x19 print that I almost did not see. Still trying to ascertain the resolution....may necessitate a different paper. I picked up Hannemuhle FineArt Barta to see if it is any stronger.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

as suspected, no added drying time results in no added scratches!

paper is past the pizza wheels by the time it swells.

harman should amend it's inserts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe i need to buy that paper and try it, for now i am just using Epson Luster 17x22 and Harman Fiber Matte 13x19

DougDolde

I always print papers like this with the rear sheet feed (manual) and set the platen gap to WIDER. Never had a problem. I prefer Epson Exhibition Fiber though.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Paper thickness 5mm? Wow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thats not the actual paper thickness, that is just what harman recommends as a setting in the driver.