Site Sponsors

Thread: Processes Images in Capture One Too Dark

Post Thanks / Like

Processes Images in Capture One Too Dark

Hi,

When I process images in capture one the processed images look wildly different than the files in capture one. I have tried exporting as jpg and tiff, with many different profiles, all to the same effect. The only time I have been able to get the files to look correct is with the "jpg quickproof" option. I have attached the two files so you guys can see the difference. This is driving me crazy, any ideas?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Processes Images in Capture One Too Dark

Can you show a shot of the C1 process settings tab that you are using when you generate a 'dark' image?

The only thing that comes to mind would be that you have the wrong ICC profile selected? Hard to say without more information.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I selected a bunch of different icc profiles, prophoto, adobe1998, srgb, all to the same result. The other odd thing is that some images do export normally, with the exact same output settings, while others are dark. I have attached a screen shot of the process settings tab.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can't really help with a jpg that tiny. Even with my specs on that's just too compressed and small to make out anything of use in the settings.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

oops, my bad. I sort of figured it out though. I had set the curve on the images to "linear response" instead of "film standard". It seems that when i exported the images, c1 applied my adjustments on top of a different curve. When I began from the "film standard" then exported fine. I obviously do not understand how these curves work, the reason i switched in the first place is the 'film standard" curve was way too contrasty. The linear curve gave me the most information to start with. Is there a way to actually use this?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It looks like maybe you're doing Reproduction or Cultural Heritage work?

Cultural Heritage Digitization via Capture One is one of our specialities. If you want to give me a call at the office I can give you a several-minute crash course on establishing proper exposure using Capture One set to Linear curve.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183